Forum Index > Photography Talk > Photo/computer question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed May 06, 2015 10:50 am 
I wasn't quite sure where to post this question but hopefully some techies here can help! My old computer with Photoshop on it is nearly deceased. My version of Photoshop is the original (CS) so I can't download it to my new computer. What I'm looking for is a computer (PC or laptop) that has Windows XP (or something similarly compatible with the old Photoshop) to use exclusively for photo editing. No internet, not even a lot of memory since images will be stored elsewhere. Any thoughts about where to look? I'm trying really hard to avoid a PS subscription...it just seems wrong. rolleyes.gif Thanks!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed May 06, 2015 12:42 pm 
Do you have install disks/how would you install the old version on a different machine?

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed May 06, 2015 1:10 pm 
adobe made CS2 available for free via download awhile back. Should be able to download it on the new computer? not sure if it works with the new version of widows?

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed May 06, 2015 1:21 pm 
hmm, I would look around and see if you can find one of the older editions of Photoshop, CS5 or CS6. However, you will probably need to go to Ebay for them. You might also try an alternative editor to photoshop such as GIMP an open source editor that is completely free. For a new computer I recommend you get one with Windows 7 instead of Windows XP. What with Microsoft dropping support for XP it's not a great option, and would probably be hard to find. Windows 7 is easy to use for anyone familiar with XP, probably easier in fact. Plus, if you have windows 7 (or 8) Windows 10 will be a free upgrade when it releases this summer. Don't even try to find a computer without built in Wi-Fi, they don't exist these days! Do you want a desktop or a laptop? Desktop=more power for price but less portability, laptop=portability but less performance. Expect to pay $300-$400 for a really cheap system, and $400-$600 for a better, mid-range PC. You may not need a lot of hard drive space, but the more RAM you have faster you will be able to edit photos. Look for a minimum of 4GB. I haven't been in the market for a new PC in quite some time, so I would be hard pressed to recommend a specific model.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 06, 2015 1:27 pm 
Two thoughts: 1) do you have any idea what's going wrong with the old computer? Hard drives (a typical point of failure over time) can be replaced, when the computers just start running slowly due to the layers upon layers of software patches and crapware/malware sneaking on etc. they can be wiped clean and you can reinstall the operating system from scratch, you can run memory checks to see if the memory is failing (in which case you could replace the memory)... It's possible you could get it going again if you have the motivation and ability (or know someone who has the ability...), with it costing more in time than $ 2) You can find no shortage of used/refurbished XP machines for sale at relatively cheap prices online (e.g. Amazon has as ton...). Generally I'd agree with the comment above about avoiding XP, but if you're just looking to run old software from that era and you aren't planning to connect the machine to the internet, I think you will avoid most of the issues you would otherwise face from having an unsupported (i.e. risk of security issues due to your OS no longer being updated to reflect emerging threats, and inability to run newer software).

Pef

Pef
PostWed May 06, 2015 3:52 pm 
There is also something called "compatibility mode" you can set in windows 7/8, I have used it successfully to run a few older program, though not Photoshop unfortunately, but a bit of goggling indicates it can work: http://blog.rainwebs.net/2013/01/27/adobe-cs-2-on-windows-8/ http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-run-older-programs-under-windows-8.html Good luck!

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed May 06, 2015 4:16 pm 
I have the Photoshop discs, but they aren't compatible with Windows 7 or 8. I contacted Adobe and they said no go. And I would really rather not get into a new editing tool right now because I really like some of the features of PS and I'm used to it. So I'm looking for something used with Windows XP. Jim, you make a very good point about trying to salvage the old computer. I'm assuming it's almost dead but I should probably make sure... Pef, I'll give the compatability mode a try. Thanks, all!

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostWed May 06, 2015 5:23 pm 
I have the cs2 version of PS elements (5) it works fine in windows 7 As stated before the CS2 products were released --- CS2 downloads at https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html# You may have to sign in to Adobe to get here though. If that doesn't work PM me and I can e-mail you an excel file to the links and Product codes to all the CS2 products

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 06, 2015 5:31 pm 
A few other old computer revival tips in addition to reinstalling the OS from scratch (i.e. on top of a freshly formatted hard drive or new hard drive), replacing the hard drive, and doing a memory diagnostic... Open up the computer and give it a "chip massage." With the power cord disconnected (important!) you basically press on the various chips enough to flex the board under them just a little. This won't work on a lot of newer machines due to changes in how chips are installed, but older machines tend to have chips with little legs that have been inserted into sockets, and over time you can end up with some oxidation on some of these, and the flexing can move the legs just enough to restore the electrical connection. Sounds implausible but I have most assuredly fixed some problems (including memory errors) with this move on older machines. By the same token, all the circuit cards that are inserted into slots on the mother board have electrical contacts that can oxidize - so (again with the power cord disconnected) pull out each card and reinsert it. As my pal who taught me this tricks put it, "it's like giving vitamins to your computer!" And the nice thing about this is it is totally free and you can try it before you try anything else. But if I had to bet, I'd put money on one or both of the hard drive and needing a fresh install of the OS, and possibly on some of the memory failing (replacing memory chips is usually not a big deal, though again you may need help from an IT-aware friend or shop if you need to do this).

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed May 06, 2015 8:05 pm 
If I recall correctly if you start the computer while holding ctrl and F11 it will ask you if you want to restore to original factory settings. Maybe this only works for certain brands, but I know HP and Dell have a restore to original setting process built in. This will remove all content from the computer and put it back to where it was when it was first purchased. After this you can reinstall software such as PS. As Joker suggested, this often works wonders. If it doesn't, then you've proven that you have bigger problems. You may want to check with Microsoft for updates after doing this as well.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed May 06, 2015 8:34 pm 
Good ideas. One more question...any recommendations on a reliable shop on the east side?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu May 07, 2015 3:18 pm 
Sorry - no, have always done this sort of stuff DIY, for better or worse...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 07, 2015 8:00 pm 
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostFri May 08, 2015 12:05 pm 
CS2 works very similar to older versions on photoshop. There wouldn't be much of a learning curve, if any. Not like new-old version of microsoft office mad.gif