Forum Index > Food & Grub > suggestion request for ultralight cooking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostTue May 12, 2015 9:35 pm 
mary janes farm offers a bulk option for their backcountry meals. i would like to figure out something ultralight and non-carcinogenic to mix and store the dehydrated food and boiling water in for the 10 minutes it needs for cooking. is there some sort of disposable wax lined bag i could use? where could i purchase them? thanks for giving this your consideration :>)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 12, 2015 10:22 pm 
Wax and polyethylene are essentially the same chemical compound. Wax is carbon chains a few hundred carbon atoms vs polyethylene with several thousand. If you want to avoid such complications the easiest way is a "pot cozy" basically a sleeping bag for your cook pot. Andionized aluminum is good choice for pot material. Stainless steel is heavier, but considered the safest material from a biological point of view.

contour5

contour5
PostTue May 12, 2015 11:00 pm 
A lot of sous vide kitchens have started to switch from polyethylene to food-grade silicone cooking bags They're heavier than ziplocks and about 750 times as expensive. I suspect it's all a cynical plot to extract my money while they kill me slowly. An Article about sous vide and plastic RH nailed it, (most waxed paper bags are made using paraffin derived from petrochemicals). Safer to re-hydrate in the pot but I'm too lazy to rinse out my JB pot after dinner. And can't stand the taste of spicy food in my morning coffee... I usually let the boiling water cool down a little before I dump it in the ziplock full of food. Takes a bit longer to re-hydrate but I like to think the lower temp causes less petrochemical/estrogen/BSA to get released into my food. And gives me time to have a smoke before I eat. I'm boiling filtered water, of course.

iron

iron
PostTue Jun 02, 2015 11:18 am 
as you may recall, hollywood, we just use cottage cheese containers and dump into there. safe? who knows. does it matter? probably not. also, i'm sure none of the MJ foods takes 10 mins to cook. probably more like 10 seconds.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jun 04, 2015 2:19 pm 
Thanks for asking this because I have thought about this too. I found these sources for mylar food bags: http://www.mylarbagsdirect.com/ https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency-supplies/food-storage-equipment/mylar-bags-for-food-storage I have also rinsed out and used the bags from Backpacker's Pantry, and other brands, but not for more than a few nights in a row and then the bags are pretty beat up and don't seal as well. Those bubble wrap protective pouches for shipping work well as a food bag cooking cozy in cold weather. Just slide your meal in and wait. My boots or a winter hat have also doubled as food bag cozies sometimes.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.