Forum Index > Trail Talk > It's not personal, just move! (Being passed on the trail)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostWed May 27, 2015 3:16 pm 
Thinking out loud is a good way to let others know you're on your way. lol.gif A funny comment is a nice way to break the ice, folks usually step aside. If not clear your nose, most cringe at the sound of snot rockets. On the blacktop or trail, I move aside. Nobody likes tail or trail gaters or lane campers. Horses get the right of way. I'll ask riders where they want me. Especially horsewomen. embarassedlaugh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 27, 2015 11:37 pm 
Freeski wrote:
joker wrote:
This lack of awareness is actually a well-known issue in computer interface design, wherein younger designers create stuff that works great for them but presents usability problems for even only-slightly-older folks.
that's interesting. Interfacing with any computer is a learning process and not intuitive at all unless a person has prior experence with a simular op system.You still have to learn the button pushes.
Indeed, though this problem tends to be even more fundamental - if you can't read the text on the button or hear the prompt then it becomes really tough to understand the interface. There are degrees - if you need to strain to perceive what the interface is trying to tell you, the cognitive load reduces your ability to figure out what those darn software folks want you to do now. As for representing human behavior, probabilistic models seem to help (big shock - we can be somewhat random!) but we still have a very long ways to go to do more than model relatively basic things. A lot of smart people have worked very hard and spent craploads to figure out which ad you're most likely to click...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 28, 2015 12:16 am 
Brucester wrote:
Horses get the right of way.
thank you. one thing to not be aware of that. quite another to be aware and refuse to go along with it. not sure if the comments in that regard are in jest - just made for the purpose of getting some reaction - or if they're for real. still not sure why this subject repeatedly comes up - who passes who, who has the right of way, blah de blah blah. there's all kinds of trails out there where you won't meet other people. but I guess sometimes it's way more fun to whine about it on the internets and let everybody know it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me it's all about me

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu May 28, 2015 6:10 am 
No, it is all about ME> agree.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Gil

Gil
PostThu May 28, 2015 8:19 am 
I'll move when asked politely. And I'll be the judge of what "politely" is.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
FUN CH

FUN CH
PostThu May 28, 2015 9:25 am 
Gil wrote:
So if your assumption is that they are being rude you purposely block the trail? What if your assumption is incorrect, like say, the person has poor social skill development issues brought about by brain injury, autism, abused as a child, etc?

'' what did you dream, it's alright we told we told you what to dream....so welcome to the machine'' David Gilmor (pink floyd)
greatoutdoors

greatoutdoors
PostThu May 28, 2015 10:21 am 
Ski wrote:
still not sure why this subject repeatedly comes up - who passes who, who has the right of way, blah de blah blah.there's all kinds of trails out there where you won't meet other people.but I guess sometimes it's way more fun to whine about it on the internets
Hey, Dirtbagglissader, looks like you now have a condescending Dad to go along with your disapproving Mom! It's perfect! Ski did this at the end of a trail running thread I was involved with, too. The topic is not important to him, but he generously allows us kids to talk about it for about 9 pages before telling us all to pipe down.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 28, 2015 10:42 am 
no no no ..... you got it all wrong .... I was doing other stuff so I didn't see the thread until it had gone on for several pages .... by all means, complain all you want. that is what the internets are for, right? I'm going to go have a cup of tea and try to figure out something I can complain about too, like maybe my socks are too tight or something like that. but you are correct: it's not important to me. generally I don't run into other people unless it's a local city park, and then I just blow by them. I make no attempt to alert them to my presence, because most of the time they've got an Ipod plugged into their ears or they're busy texting their BFF on their cell phone so they're oblivious to their surroundings and other people . sometimes it's a challenge to squeeze between the strollers and the leashes on their poodles, though.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gil

Gil
PostThu May 28, 2015 11:22 am 
Freeski wrote:
Gil wrote:
So if your assumption is that they are being rude you purposely block the trail? What if your assumption is incorrect, like say, the person has poor social skill development issues brought about by brain injury, autism, abused as a child, etc?
What if they were aliens and could only communicate via brain waves and I was wearing my OR TinFoil Sombrero?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostThu May 28, 2015 12:28 pm 
williswall wrote:
With age comes serenity.
Not in all cases. I recently came up from behind on an older gentleman (maybe 60-ish), who saw me coming (he kept looking back at me), and tried speeding up. I thought it was hilarious as he kept looking over his shoulder, sweating profusely and obviously panting heavily, his footing flailing on the rocks as he was pushing himself too hard. It was like he was in a panic. This went on for about 5-10 minutes, before he finally caved on a steep stretch and reluctantly let me pass. I'm young, very fit, and tend to hike fast as I get a rush from pushing myself, especially when hiking alone. For this reason, I don't get annoyed by trail runners passing me - I feel like I understand their trip. The only annoyances I have are the groups of young tech workers checking out "this whole outdoorsy thing" on Saturdays on trails like Mt Si, etc. Never had a problem or felt hated for hiking fast in the backcountry.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
FUN CH

FUN CH
PostThu May 28, 2015 12:50 pm 
Gil wrote:
Freeski wrote:
Gil wrote:
What if they were aliens and could only communicate via brain waves and I was wearing my OR TinFoil Sombrero?
Ok, lets use your example. Would you purposely block the trail if you percieve rude behavior? Just asking.

'' what did you dream, it's alright we told we told you what to dream....so welcome to the machine'' David Gilmor (pink floyd)
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostThu May 28, 2015 1:18 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu May 28, 2015 1:30 pm 
Whoever has typed more than twenty words on this boring and trivial topic has too much time on their hands.

FUN CH

FUN CH
PostThu May 28, 2015 2:59 pm 
Foist wrote:
Whoever has typed more than twenty words on this boring and trivial topic has too much time on their hands.
says the man with over 2800 posts doh.gif

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu May 28, 2015 3:09 pm 
What about using one's common sense and being courteous? (9 words)