Forum Index > Trip Reports > Yozoo Butte, Hamilton Buttes, Twin Sisters, Dixon Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon May 25, 2015 8:57 pm 
Even with questionable weather, I wasn't going to let this weekend slip by without some good peaks to show for it. I joined up with Bob Bolton to summit several obscure peaks in Lewis County, each with at least 1000' of prominence; our theory was with greater prominence comes better view potential. Unfortunately, the weather never cooperated in that regard. Bob is a great guy and I was happy to see him again; we do not get too many opportunities to join up for trips despite us having many similar interests and parallels (and I have even been referred to as "Young Bob" or "Little Bob" by some mutual peakbagging buddies). What was in store for us was 1-1/2 days of pure fun. Our first objective was our highest priority of the weekend, Yozoo Butte. Yozoo is seldom climbed and it is located in a region perhaps most commonly visited by dirt bikers and hunters. Bob and I each discussed possible routes but we decided to give one of his a try. It ended up being a great approach that involved a great trail, an off-trail gully climb (with minor veggie belaying), minimal brush, and a nice summit. There are steep cliffs on many parts of the mountain as well bad bushwhacking at other areas, so we were glad to determine such a great approach.
Bob leaves the snow below...
Bob leaves the snow below...
Yozoo ridgetop...
Yozoo ridgetop...
Young Bob at Yozoo summit
Young Bob at Yozoo summit
After returning from Yozoo Butte, Bob offered to drive me as far as he could towards nearby Hamilton Buttes. Bob had visited there several weeks earlier, knew my car had NO CHANCE of getting close to the trailhead, and knew I would not take very long. We were stopped well short of the trailhead due to deep snowpack but I predicted I would return within one hour (it only took me 57 minutes roundtrip, including 10 minutes at the summit). In the book "Fire Lookouts of the Northwest" it is written that a cab was built atop Hamilton Buttes during the mid-1920s and later a L-4 cab was built atop the north summit during 1938. The north summit is the higher summit and has the USGS Benchmark, although I found more evidence of the past lookout at the large flat area of the southern summit I walked across first.
This way!
This way!
At first of Hamilton Buttes
At first of Hamilton Buttes
Higher ground over there!
Higher ground over there!
In Memoriam
In Memoriam
Hamilton USGS Benchmark
Hamilton USGS Benchmark
Young Bob at Hamilton summit
Young Bob at Hamilton summit
After returning from Hamilton Buttes, Bob and I ventured northward to Twin Sisters. Some people have approached from the east but I wondered about possible ridgeline snowpack and extra distance along that route, so I suggested in advance the western approach via Klickitat Trail #7. Bob went along with the plan and I was glad to be able to drive my little car to that trailhead. We were rewarded with a great trail system through old-growth and second-growth forests. By the time we reached snow, we completely avoided it by heading upslope until reaching the first of many rocky pinnacles along the ridgetop. From there, we wove in and out of trees, up and down side-traverses, minor Class 2+ scrambling, a large steep hardpan area that seemed very out of place on the ridge, and a final steep ascent to a gentle summit. Actually, we found this "variety pack" of an ascent to be quite unexpected as well as quite enjoyable. I found a Fay Pullen register, which had few signatures. To help demonstrate just how seldom this peak is climbed, here are the names I compiled through some research online as well as in the Pullen register: 1975: Tom DeRoo 1981: Paul Wichman 1996: Matt Robertson 2008: Fay Pullen 2012: Eric Willhite, Stefan Feller May 23, 2015 (a.k.a. the day before us): Eric Noel & Ken Jones* May 24, 2015: Bob and me *I think it is entirely possible that this was the first time ever that this peak was climbed by two different parties on consecutive days. I am sure there have been other ascents but this list gives a good indication of how infrequent this peak is summited.
Glad we did not go down there!
Glad we did not go down there!
One of many rock pinnacles...
One of many rock pinnacles...
Scurrying around pinnacles...
Scurrying around pinnacles...
Hardpan Central!
Hardpan Central!
A Pullen register. Few signatures.
A Pullen register. Few signatures.
Bob at Twin Sisters summit
Bob at Twin Sisters summit
We had been scouting out another route for this peak to/from our approach and decided to try it, essentially making a loop of sorts. It avoided the fun stuff but also saved us a lot of time in relation to lessening daylight. It also allowed us to find two of the coolest sections of the entire mountain: one section which I called "Boulder Central" (massive boulders all along a large slope) and another section where deep chasms were in the ground and gradually breaking away from peak. The chasms reminded me of one I found on Bauerman Ridge in the Pasayten Wilderness but these were of a much grander scale. After reaching our vehicles, we drove back to Randle where Bob left his vehicle. I drove us west to Morton for some late-night Mexican food before heading back towards Packwood for the evening.
Summit ridge in view!
Summit ridge in view!
Bob at "Boulder Central"
Bob at "Boulder Central"
One of many deep chasms
One of many deep chasms
The next morning, Bob and I had our sights set on Dixon Mountain. The road leading towards the unofficial trailhead is in HORRIBLE condition; after braving our way across several channels and major rutted sections, we opted to just start hiking up the road. It added 3-4 miles roundtrip but it was easy-going. We located the "trailhead" for the unmaintained trail, which was easy to follow in most places despite brushy spots in places. In fact, the brush was super-saturated and we were SOAKED on the way up as a result. Bob commented that it was the most wet he had ever gotten during a hike during which it did not rain or drizzle. Yes, it was THAT wet. We both loved this trail. The trail semi-disappears in some sections but was easy to find again. The upper sections of the trail are getting rutted and mangled by marmot holes everywhere.... or at least we figured they might be marmots. The summit ridge is wide enough for a path and not too much else. It is VERY odd to find such a notable trail leading to such an obscure summit; there must have been a reason for its creation but we found no evidence of anything man-made on the summit ridge or upper slopes. The summit is a neat place. This peak probably has excellent views; once again, we did not get to enjoy any such outward views due to thick clouds. The low clouds lifted just enough to see the lower halves of several nearby peaks but not much else.
NOT a good road...
NOT a good road...
Pretty good trail
Pretty good trail
A lot of bear potential
A lot of bear potential
Dixon Mountain
Dixon Mountain
Dixon upper slopes in view
Dixon upper slopes in view
Bob on Dixon summit ridge
Bob on Dixon summit ridge
Overall, it was a great 1-1/2 days. Four peaks and over 7000' cumulative gain is not a bad way to spend some free time in the mountains. Special thanks to Bob for an enjoyable multi-peak trip.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue May 26, 2015 6:03 am 
Eric, I added you to 2012. It is just a general list, anyway, and not to imply everyone who has summited the peak. Your photos confirm this would have had a great view. The Fay Pullen register was sitting right out in the open, although Stefan, Ken, or Eric Noel may have left it at its current location after your visit. I don't sign a lot of registers but then when I want to for this peak it was completely soggy! doh.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue May 26, 2015 8:22 am 
Funny that you guys decided to do it the day after us unknowingly. We definitely had some route finding issues and some false starts poking around the Eastridge as there are some cliffs and the map also has the trail map incorrectly. The register was hitting a little more in the trees but right at the highest ground a couple feet away from where we left it. Smelled really funky when I open the register tube. Completely soaked and though we tried a bit to dry it out we didn't have much success. We signed it but I don't even think our names are really very visible.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue May 26, 2015 5:34 pm 
Eric wrote:
We signed it but I don't even think our names are really very visible.
If you also signed it, we could only read Ken's signature... barely. We had no clue you had been there until later that night, when Bob was checking one of our favorite websites. wink.gif During our ascent, I made several comments to Bob regarding the footprints I found; sometimes they were in different places. After learning you were up there with Ken, it made more sense. Too bad you guys had to deal with snow, though... our route was snow-free the entire time. hockeygrin.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 28, 2015 12:38 am 
Yozoo? you guys go up Bishop Ridge? yes, approaching Twin Sisters from the west side is way mo' betta. same with Pompey and Cispus. not nearly as buggy as that approach from the east just past Jackpot Lake. road might not be passable this early, though. Pompey and Cispus were both fire lookouts. Twin Sisters is an obscure point nobody bothers with - the trail skirts around it. same/same with Castle. interesting to see the pics with snow - I only went up there early/late summer after most of it was melted out. if you ever get back up there and do Pompey, pick a clear day. view down into the Cowlitz valley is awesome.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."