Forum Index > Food & Grub > butter and honey mixture
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostWed May 13, 2015 7:51 am 
Has anyone tried mixing honey and butter together in equal amounts and then eating it with a spoon like pudding as a trail snack or dessert? (I seem to remember some arctic explorers doing this.) I plan to make some and give it a try at home and during a car camp on Mt Graham in a couple of weeks. But I know things can taste different on an extended backpack. I'm planning a 10 day backpack in the North Cascades for August, so I'm looking for simple foods that pack a lot of calories, are easy to digest (peanut butter is not one of these, at least for me), and taste good enough that I'll continue to want to eat it for the entire 10 days.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostWed May 13, 2015 9:49 am 
that is what you get at KFC a packet of honey butter for your biscuit. Not sure it is 50/50 however I would question stability over the haul. butter and sugar sounds like a great culture for bacteria and mold.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostWed May 13, 2015 9:59 am 
meandering Wa wrote:
that is what you get at KFC a packet of honey butter for your biscuit. Not sure it is 50/50 however I would question stability over the haul. butter and sugar sounds like a great culture for bacteria and mold.
good point about its stability. I know that raw honey is stable for years. However, if you dilute it with water, you end up with mead in a few days. I don't know what diluting with butter would do, other than the fact that butter is mostly fat and has very little water. Perhaps getting rid of the small amount of water that's in butter by making ghee with it before adding it to the honey would be a good idea. By the way, I am fortunate to know a professional bee keeper whose bees produce the best raw honey I've ever come across. He gets a couple of different honeys from his bees depending on the time of year of the harvest. The mesquite honey is exquisite, tasting essentially like candy. The wildflower honey is stronger, some would say it tastes almost medicinal. Probably because a lot of the wildflowers are from the local creasote bushes. In any case, I'm fortunate to have access to top quality honey, so I'm thinking I need to figure out a way to make it a significant part of my back country diet.

contour5

contour5
PostWed May 13, 2015 1:34 pm 
Baclava is a fine matrix for honey, and many varieties have a pretty good shelf life I usually substitute olive oil for butter on the trail. Much more stable/less messy in summer heat. Can be added to just about anything...
Quote:
that is what you get at KFC a packet of honey butter for your biscuit. Not sure it is 50/50 however
That's what you should get but it's actually "honey sauce and buttery spread". The honey sauce is almost entirely corn syrup. The ingredients of the buttery spread are a closely guarded industry secret, apparently. I'm addicted to Justin's Almond Butter with Maple Syrup single use squeeze packs. Real ingredients and really tasty (yeah, "sustainable" palm oil, who knows?). Cheaper if you buy whole jars, but the little squeezey packs are a perfect hit of booster fuel and can easily be pulled from a pocket and consumed without stopping.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostWed May 13, 2015 5:08 pm 
Honey is one of those products that isn't well regulated. It can say unheated and unfiltered, and still have been heated. It can say pure honey and end up having been adulterated with corn syrup. So it doesn't surprise me that the honey/butter packets have something in them besides pure honey and pure butter. Regarding the mixture I want to make, I'm not talking about eating a tiny packet sized amount. I'm talking about eating it like pudding or like ice cream. smile.gif (Olive oil is another product where fraud is rampant, especially in European oils. Check out the book, Extra Virginity, or go to extravirginity.com)

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu May 14, 2015 7:50 am 
Local raw honey (where you know the actual bee keeper) will last nearly forever. Add it to clarified butter, which is shelf stable for a year....and yum.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostThu May 14, 2015 8:58 am 
sarbar wrote:
Local raw honey (where you know the actual bee keeper) will last nearly forever. Add it to clarified butter, which is shelf stable for a year....and yum.
Thanks sarbar! That's my thinking too. And thanks to meanderingWA for questioning the long term stability of the mixture. Butter would probably work, but clarified butter (a.k.a. ghee) has removed all the water and milk solids AND it tastes great, so why not use it instead of butter and avoid a potential spoilage problem? Making clarified butter is easy, you just have to watch it when all the water gets boiled off so that you don't scorch the milk solids. If you let them brown slightly (but not turn black, so use low heat at this point), they add a nutty flavor to the finished product. You strain them out and you're left with this beautiful golden oil that is indeed yummy. I'll report back here regarding my trial mixes and how they work out on our camping trip.

Dante

Dante
PostThu May 14, 2015 3:25 pm 
You might experiment with Coconut Oil and Honey, too.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostMon Jun 01, 2015 2:23 pm 
Quick update: Oil and water do not mix. Neither do ghee and honey. I suspect coconut oil and honey would not work as well. So I'm back to using butter and honey for the mixture.

Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostMon Jun 01, 2015 2:25 pm 
Been eating this mixture on toast for 30+ years up.gif

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostMon Sep 21, 2015 12:34 pm 
update: The butter/honey mixture was fine for putting a little bit into oatmeal or on crackers, but we didn't eat it straight as often as I thought we would. So in the future, we'll probably not take it, or if we do take it, just a small amount. However, the hit that we wished we'd had more of was a mixture of ground sesame seed and dates. I am a very bad boy and did not record the ratio, but I'd start with 3 tablespoons sesame seeds (I used mechanically hulled seeds) per one medjool date. Try that ratio for sweetness and adjust per your taste. I ground the seeds in a spice grinder till pretty much turned into sesame butter, then dumped them into a food processor. Add the dates with the pits removed and process until smooth like clay. This stuff was great to eat as is. Next time we'll take more of it. You can try adding a pinch of cinnamon and cardamom. You could also use tahini instead of starting with the whole seeds, but I like the freshness factor of using whole seeds.

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostMon Sep 28, 2015 9:09 pm 
I first read the title thinking peanut butter and honey. But then I realized you were just talking about regular butter. I was thinking peanut butter and honey would be excellent to have as a booster snack on the go. I'm not sure how I would feel about sitting down and having a cup for dessert though. I know I loved PB&H sandwiches when I was a kid. I might just try making a small mix at home and see how it goes. I've got some year old honey combs in the pantry from a coworker who does bees on the side.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Oct 03, 2015 2:27 pm 
kawi_200 wrote:
I was thinking peanut butter and honey would be excellent to have as a booster snack on the go. I'm not sure how I would feel about sitting down and having a cup for dessert though.
PB and honey premixed in about a 50/50 ratio and cooled in the fridge makes an OUTSTANDING topping for ice cream. Yummy by itself as well, I think I might consider it a dessert.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm 
Old thread, last time out I smelled P-butter ? Buddy was eating a mixture of honey, P-butter and ? Said he uses for a fast zap. I said eat a cliff bar.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
JeffreyH

JeffreyH
PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:48 am 
Pretty interesting thread. I'll try this mixture myself. How haven't I heard about it before?