Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rideout & Silvertip 6/6-7/2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 2:08 pm 
Went out with Mike H., and Carrie H. this weekend and had a ridiculously great time! We drove up the Silver/Skagit road to around 22.4 miles and the second road on the left after the Maselpanik forest service road. At the end of this spur road we entered the terrible clearcut and went up the hot area until we went right out into the forest. Don't do this.. For some reason I did not follow Martin S. trip report close enough. Here are the correct directions (I will not explain our route...our route goes...just not as easily)--go up the clearcut any way you can (there is not any good way) and then about 600-700 feet above the spur road take climbers left up through a small gully (not the main gully which will be on climbers right). This small gully is near the apex of the clearcut and is also near the high point of where the top trees were cut down. From the top of the small gully follow flags going leftish and upish to a steep dirt section with a small handline. After you go up this section you will come to the ridgeline proper you want to stay on. There are flags to help you (if you see them) on the way up. At around 6000 feet you will come to meadows on the ridge and around 6400 feet you go up and to the right to trees following a semi observable goat/marmot path around the ridgeline. The ridgeline becomes very steep at 6600 feet hence the need to traverse to the right. This is where the views become magical. After traversing the meadows you will then come to your first source of water--none exists befor this! We continued onto the bench above and above the col between Rideout and Silvertip for camp. Plenty of spots. 6900 feet. I had help from Mike carrying my sleeping bag and crampons as I think I experienced a slight case of heat exhaustion on the way up. It was odd... After reaching camp we went up Rideout. My line...not so easy. Mike and Carrie took a more aesthetic and scrambling line. Our down line was more direct. Recommned -- best to make a semi counter clockwise arc from the Silvertip/Rideout col to the top of the south ridge (some sections of minor class 3) and then easy walk on the south ridge going north towards the summit. Back down to the tent and enjoy the awesome views and comeraderie from camp. Next morning we woke up and took the splendid ridge up towards Silvertip. There is a minor subsummit to get around--two ways are encountered. You can go low and around the subsummit on a minor 20 foot exposed ledge to easier scambling on south side OR you can go up to within 20 feet from the actual subsummit and then make a downward angle descent on a minor class 3 section. Your choice. After the subsummit it was up to the top. We went up snow to the summit. Pretty cool enjoying this place I have seen many a times from many Cascades summits and finally being here! Alas it was time to go down. The way down Carrie did an amazing job of following the flags. I kid you not. There was this one time, she pointed out a flag, ON THE GROUND, about 30 feet ahead. I swear it was under a branch. Following the flags helped us find the easier way down the ridgeline to the firepit of the clearcut. What an amazing time I had!
Approximate route: http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgICg98SlCgw

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 pm 
Those mountains look really fun. Any problems with the border crossing? I'm sorry to hear the Canadians are still logging those deep low elevation valley bottoms.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 6:31 pm 
very cool up.gif

Eric Eames
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jun 08, 2015 9:07 pm 
Aw, Silvertip... one of my favorite peaks in BC. Good going!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
iron

iron
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 6:34 am 
after emerging out of the forest of blah, the green hills started to sing to us. they were very steep and very pretty.
above the green were fields of white and views expanding from the eastern end of the pasayten all the way to baker. it is truly a commanding vantage point.
rideout was a fun little puzzle through the scrambly rock. it was very similar to devils tongue.
then a warm evening and enjoyable sunset with good company.
the next day was warm and wonderful.
the area seemed to be a strong blend of several other areas: devils tongue + pasayten + glacier national park. it was really cool.
soon, we were sitting on the summit of silvertip. while i'm normally not a fan of big prominence peaks, this one was quite nice. while the tallest in its neighborhood, it still had further neighbors that were taller and just as cool looking. so, no airplane views for us!
back down and more enjoying the good green stuff.
last but not least, stefan's favorite part of the trip - the clearcut.
i'm pretty lucky to be able to do trips like this with such awesome people. it was again amazing for me to see hotpantz cruise down the steep hillside back to the car just 14 months post hip replacement surgery. it's crazy, in a good way. on the way home we swam in silver lake which is truly a gem. then, a side trip to visit our newly retired friends' new home. it was quite a nice weekend.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Jun 09, 2015 6:03 pm 
wow! great pics and trip you guys up.gif another reason to have more canadian trips

Eric Eames
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jun 12, 2015 6:57 am 
iron wrote:
What an amazing shot! I love photos that tell a story and encapsulate the essence of a trip. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani