Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Disenchantments
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 9:55 am 
Lono wrote:
If you can't think of anywhere else to go in May or June them maybe NWH can compile a thinking list of alternatives.
Here: Pike Place Market Discovery Park Broadway Pioneer Square Alki Beach Spokane California

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 am 
Spokane?!?! why such hate, man? wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 10:23 am 
Ski wrote:
Spokane?!?! why such hate, man? wink.gif
No hate! I think Spokane is a lovely place. I strongly encourage people to visit.

Lutzman

Lutzman
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 12:24 pm 
As outdoorsmen/women we often like to think that all the 'other' people are part of the crowds, we belong there 'they' don't. Lets face it, if you were up there this weekend, you're part of the problem. Posting trip reports about how great conditions are up there don't exactly help the cause either. perhaps the FS should start mandating permits a bit earlier next season...

"Don't trust anyone who tells you it's all been done. They're either an outright poseur, or you're being sandbagged."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 12:31 pm 
This was kind of a fluke year with low snow and everything melting out so early. While I appreciate several comments that the quota system has helped the area recover somewhat from the 70's or 80's, the quota system is exactly why it got so hammered the last several weekends. You limit supply, demand is going to spike. You have a narrow window where people can get up there with self issued permits, of course it's going to be crowded. I did it 2 weekends ago, so I'm part of the problem too. I went with a couple people who'd never been up there before. They tried for lottery permits for later in the year but weren't successful. What else can you really expect to happen?

crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 12:39 pm 
Lutzman wrote:
As outdoorsmen/women we often like to think that all the 'other' people are part of the crowds, we belong there 'they' don't. Lets face it, if you were up there this weekend, you're part of the problem.
I think that's a little unfair to say the OP is part of the problem. Was he smearing his fecal matter on trees and flagging routes with his TP? Many of us have never left an ounce of trash in the wilderness, and we actually know how to take a dump in the woods.

Lutzman

Lutzman
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 pm 
sure, but as far as simple overcrowding goes we're all part of that problem, myself included.

"Don't trust anyone who tells you it's all been done. They're either an outright poseur, or you're being sandbagged."
crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 12:51 pm 
General overcrowding doesn't bother me that much. At least, not compared to seeing trash and feces in the wilderness.

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 1:21 pm 
Eric Willhite wrote:
About five percent of our trails are overcrowded from June to August. If you can't figure out which ones those are and avoid them during those times, then the problem is YOU.
Pretty much; I lmao when people come here for recommendations for hikes that are easy to get to and secluded

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 1:24 pm 
Lutzman wrote:
As outdoorsmen/women we often like to think that all the 'other' people are part of the crowds, we belong there 'they' don't. Lets face it, if you were up there this weekend, you're part of the problem. Posting trip reports about how great conditions are up there don't exactly help the cause either. perhaps the FS should start mandating permits a bit earlier next season...
This is why I rarely post reports

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 pm 
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
Pretty much; I lmao when people come here for recommendations for hikes that are easy to get to and secluded
...and great views.

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm 
Maybe they should build new trails up cannon from the old logging road and up rat creek and toketie; that would atleast spread the crowds out

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 1:27 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
...and great views.
In a mile or less with less than 200 feet of gain; also have running water

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 17, 2015 1:41 pm 
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
Maybe they should build new trails up cannon from the old logging road and up rat creek and toketie; that would atleast spread the crowds out
That would be great! Unlikely, but a very good idea.

BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 4:49 pm 
pula58 wrote:
The place is being loved to death. People building camp fires at Colchuck lake, trash all over the place at the lake , people hiking and camping in areas clearly designated as "Stay off, trail restoration," broken bottles hidden in tree stumps. Toilet paper and fecal messes. Yuck!
One week before permit season started, we had the exact opposite experience coming in the less popular Snow Lake route on our way to climb McClellan Peak. Very few people, immaculate prime campsites and clean toilets on the far side of Snow Lake. Same thing near Lake Viviane and other melted out sites around Leprechaun Lake. From our McClellan perch we didn't see a single tent in the upper snow covered Enchantments. Looks like just a little way uphill from Colchuck Lake, total solitude and spotless facilities could have been had. smile.gif