Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stawamus Chief,Price,Clinker,Brunswick,Golden Ears,June 2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jun 29, 2015 3:18 pm 
Stawamus Chief - June 24 Heather and I got a later start than we had planned, however we figured out during the drive that we actually had 4 days for our trip instead of 3. lol.gif I still don't know how we overlooked a day in our planning. We stopped in Squamish to hike up all 3 peaks of The Chief which makes for a nice loop. I was amazed by how steep the beginning of the trail is. I've heard that the trail up Mount Harvey is the steepest in BC, but can't confirm that.
middle chief from first
middle chief from first
Squamish
Squamish
Parts of the trail had aid in the form of chains and ladders. I made a game of trying to reach each summit without touching any of the aid. Up top we friction-walked clean granite slabs. Views of the glacial colored Howe Sound were awesome.
We stopped for a break on the lesser visited "3rd chief" which is the true high point and several Chipmunk-beggars harassed us while we ate.
Garibaldi through a notch
Garibaldi through a notch
Mount Price and Clinker Peak - June 25 This was our first long day of the trip at 16 miles and just over 5500 feet of gain. We hiked up past The Barrier which is a rotten volcanic sediment wall which holds in Barrier Lake as well as Lesser Garibaldi Lake and massive Garibaldi Lake. Signs near the parking lot suggest that this wall could collapse someday.
The Barrier
The Barrier
Garibaldi Lake
Garibaldi Lake
whoa blue
1 label
whoa blue
At Garibaldi Lake we had our first view of Price, Clinker, and Guard Mountain, however low clouds were hiding the taller peaks. I had chosen this peak specifically for the view of Garibaldi and Black Tusk so I had my fingers crossed it would clear up.
Price
Price
Guard
Guard
Behind the boat house we found our boot path leading through dense brush. Above the lake the path crossed rugged volcanic boulder fields before reaching the base of the Price. Supposedly Price and Clinker were the volcanic center before it shifted over to Garibaldi.
Price
Price
We ascended a rocky ridge alongside a snowfield until we came to the high point between the two peaks. We then descended to the saddle next to Price. There was no register on the summit. Garibaldi was still under clouds, but at least we had a nice view of The Table. I was surprised to see a giant volcanic arch on one side of the peak. On the other side, it looked like a hidden steep snow gully might be the only way to reach the summit.
Clinker
Clinker
The Table
2 labels
The Table
Garibaldi Lake
Garibaldi Lake
We retraced our steps to the saddle and then went over the middle point descending a very loose gully to a narrow section with a solid class 3 step. I kicked a large boulder out of the way below us which was poised above the step. As soon as it was out of the way, a cascade of scree slid down through the gap which had been blocked. Once it was clear we scrambled down and descended more scree to a small snow basin below Clinker.
class 3 step
class 3 step
upper snow slope on Clinker
upper snow slope on Clinker
We scrambled up sharp jumbled rock on Clinker and reached an upper snow slope below the summit ridge. For some reason, the mosquitoes here were horrendous. We followed the ridge to the summit but didn't stay long. We took in some more cloudy summit views and then descended to the lake and back to the car. The Black Tusk didn't emerge from the upper cloud bank even once during the day.
Clinker summit with Price behind
Clinker summit with Price behind
glissading
glissading
better lighting
1 label
better lighting
whoa blue
whoa blue
Brunswick Mountain - June 26 Brunswick is the high-point of the ridge which features the Howe Sound Crest Trail and is also a P4k. The standard route climbs 5500 feet in 3.8 miles. I squeezed my car into the last of 6 spots available to “visitors” while the rest of the spaces reserved for residents were empty. Signs threatened to ticket and tow any offenders.
Brunswick from the notch
Brunswick from the notch
We were in the trees for most of the hike, but the last 500 vertical feet were pretty spectacular. After a few short scramble steps we came to a notch in the ridge and turned right (south).
Garibaldi
Garibaldi
first narrow section
first narrow section
knife-edge ahead
knife-edge ahead
We followed the ridge over several false summits with increasing exposure. Then we came to a knife-edge section which was really exciting. I just about crawled across and then I turned around to watch Heather. Of course she took a flying leap. eek.gif
knife-edge
knife-edge
lookout remains
lookout remains
summit
summit
We passed the remains of what looks like a lookout footing and then we were on the summit. The day had become blazing hot. I sat down and Heather built a shade structure around me, which was very nice. We could see Garibaldi and Sky Pilot to the north as well as Harvey, The Lions, and Baker to the south. There were also some neat lakes down below. The town of Lions Bay was a long way down!
lakes below
lakes below
sun shelter
sun shelter
The Lions
The Lions
Back at the knife-edge I found and easier bypass along the south side. The rest of the hike was uneventful except for small battles with persistent horse flies.
Golden Ears - June 27 Time for a BC classic. Golden Ears is surprisingly popular despite it's challenging nature. Another 5500 gain day awaited us along with 16 miles. Most hikers will opt for the 2 or 3 day option. We followed a fairly level trail with nice bridges to Alder Flat and then ascended a steep trail which was more like a river bed composed entirely of large loose rocks.
Edge Peak above
Edge Peak above
roots scramble
roots scramble
Edge and Golden Ears
Edge and Golden Ears
Judge Howay
Judge Howay
Howay and Robie Reid
Howay and Robie Reid
Eventually we topped out on Panorama Ridge and we had an imposing view of Golden Ears and nearby Edge Peak. Golden Ears is the high point of Blanshard Mountain, but several other prominent summits comprise the overall massif including Edge, Blanshard Needle, Allouette, and Evans.
ladder
ladder
Pitt Lake
Pitt Lake
"give me your camera"
"give me your camera"
We followed the trail along the ridge with numerous ups and downs and descended a small ladder over a step. Then we came to some sustained class 3 scrambling on nice slabby granite. Far below Pitt Lake was alive with tiny speed boats. We rounded a corner and there was an emergency a-frame shelter. Above that we filtered some water from a melt-creek.
Edge
Edge
Tomyhoi, Shuksan, Baker
Tomyhoi, Shuksan, Baker
Blanshard Needle
Blanshard Needle
We continued to ascend granite slabs and the summit still appeared far away above us. There were cairns and flagging tape marking several route variations through the slabs. Old route descriptions describe crossing a permanent snowfield below the northeast face but it has receded to near nothing.
"give me your camera again"
"give me your camera again"
jumping
jumping
still jumping
still jumping
We came to the east ridge and followed a boot path through crumholtz and momentarily got off-route on some class 3+. There were several more short scramble sections before we reached the top. Heather was so stoked to get this peak which is visible from Bellingham, she was jumping up and down and I took several photos of her while laughing.
west ear
west ear
Robie Reid
Robie Reid
Judge Howay
Judge Howay
To the northeast Robie Reid and Judge Howay looked particularly impressive. I hope to climb those peaks someday. To the south Baker, Shuksan, and Tomyhoi are clearly visible and Blanshard Needle looks like a very tough climb. An orange butterfly landed on Heather's finger and stayed there for several minutes, presumably for salt. We were tempted to try the lower west ear, but from what we could see it appeared technical and we didn't have a rope along.
butterfly
butterfly
On the way down we decided to drop off the east ridge a little sooner and descend the slabs below the snowfield remnant. We came to a large tarn where the tranquility of the environs had us linger. Below that we descended more slabby ramps past small waterfalls. I was reluctant to leave this upper portion of the mountain. Very few of the mountains in Washington that I have seen personally can compete in terms of scenery and route enjoy-ability.
tranquility tarn
tranquility tarn
waterfalls
waterfalls
This trip to Coastal Range has cemented my suspicion that there is a hell of a lot of good hiking just 3 hours drive north of the Seattle area. When looking for new peaks, why should I spend 5 hours driving to the east side of the Cascades to scale choss piles in the smoke, if there are super high quality hikes just north of the border?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anish

Anish
PostMon Jun 29, 2015 3:20 pm 
What a great trip! Looking forward to many more climbs with you! wub.gif

"Our way is not soft grass. It's a mountain path with lots of rocks. But it goes upwards, forward, toward the sun." -Ruth Westheimer
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jun 29, 2015 6:19 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
When looking for new peaks, why should I spend 5 hours driving to the east side of the Cascades to scale choss piles in the smoke, if there are super high quality hikes just north of the border?
Very true. Thanks for sharing what looked to be a great experience.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jun 29, 2015 6:42 pm 
Looks like a super fun trip! up.gif

call-151

call-151
PostMon Jun 29, 2015 7:39 pm 
Quality trip report from my stomping grounds! up.gif