Forum Index > Gear Talk > crampon improvised anti-snowball plates?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 am 
Has anyone tried wrapping crampon surfaces with electrical tape? Somebody mentioned improvising plates with plastic milk cartons. What about spraying with silicone, or using silicone grease? How long might that last? I have those light aluminum (Salewa) jobs, nice, but they do snowball badly.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 01, 2015 5:41 pm 
For DIY anti-icing plates I've had the best luck with HDPE sheet purchased from Tap Plastics. I've seen people spray silicone, Pam and WD-40, all of which seems not work after a few minutes.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jul 01, 2015 9:26 pm 
This is very similar to what I made for mine. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 8:59 am 
Before they were commonly available on crampons we made some using pieces cut from those cheap thin plastic cutting boards, the type you can roll up. We poked a few holes in them and used wire to hold them on. I think I found those cutting boards at the dollar store. They can also be fashioned into nifty mountain bike mud flap/fenders.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 9:46 am 
RumiDude wrote:
This is very similar to what I made for mine.
HDPE
Schenk wrote:
those cheap thin plastic cutting boards, the type you can roll up
thicker HDPE
BigSteve wrote:
HDPE sheet purchased from Tap Plastics
even thicker HDPE It's unanimous

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:34 am 
We use to cut ours from empty Prestone antifreeze containers - very tough stuff.

The only easy day was yesterday...
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:38 am 
graywolf wrote:
empty Prestone antifreeze containers
HDPE I see a trend here

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:46 am 
BigSteve wrote:
graywolf wrote:
empty Prestone antifreeze containers
HDPE I see a trend here
BigSteve -- have you considered UHMW?

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 12:07 pm 
Rumi's helpful link suggests duck tape, shiny side down. Has anyone tried this? I was thinking wrapping electrical tape might work. Thank you.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 02, 2015 2:46 pm 
Well, let's break the HDPE streak then. The best I ever made were from UHMWPE and stainless wire...but try to find that material in a thin and inexpensive sheet; it is not easy. Electricians tape wears through quickly, especially on hard and icy snow/ice or dirt and rock patches you must cross. That, and the adhesive fails relatively quickly. Same with duct tape but it does last a bit longer if it is high quality duct tape. Another problem with using tape is the eventual buildup of crappy, dirt polluted, adhesive after you replace the tape a few times.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jul 03, 2015 10:50 am 
Cut up red 5 gallon bucket with tin snips, drilled holes, used 9 wire to secure on old SMC crampons. Never tried them out, more of a D.I.Y. project while sticken with cabin fever..... I'd imagine they'd only partially work and maybe not at all.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSun Jul 05, 2015 7:46 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Well, let's break the HDPE streak then. The best I ever made were from UHMWPE and stainless wire...but try to find that material in a thin and inexpensive sheet; it is not easy.
Why I use Jugs. They are free. If one wants thicker, use 5 gallon paint buckets or tree containers. Milk cartons are WAY too thin. Will work for approx 1 day to a week before needing to be replaced. Heat gun, fold over/around, make sure to leave the bend thick, and then rivet the two together. Rivets with very BIG washers/heads so they do not rip out. I personally use Grommets from Seattle Fabric. Lasts months of continuous use on ice and snow. Not quite as good as perfect form fitted silicone rubber, but close enough. The "real" anti ball plates bust as well. It is not like they are permanent. Wire and thin UDDPE is NOT a good option. The wires rip out of the small holes fairly quickly. I suppose if one used a LOT of wires... TAPE works for maybe an hour or so if you are lucky. So, if you are gunning for doing the tooth in the winter and really wanted an anti ball plate, sure go ahead. Just remember when it is buns shivering cold out, the tape WILL NOT STICK for the reapplication in the field. If you are going the tape route, use the Gorilla tape. It has a thicker backing and the tape keeps adhesion at colder temperatures than the standard "DUCK" tape you get cheaply. In this case, you really get what you pay for.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 06, 2015 9:21 am 
spamfoote wrote:
Heat gun, fold over/around, make sure to leave the bend thick, and then rivet the two together. Rivets with very BIG washers/heads so they do not rip out. I personally use Grommets from Seattle Fabric.
Those sound nice. The heat forming is a great idea!

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostMon Jul 06, 2015 12:17 pm 
Schenk wrote:
spamfoote wrote:
Heat gun, fold over/around, make sure to leave the bend thick, and then rivet the two together. Rivets with very BIG washers/heads so they do not rip out. I personally use Grommets from Seattle Fabric.
Those sound nice. The heat forming is a great idea!
Just make sure to not thin out the bend when doing so. I did that on my first pair and they only lasted about 3 weeks of continuous use. IE 1 out of 4 failed. Second pair went with a thicker HDPE and carefully bent them. I also rounded the edges of my crampons. 2nd pair has lasted me a very long time. How long? Not sure. Many months of walking on snow/ice. It is also possible to do the sheet of HDPE under the foot, a spacer and then a sheet of HDPE to catch the bottom edge. Rivet the three together. They will make an "H". The pair I did this with I did not like how my boot felt on the crampon. Probably would have been ok if I had modified it, but when riveted together, once made, it is near impossible to unmake them.