Forum Index > Trip Reports > There which can not be named.... 6/9/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostSat Jun 27, 2015 7:35 pm 
Hokay so it's a little after the fact... After several "attempts" and a couple of years, I finally made it this far. Weather was sunny and clear. Not too hot. Got to the trailhead a little late, but my goal was really only to see the "rock" so any further would be a gift. The trailhead was deserted save for one truck. Quite the contrast to two days before when I had to get creative with parking. BTW- two days before I turned around mid hike as I thought I heard 4 legged citizens in the gulch. Anyhoo- After making it into the gulch this time I did happen upon a den... Continuing onward and upward I found it quite an enjoyable talus/boulder hop to the top. At last! My goal! I've seen the painted rock! Having this to my self was spooky yet satisfying. Since I was well early of my turnaround time I pushed on further. A wonderful stroll in the sky and after a few moments, the twinkling tarns greeted :-) After a nice snack, it was time to turn around. It was even fun on the way down. Ah well, soon I'll need to go back and complete the scramble :-)
And...
This might give it away ;-)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSat Jun 27, 2015 9:21 pm 
I went there today as well to meet my friends who were camping there that own the truck. Only difference is I used the other access from the summit. Took about 1.5 hours from the car but about 2.5 coming back because it was so much hotter. The ridge route has some great views but some class 3 moves and a lot of spots with a amount of exposure. Saw about 20 people going to the summit and over 150 on my way down. Definitely like your way better for more solitude.

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostSat Jun 27, 2015 10:56 pm 
I haven't been up there for 2 decades. Thanks for reminding me to get up there again before another 10 years go by.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Jun 27, 2015 11:02 pm 
My big question is... how were the bugs?

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostSun Jun 28, 2015 1:02 am 
When I went I didn't notice bugs. Not saying much since most bugs don't bother me. I was keeping an eye out for wasps the only place I heard bee or wasp activity was in the shrubs by the lake (Pinnacle).

chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostSun Jun 28, 2015 1:05 am 
Later this year I'll have to get to the trailhead earlier so that I can get to those class 3 bits. From some pics posted they look fun.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 28, 2015 3:46 am 
Seems like the bugs, much like our normal rainfall is MIA. I was at Kelcema lake Thursday and I did not see one fish rise in several hours to consume a bug, there were very few bugs if any on the water and none on the shoreline bothering me. Somewhat troubling to say the least.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 28, 2015 5:39 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Seems like the bugs, much like our normal rainfall is MIA. I was at Kelcema lake Thursday and I did not see one fish rise in several hours to consume a bug, there were very few bugs if any on the water and none on the shoreline bothering me. Somewhat troubling to say the least.
There was no shortage of bugs by Deep Lake and Vicente Lake a couple weeks ago. If you really miss them you can go there and let the bloodsuckers have a couple pints of your blood.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 28, 2015 5:40 pm 
Shakawkarl wrote:
I went there today as well to meet my friends who were camping there that own the truck. Only difference is I used the other access from the summit. Took about 1.5 hours from the car but about 2.5 coming back because it was so much hotter. The ridge route has some great views but some class 3 moves and a lot of spots with a amount of exposure. Saw about 20 people going to the summit and over 150 on my way down. Definitely like your way better for more solitude.
I've always done that route, never been up Iodine Gulch. I pretty well avoid Pilchuck during the height of summer. Still plenty of people on shoulder seasons but not quite as bad.

chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostSun Jun 28, 2015 8:56 pm 
I recommend the Iodine Gulch route highly. I do wonder how much longer it will be accessible. The road is pretty bad and not getting any better :-(

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Jul 06, 2015 5:09 pm 
Went up Iodine yesterday- 2nd time for me. I really want to "connect the dots" to Pilchuck sometime. It would be fun to have a car at either TH & do a thru hike. Swam in the largest lake & lolled around for over 2 hours- minimal bugs, nice breeze. Chefofthefuture: I assume you think you heard bears in the gulch? Or are ya joking? huh.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostMon Jul 06, 2015 7:21 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
Went up Iodine yesterday- 2nd time for me. I really want to "connect the dots" to Pilchuck sometime. It would be fun to have a car at either TH & do a thru hike. Swam in the largest lake & lolled around for over 2 hours- minimal bugs, nice breeze. Chefofthefuture: I assume you think you heard bears in the gulch? Or are ya joking? huh.gif
No joke at all. I was just about to break out of the steam bed , into the gulch, when I heard rustling and snapping branches. I called out and got no reply, so I headed back down the stream bed. At the lake I did look back and I did see two hikers, but I couldn't tell if they were coming from the west side of the lake or not. As I said, when I went back a couple of days later, I did happen upon what looked like a den: grasses stuffed in a crack under a boulder....