Forum Index > Gear Talk > Permethrin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 9:00 am 
JP, is that the Flea Control stuff I see on Amazon?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 9:04 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ok thank you. What am I missing? The only link I see is from Mike.
Right, the stuff per mike's link. I ordered the 1 pint bottle.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 9:11 am 
Thank you. Any reason I couldnt just add this to my Exo insect clothing? Steve, how completely do you soak the clothes? Ive never done this.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 am 
Yeah, I have used my est. 1.6% solution to refresh old Ex Officio and Columbia bug shirts, although now that I know my DIY treatment works as well I won't dish out the $$ for bug shirts next time. I use a 1 qt. pump spray bottle from Home Depot. I get the garments pretty much saturated then hang dry outside for a couple days. Some people soak, drip dry and hang. I always spray outside while wearing gloves and mask. Also, to prolong the effective life, I wash in cold water on mild cycle with very little or no detergent and then hang dry.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 12:50 pm 
I have found permethrin to be very effective for the last three years I have used it, can’t recall a single bite. Unlike Big Steve (I agree with how he uses it for himself) I prefer to use Sawyer’ lower dose and treat for each trip. I have met with Sawyer’s rep Amy several times and there is a great video online with Sawyer on how to apply their product. That being said unless the product is factory applied or a higher concentration of permethrin of 0.5% sold at REI I don’t see anything close to 6 washings of effectiveness and see a drop off after one washing using 0.5% otherwise one treatment has been successful for multiday trips.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 2:29 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I always spray outside while wearing gloves and mask.
I read the wikipedia article, and they say it's not toxic to mammals. Are you doing this because it's unpleasant, or will it make you sick? I'm wondering if I can just spray down wind, or if I need to pick up gloves and a mask.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 2:58 pm 
It's been awhile since I did the research, but I recall that permethrin is nasty when in solution, but not a significant hazard to humans after it has dried on the clothing. EPA, Sawyer and AFAIK everybody else recommends mask and gloves when spraying permethrin in liquid solution.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 3:01 pm 
Well, better safe than sorry. I'll pick up a painter's mask and some gloves, probably wear swimming goggles too. Hopefully I'll be thanking you soon for being such an advocate of the stuff. I wouldn't have heard of it otherwise.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 3:18 pm 
Yeah, pay attention to the wind when you're spraying... I also isolate my treated gear while sleeping- meaning the treated clothes don't go in my pillow bag with the rest of the available fluffy stuff. Treated clothes get sealed in a plastic bag and spend the night down by my feet. Reminder: Permethrin is deadly to cats and fish. I'd be curious to learn the exact details regarding toxicity, like: Is the catz gonna die if they sniff the laundry after the first washing? Meanwhile; better safe than sorry. A modicum of paranoia seems like a reasonable approach in dealing with toxic substances...

OwenT

OwenT
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 pm 
I kinda got that it takes a little more than a cat being curious of the laundry to kill it. Apparently if they're exposed to just a little then they'll twitch, roll around, and be hyperactive but I think the intensity increases with exposure, possibly up to the point of death.

JPH

JPH
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 5:54 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I use a 1 qt. pump spray bottle from Home Depot. I get the garments pretty much saturated then hang dry outside for a couple days. Some people soak, drip dry and hang. I always spray outside while wearing gloves and mask.
do you wash the garments after treating and before wearing, or go straight from drying to wearing?

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 6:12 pm 
RE all the comments on wind and masks, that's why I don't spray. I find it much easier to keep the stuff off myself and out of my lungs by soaking/wringing instead of spraying. A good pair of rubber gloves and eye protection. Soak for an hour or two. Wring as dry as possible. Hang to dry. Hike.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 6:13 pm 
JPH wrote:
do you wash the garments after treating and before wearing, or go straight from drying to wearing?
I go straight to wearing. You can rinse or wash once if you want--it helps take the slight smell out that sometimes stays in the clothes from the oily inert ingredients--but it's not necessary.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jul 14, 2015 9:57 pm 
I am having good results with the DIY mix of concentrate with water, not even very exact about the mix, then spray clothing and pack to damp. Repeat after a few washings, or a lot of exposure to sunlight. I read somewhere that it breaks down eventually in sun. Its good to spray your pack to avoid hitchhiking ticks. For exposed skin I use 20% Picaridin. Also the militaries newer preference. Available at REI for much cheaper than Amazon. Any lower concentration is worthless. Nice thing is with my overdose on sun exposure at an early age, I have to keep mostly covered up anyway. And the little dab of Picaridin I use on exposed areas is really minimal. Washing Permethrin soaked clothes after treatment, before wearing, seems silly, as does soaking them in a bucket of stuff. Spray on the outside of the item until very damp. And wear after airing out for a day or so, but don't hang them in the sun to air them out.

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 15, 2015 8:22 am 
JPH wrote:
The latter. I wash with a wee bit of detergent in cold water a couple times a year, only when the garment gets pretty filthy. I usually skip the wash and just hand rinse after a trip.