Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jul 15, 2015 3:26 pm 
Big Steve, or anyone: I posted this question on another topic too, but does anyone have any data/experience/knowledge as to how durable DIY Permethrin is on 100% synthetic clothing? (nylon and Polyester mainly)

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 15, 2015 4:25 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Big Steve, or anyone: I posted this question on another topic too, but does anyone have any data/experience/knowledge as to how durable DIY Permethrin is on 100% synthetic clothing? (nylon and Polyester mainly)
Not hard data, but I wear 100% synthetic clothes, and a "spray til damp" treatment lasts about a month of once a week hikes, before I start fretting about diminished protection and give it another light going over, just in case, which usually takes it pretty much through most of a bug season. Why not, its so cheap with DIY dilution? I toss my stuff in a normal wash with normal detergent after every hike, so no babying my synthetic outfit. No reason to overthink this thing.

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 7:24 am 
My DIY treatments on nylon (woven) and polyester (knit and woven) garments have been effective for a full mountain season -- April to October -- with a couple light cold water washings and a few more rinses. ETA: +1 to boot's comment about DIY spray being inexpensive, light refresh spray costs a few cents. Sawyer stuff costs could add up pretty quick. ETA2: from Sawyer's website:
Quote:
A single application lasts 6 washings or 42 days of sun exposure.
IME, my DIY treatments last quite a bit longer than that.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 8:50 am 
The reason I asked: The Insect Shield clothing I have seen in the stores is cotton-poly and although it may be out there, I haven't seen any 100% synthetic being done. Cotton absorbs way more water (and I would assume absorb more of the permetherin solution) than nylon, and certainly more than polyester. I have some nylon shirts and pants I use for hiking and fly fishing. I also have some polyester shirts that I put though a lot of abuse. I like to access some tough spots off trail and a couple days in the mountains of thrashing through wet brush (frequently it is too warm for a rain jacket during insect season) with repeated wet-dry cycles seems like it will equal or exceed "6 washings" in that amount of time. Big Steve's experience with his all polyester shirts is promising, but I guess I will just have to give it a go and see how it works.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 9:13 am 
Schenk wrote:
The Insect Shield clothing I have seen in the stores is cotton-poly and although it may be out there, I haven't seen any 100% synthetic
Columbia and Ex Officio make 100% synthetic permethrin-treated bug/sun shirts. Columbia is 100% polyester; Ex Officio is 100% nylon. I have lots of days on each. Great shirts. Note: I was surprised that the Ex Officio was 100% nylon, not poly, so I checked mine and, sure enough, it's nylon -- so I'll revise my prior post. Columbia and Ex Officio also make 100% synthetic pants, but IME they are too fragile for cross-country travel. No biggie if you DIY.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 am 
RailRiders makes treated 100% synthetic clothing that is completely bomb proof for anything you want to throw at it.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Columbia and Ex Officio make 100% synthetic permethrin-treated bug/sun shirts. Columbia is 100% polyester; Ex Officio is 100% nylon. I have lots of days on each. Great shirts.
Good to know, thanks for that info Big Steve. Look out bugs....here I come and you can't bite me!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 10:11 am 
I met JPH last night and bought some of his permethrin concentrate (and enjoyed a great ride across town). Thanks JPH! Looking forward to not getting bit. Even after the stuff is dry, I need to keep it well away from the cats, right?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 10:33 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
RailRiders makes treated 100% synthetic clothing that is completely bomb proof for anything you want to throw at it.
Cool. I didn't know that RR was still around. I had a pair of RR pants 20+ years ago, put lots of days on them in some rugged conditions. Good stuff.

Yeti
Truly Abominable

Yeti
Truly Abominable
PostSat Jul 18, 2015 3:57 pm 
If you are really lazy, and don't want to buy/store chemicals, you can have Insect Shield do it for you for $9.95 per garment (lower pricing dependent upon volume). http://www.insectshield.com/PDF/IS_Your_Own_Clothes_-_US_form_revised_3-23-2015.pdf

Burg

Burg
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 10:55 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I met JPH last night and bought some of his permethrin concentrate (and enjoyed a great ride across town). Thanks JPH! Looking forward to not getting bit. Even after the stuff is dry, I need to keep it well away from the cats, right?
AFAIK from my research, I am pretty sure it is only harmful to cats/kittens when its wet. Once it dries its perfectly fine for felines. YMMV and dont hate me if your cat goes belly up.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 22, 2015 11:12 am 
Just did a retreatment of all our bug garments. I followed texasbb and did a soak in 1% solution, wrung, hung to drip dry over a bucket, poured the excess back into the bottle. Mask and gloves, of course.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 05, 2015 11:55 am 
I applied the Sawyer spray, and some Ben's .5% solution I had too, on a bunch of clothing I used in the Winds and SW Montana recently. I was down there a couple-few days after a rainy period and, although the 'squitos, horse flies, and black flies were prolific, they left me alone. I am so pleased with the performance that I am heading over to the local Farm and Ranch store (North 40). They have 16oz bottles of 13% solution for $8.99 Whoops: I meant 8oz bottles of 13% for $8.99. The 16oz were 19.99 ($2.01 more than 2 x 8oz??)

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Aug 05, 2015 1:10 pm 
This is one of the most truly useful threads on this site. I've long been a fan of Insect Shield clothing, but wasn't aware of all the DIY options. Thanks, everyone.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostWed Aug 05, 2015 1:53 pm 
Here's what I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IMO3I2 32 oz of 36.8% permethrin for $24.95 including shipping. Works well on clothes so far. Works well on yellow jacket nests too - just a few squirts to the small starter nest ends them.