Forum Index > Gear Talk > Insect repellent clothing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 7:38 am 
Cumulative effects. Cumulative effects. Everybody else is doing it? Come on. That's the excuse that mothers answer with the Jumping Off The Cliff reply. No, I don't use bug spray. It has to be really horrible before I do. I hate the stuff. I hate the smell and the feel of it and the wondering about what it does. It doesn't last long, so what is the worth? I either tough it out, or wear long pants and long sleeves plus a bug net hat if things are really bad, like inhaling the buggers, or avoid those places. I actually live where they can be annoying, but there is usually a breeze that keeps them in check. Right now I've got several annoying fly bites on my legs from a trip to Oregon, and staying in a river valley. I'll live. I don't spray my lawn or garden with anything. I don't fertilize my lawn. I figure it grows fast enough and I hate mowing. Why would I spray it with a pesticide? Does anybody actually do that? My cat kills the occasional mole. That's enough lawn care. But go ahead. Eventually we'll hear about it polluting the sound. Paranoid? No, just wondering about Leave No Trace ethics for every day living, and living the talk.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 am 
^ ^ ^ Speculation You did not answer my question: What is your problems with the numerous studies that find permethrin to be safe if used properly? Do you not use shampoo? Laundry detergent? Thousands of gallons per day of shampoo and laundry suds going down the drain poses a far greater threat to the Sound than does the miniscule amount of permethrin that may get there via washing permethrin-treated garments. Do you drive a car? Runoff from spilled oil and gasoline from everyday vehicle use certainly poses a larger threat than permethrin-treated clothing. If permethrin runoff poses a risk -- and I have yet to see evidence that it does -- your concern should be focused on its use for crop spraying, sheep dip, horse wash, pest control, timber treatment and third world malaria prevention, which collectively represents at least a million times (likely some multiple thereof) more volume than the few drops that might get into water supplies from permethrin-treated garments.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 10:59 am 
Yup. I'd be up for a bet that we'll never see the Puget Soundkeepers telling us how they've found permethrin in the sound that can be traced to folks spraying clothing in their back yards. But yeah, there's an Exxon Valdez's worth of oil hitting the sound each year from stuff getting out of cars. Lots of medicines from flushing stuff down the toilet. Micro-beads of plastic from cosmetics in every scoop of Sound water now. Etc. Not that this is an excuse to add one more insult, but it does provide some perspective on a little garment spraying with something that's used on an industrial scale elsewhere.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 11:18 am 
Quote:
"...an Exxon Valdez's worth of..."
don't forget about all the 2-4D and glysophate (and a whole laundry list of other unpronounceable compounds) entering the Sound from all the chemicals people put on their lawns. walk down any "garden chemical" aisle at Home Depot, Lowes, McLendons, Ace, K-Mart, or any other garden supply retailer. you think all that inventory just sits there all year? Steve could be dumping whole bottles of the stuff right down the drain and his impact would be negligible in the big picture.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Jun 20, 2014 12:58 pm 
so is this primarily for tick protection? Skeets are easy enough to keep at bay by covering up with untreated clothing/head nets. Same with flies. Maybe in Alaska where there are more skeeters than oxygen in the air.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 20, 2014 3:56 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
so is this primarily for tick protection?
For all bugs, ticks, mossies, black flies, deer flies, etc.
coldrain108 wrote:
Skeets are easy enough to keep at bay by covering up with untreated clothing/head nets. Same with flies.
You've never been bitten by mossies through clothing? dizzy.gif We went on a hike last year with a bud before he discovered permethrin. Anita and I were in permethrin-treated shirts, pants, sox and cape hats. Anita and I used no DEET and had no bug issues. We looked over at our bud, whose back was covered with mossies biting him through his shirt. The temp was est. 70F but he was forced to put on his shell, figuring that it was better roast than to get eaten alive. But he nonetheless got bitten through his pants and sox despite slathering lots of fabric-destroying DEET on them. The following day he estimated that he got 100 bites. Anita and I got one each, on the back of our hand (which could have been prevented by a couple drops of DEET, but we didn't want to foul the aroma of our meal). Our bud has permethrin-treated clothing now.
coldrain108 wrote:
Maybe in Alaska where there are more skeeters than oxygen in the air.
IME, a subalpine lake after a big mossie hatch or black fly hatch is just as bad as AK.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jun 20, 2014 4:47 pm 
Is it really necessary to do your socks also if you are wearing treated long pants and/or low trail gaiters?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jun 20, 2014 8:09 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Is it really necessary to do your socks also if you are wearing treated long pants and/or low trail gaiters?
Treating the socks is good to do in tick territory.

friluftsliv
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Jun 21, 2014 7:29 pm 
I would think gaitors treated with permethrin - DIY or otherwise - would work well against ticks.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Jul 13, 2015 12:02 pm 
I just ordered probably a lifetime supply (32 ozs at 36.8% permethrin) from Amazon for me and probably everyone I know for a little less than $23. I figure this is enough to make a little over 10 GALLONS of 0.9% solution.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jul 15, 2015 3:20 pm 
Does anyone have insight as to how durable DIY Permethrin is on 100% nylon or 100% polyester garments?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
contour5

contour5
PostWed Jul 15, 2015 6:31 pm 
Quote:
Does anyone have insight as to how durable DIY Permethrin is on 100% nylon or 100% polyester garments?
Sawyer claims 6 weeks, IIRC. My nylon pants and 65/35 poly/cotton shirts seem to remain effective for at least a month. I usually rinse after each trip and launder and retreat after about a month. Sprayed my boots a couple times after a horrifying tick encounter. Supposedly permethrin kills ticks on contact...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 am 
Schenk wrote:
Dunno about nylon cuz I don't treat shells. My DIY treatments on nylon (woven) and polyester (knit and woven) garments have been effective for a full mountain season -- April to October -- with a couple light cold water washings and a few more rinses. ETA: +1 to boot's comment about DIY spray being inexpensive, light refresh spray costs a few cents. Sawyer stuff costs could add up pretty quick. ETA2: from Sawyer's website:
Quote:
A single application lasts 6 washings or 42 days of sun exposure.
IME, my DIY treatments last quite a bit longer than that.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 8:37 am 
Thanks! All I have ever treated myself was cotton-poly shirts and pants. I have some button up nylon shirts for hiking and fly-fishing that i wanted to treat and wondered if it was going to even last a couple days of rough use and scruffing through wet brush.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 am 
interesting thread. let me interject something here: I did the DIY water-repellent thing with a couple items several months ago, and after lengthy conversations with both a pretty knowledgeable employee at REI and a person at "Nikwax" learned something interesting: Your washing machine is leaving a detergent residue on your clothing. The more times it's washed, the more of that stuff builds up. The more stuff builds up, the less absorbent the fibers. The less absorbent the fibers, the less effective a wash-in DIY waterproofing treatment is going to be. I would guess that would also apply to DIY bug repellent treatment. So, what I did first (with both the 20-year-old anorak and 10-year-old parka) was to launder them with about two cups of Trisodium Phosphate (not the fake "TSP substitute" - the real stuff - which can be difficult to find.) Trisodium Phosphate is the only cleaning agent that really rinses clean and doesn't leave behind a residue - the reason pro window washers use it. Ran the stuff through 3 rinse cycles after laundering and then applied the DIY "Nikwax" water repellent treatment in the washing machine. Maybe overkill, but the end results were far better than what I had expected, and much better than what the Nikwax phone rep told me to expect (considering the age of the garments.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."