Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Posting terms
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:43 pm 
UPDATED TERMS (9/3/2020) It is disheartening to see this site transform from what was once a positive, fun, spirit filled community to one more often than not dominated by contentious discussion and negativity. In light of this we are going to implement a stricter posting standard. Call it the family rule. Treat this community as you would your family. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Be constructive if raising a valid criticism. Check your negativity at the door. If you have an issue with something in a trip report send a private message intead of calling someone out publicly. Treat others as you would like to be treated. If you just come here to argue, please don't. The bar on the internet may be low, but it really isn't hard to be nice. If you bring negativity to the forum you will be asked to leave. This site won't be going away any time soon, but we can do better. Thanks to the all who have stuck around through the thick and thin and made this site the valued resource it is today, and for many years to come. I will be adding a pop up prompt such that posting will be restricted until these updated terms are read and agreed to.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:36 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Jul 17, 2015 12:55 am 
I really enjoy this site for the most part, but it is not uncommon for certain posters to derail some of our discussions/threads with endless angry attacks. And honestly, it really impacts the enjoyment of the site (I guess this site is not unlike real life!) Interestly, none of them seem to be contibruting to this particular thread. I would add if one of these posters (trolls too) posts some inflammatory comments the best approach is just not to respond to it, period. If they never get a response from any of us, hopefully they will take their inflammatory posting somewhere else. I guess the problem is there are so many of us and the temptation is so great to respond, that this is just impractical. Perhaps, a comment or post from one of us asking who use the site regularly suggesting that no response is best would be helpful...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Jul 17, 2015 7:29 am 
I've put a few of the pervasively obnoxious on ignore. It cleans up the site quite a bit without very much effort at all.

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostFri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 am 
Got it, Tom. I'll try to keep it in check. up.gif

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am 
thank you, Tom. wink.gif bk

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jul 19, 2015 8:47 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I will refrain from "personal attacks" unless they attack me first, then it's game on. bug.gif
Chief Joseph, there are a lot of ways to think about this. I would be interested to hear others' opinions. As for mine, let's start with Tom's request above: "...before hitting the reply or submit button I would like to ask everyone to think about whether their contribution adds value to this site. Is it positive? Is it helpful? Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community?" I don't see how you defending yourself from someone's self-defeating personal attack against you adds value to the site. It's not positive, it's not helpful. It won't make people want to return to this site and be a part of this community. I suggest trying to apply these criteria to all posts. Thoughts?
After cooling down a bit and careful consideration I have (grudgingly) concluded that you are correct on this matter. Although it seriously goes against my grain to not respond and fight back. But as the old saying goes "It takes two to Tango", and responding to or engaging in conflict with trolls or those who wish to spread strife is in reality giving them what they want. Not engaging or responding takes their power away. So from this day forward, I will fight no more forever. lol.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jul 19, 2015 9:04 pm 
CJ and Bernardo - you guys are very much in the right. The best way to handle things is to not respond but like you, CJ, my first reaction is to always respond. I've always been the kind of person to stand up for myself. the problem as I see it is that, in the past, there have been people who go around making veiled insults and taking things I've written totally out of context or deliberately misinterpreting them then turning them around and using them as a pretext to insult me and no mods did anything about it. I was brought up to handle my own problems and not be the crybaby tattletale unless the problem was just totally out of my hands. If I'm expected to ignore people slandering or insulting me then I'd hope the mods would be a little more on the ball. someone personally attacking other members shouldn't be allowed to just waltz around the site spewing their garbage under the cover of "if you don't like it, put me on ignore."

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jul 19, 2015 10:43 pm 
How about we add that on this forum, silence does not imply consent.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Jul 20, 2015 11:06 am 
Bedivere: I agree with the concept of standing up for yourself but think responses to some of the spray can be more nuanced. I firmly believe there are trolls on this site (and others for that matter) that due to some personality disorder, enjoy enciting anger, frustration and mean responses from us via the internet. If you respond back they only come back with more vitriol and in my opinion don`t deserve a response and if you do respond you will only continue the cycle of abuse. Others on this site like to argue and don`t mind adding a little venom in their comments. My sense is this site gets bogged down in a lot of negativism and endless arguing in no small part from this sort of dialogue. I guess I don`t mind a spicy debate at times, but the level of name calling, bitterness at times of late on NWhikers seems over the top. If I personally am attacked in an angry manner, I try to respond in a reasonable, rational and peaceful tone and hopefully turn what could be a shouting match into a thoughtful discussion. It doesn`t always work and if all I get back is angry shouting, I don`t respond. Such blather is not worth my time.

FUN CH

FUN CH
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 12:24 pm 
''forget about the reasons for treasons we are seeking, forget about notion that our emotions can be kept at bay, forget about being guity we are innocent instead, for soon our lives will all be swept away.'' Dave Matthews

'' what did you dream, it's alright we told we told you what to dream....so welcome to the machine'' David Gilmor (pink floyd)
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 7:37 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
After cooling down a bit and careful consideration I have (grudgingly) concluded that you are correct on this matter.
CJ, you are a positive voice on this site who has demonstrated many times a desire to think through issues in a fair and open minded manner. I find it highly commendable that you have the intellectual integrity to make such a statement. It is extraordinary and it raises you in my esteem. How's that for a sincere non-attack!

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 8:24 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
After cooling down a bit and careful consideration I have (grudgingly) concluded that you are correct on this matter. Although it seriously goes against my grain to not respond and fight back. But as the old saying goes "It takes two to Tango", and responding to or engaging in conflict with trolls or those who wish to spread strife is in reality giving them what they want. Not engaging or responding takes their power away. So from this day forward, I will fight no more forever
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 8:25 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
CJ, you are a positive voice on this site who has demonstrated many times a desire to think through issues in a fair and open minded manner. I find it highly commendable that you have the intellectual integrity to make such a statement. It is extraordinary and it raises you in my esteem.
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Jul 24, 2015 8:25 pm 
Tom wrote:
This site has always been lightly moderated thanks to all of you. We'd really like to keep it that way so before hitting the reply or submit button I would like to ask everyone to think about whether their contribution adds value to this site. Is it positive? Is it helpful? Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community? Nothing wrong with healthy debate but let's keep it civil, refrain from personal attacks, and remember this site is what you choose to make it. Thank you!
up.gif

Jaydee

Jaydee
PostSun Aug 16, 2015 8:09 am 
Thank you! Nice site!

Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 7:31 am 
Count me in up.gif