Forum Index > Gear Talk > thingamagiggy for sending messages
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheGreaterNate

TheGreaterNate
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 9:33 pm 
Apologize for the late response as I just joined. I've used my inReach Explorer on about 3 or 4 trips now and I have to say I love it despite sometimes taking forever to send messages or not being able to send them at all (usually due to being in a canyon or other obstructions including heavy cloud cover). This device and others like it are truly invaluable in the backcountry. The explorer not only allows you to give your loved ones peace of mind via two way messaging but you as well by working as a way to signal and converse with emergency crews, and the gps mapping feature which has become a favorite for me. Once I figure out where I'm going, I look online to find others who have gone the same or similar route and download their GPX files if available. This helps ensure that I don't get lost on new routes and makes it a cinch to find my way back where I may otherwise have to figure it out on my own. I suggest everyone be comfortable with navigation out in the wild but this can definitely be a life saver if all else fails. Happy trails!

One must first experience the dark before he can see the light.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message