Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 am 
Cohokiller wrote:
Why are you singling out the rancher VS the corn or broccoli grower?
Ummm . . . because this is a thread about wolves and their impact on ranching and not a all-encompassing thread about everything in the world ever? Why are you asking nonsensical questions that have nothing to do with the topic at hand?
Cohokiller wrote:
As if you own the land in question
Indeed I do. Obviously you see no problem discussing an article you haven't actually read.
Cohokiller wrote:
it's still puzzling as to why you would wonder why a rancher would be troubled when he finds one his cows all chewed up and dead by a useless creature he can't kill without going broke and facing jail time.
There is literally not one true thing in this entire rambling sentence. Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. I do not wonder why he's troubled: I wonder how the Cattleman's Association has the moral bankruptcy and shamelessness to expect others to pay for his private business's losses. As far as going broke and facing jail time for killing a wolf, please post the evidence that this has ever happened in WA.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 9:48 am 
Ski wrote:
just another attempt to take a shot at someone..... nothing new..... same as always.
That's rich, coming from someone who sends vulgar, threatening pm's to those he disagrees with.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 am 
Cohokiller wrote:
Why the belligerent hostility towards someone who most likely feels actual physical pain and illness when he finds one of his cows chewed up and dead?
There is an adversarial relationship shared by both sides. The sides have their heels dug in. I am like that. However, nobody in eastern Oregon actually wants to see a self employed person (rancher) be overly harmed by the reintroduction of the gray wolf. I know nothing about the Washington state wolf situation.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Cohokiller

Cohokiller
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 11:10 am 
MadCapLaughs wrote:
I wonder how the Cattleman's Association has the moral bankruptcy and shamelessness to expect others to pay for his private business's losses.
He's not allowed to defend against those losses. They are losses incurred due to the fault of others wanting to return the level of fauna to it's pre-European state. Bankers were bailed out, you have no problem making other people pay for your hiking, yet somehow the cattle rancher is evil for expecting the government to insure him against losses they caused.
MadCapLaughs wrote:
Indeed I do. (own the land)
I hadn't realized that this was an issue of ranchers trespassing on your own private land. The solution is simple. Why don't you just put no trespassing signs?

Cohokiller

Cohokiller
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
There is an adversarial relationship shared by both sides. The sides have their heels dug in.
Right, so why in the heck would someone be so nutty as to NOT think a good starting point for reaching middle ground is to have the government pay when one of their wildlife projects goes nutty and starts to damage private assets?

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 am 
Cohokiller wrote:
He's not allowed to defend against those losses.
Are you serious? So you really didn't read the article? Unbelievable.
Cohokiller wrote:
when one of their wildlife projects goes nutty
You really don't let facts influence you at all, do you? How is this a "government wildlife project"? The wolves in WA have migrated back here naturally, on their own. Or do think that mindless anti-government rhetoric will substitute for facts? And why should the taxpayers pay when a private business suffers losses? We already subsidize those who run their cattle on PUBLIC land by charging them less than it actually costs to cover the damage cattle cause. That's not enough?

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 11:34 am 
Cohokiller wrote:
so why in the heck would someone be so nutty as to NOT think a good starting point for reaching middle ground
I don't belong to any group because I can't. Do read this. There are many folks who will lend a hand. http://www.conservationnw.org/what-we-do/wildlife-habitat/gray-wolf/range-riding-in-washington

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Humptulips

Humptulips
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 7:43 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I don't belong to any group because I can't
So not understanding why you can't belong to any group. Are you that much of an outcast?

cefire

cefire
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 10:32 pm 
MadCapLaughs wrote:
Cohokiller wrote:
He's not allowed to defend against those losses.
Are you serious? So you really didn't read the article?
If there is anything we should have all learned by now, it's that Coho ain't read gud

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostFri Jul 31, 2015 11:08 pm 
Quote:
Why not? These cows were grazing on public land. We are already subsidizing this guy's business by letting him use/abuse public land at below cost. And now the CA doesn't want him to lift a finger to protect his own cows. Shameless.
Regarding the wolf issue in the Colville NF, specifically the North fork Chewelah creek/ Calispel Basin which is the exact location of the most recent news event with wolf/cattle conflict. I would say that today with Temps at 100 degrees in Spokane and wildfires ready to explode every where in the region those cows are a bargain to the tax payers in wildfire prevention. Exhibit "A" Calispel Basin
calispel basin 063
calispel basin 063
calispel basin 060
calispel basin 060
calispel basin 058
calispel basin 058
And not just this big meadow but a lot of smaller secret hidden pockets and mini meadows that these cows move around throughout each day mowing down the tall grasses that are ripe for fire.
calispel basin 082
calispel basin 082
calispel basin 079
calispel basin 079
calispel basin 064
calispel basin 064
calispel basin 013
calispel basin 013
calispel basin 007
calispel basin 007
calispel basin 060
calispel basin 060
I have traveled on horseback the unmarked trails in the area and seen the positive effect those very cows have on fire prevention. You can have all the wolves you want but it won't mean crap if the forest burns up. doh.gif harrymalamute international man of mystery offering you that alternative thought for the day. cool.gif malamutes say WOO and cows say MOO, dang now I'm a poet. embarassedlaugh.gif

hikes and climbs with malamute
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Aug 01, 2015 12:57 am 
Humptulips wrote:
So not understanding why you can't belong to any group. Are you that much of an outcast?
In order to belong to the group you have to sign a non disclosure agreement for the area where they do any field work. Defenders of Wildlife and Conservation Northwest. And others. I can't possibly sign it nor abide by it if I'm out in the middle of nowhere where the rock star wolves are and I need to warn some remote ranchers and their kids about a migration in progress and their wimpy border collie dog who is at risk. That was back on either side of Hell's Canyon for a couple of seasons during an important time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OR-7

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Aug 01, 2015 4:44 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
In order to belong to the group you have to sign a non disclosure agreement for the area where they do any field work. Defenders of Wildlife and Conservation Northwest. And others. I can't possibly sign it nor abide by it if I'm out in the middle of nowhere where the rock star wolves are and I need to warn some remote ranchers and their kids about a migration in progress and their wimpy border collie dog who is at risk. That was back on either side of Hell's Canyon for a couple of seasons during an important time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OR-7
So, just out of curiosity, why do they insist on keeping that stuff secret? What are they worried about?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 am 
Probably poachers. The groups do some important field work where a volunteer would be privy to information about the location of gray wolves. Out there there was nobody.

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostSat Aug 01, 2015 10:30 am 
harrymalamute wrote:
You can have all the wolves you want but it won't mean crap if the forest burns up. doh.gif harrymalamute international man of mystery offering you that alternative thought for the day. cool.gif
Interesting perspective. Thanks. I think Jake has brought this aspect up before as well. It certainly emphasizes the complexity of the ecosystem impacts we are discussing here.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Aug 10, 2015 9:02 pm 
California, are you out there? Are you getting that feeling that something is looking at you out in the woods? Yea, I know the feeling well from Idaho and eastern Oregon. Coming right at you High Sierra. Not to worry, this migration should be painless.
siskiyou-gray-wolf-
siskiyou-gray-wolf-
http://www.kcet.org/news/redefine/rewild/mammals/new-wolf-in-california-raises-stakes-for-predator-agency-dispute.html ..