Forum Index > Trail Talk > So what are everyone's plans this weekend?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 10:04 pm 
Tom's right about the bugs . . .
. . . but I made do without the bug hat (that doesn't mean I didn't complain, though). I'd bet money they'll be bad in the Necklace Valley, too. Once I covered myself in Uncle Ben's 100 (95% DEET and 5% "other active ingredients" and realized they weren't biting me I was fine (as long as they stayed out of my nose, mouth, ears, eyes, etc.) I'm hoping to get out this weekend--either the end of the middle fork or the Spade lake area, depending on the e-mail's waiting for me at work. The yard-and-house-work backlog is only growing, though . . .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
E-rock

E-rock
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 8:54 am 
Mike Collins wrote:
Tomorrow I will be climbing Shroud (Point 6243) overlooking Necklace Valley. It is a Homecourt Peak. Fri-Sun I will be climbing several peaks near SR 20; Golden Horn, Tower, and Mt Hardy. The first two are Bulger Peaks and the third comes in at a respectable 8000+ feet.
Mike, Nice choices. I just came through there last weekend. Golden Horn looks good to go, but CAN you summit Tower & Hardy? cool.gif Are you roping up? Are you staying at Snowy Lakes? Take bug precautions if you do. Good luck. That area is now on my "all time favorties" list. I'm jealous, but not really........my blisters need a weekend off. I'm staying in town while EVERYONE else leaves. I'll be back out on the circuit the following weekend. It's a Labor Day tradition. Stay home LD, go big the following weekend. You wouldn't believe how empty things are that following weekend. Weather looks iffy this weekend as well. ~L8R

Vine Maple Victim

Vine Maple Victim
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 6:01 pm 
This weekend?
Missoula, MT here I come! That's my weekend plans...moving in to my dorm.

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 9:09 pm 
Foss Lakes. With another BPing family with kids. You haven't seen a party until you've seen alpine-happy, same-age kids hiking and camping together. Do they have a good time? High energy synnnnnerrrggggy!!!!

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 9:23 pm 
Looking at Snow, Gem, Upper and Lower Wildcat Lakes. But could be opting for Peek-A-Boo or Mallardy Ridge. Rumor has it that snow is still at Mallardy. Anyone heard anything? Bw biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 9:32 pm 
Only debris from one skookum avalanche. No big deal and no ice axe needed. Just traverse it and you'll pick up the trail again.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 9:36 pm 
Sounds real good......thanks smile.gif Have a great time at Foss! BW cool.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Sep 02, 2002 2:41 am 
Ah hah! So that's where you and Marmot have dissapeared to! The mosquitoes aren't nearly as bad as the black flies are.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 02, 2002 8:08 am 
Dante and I did the loop that included Peggys pond, circle lake, venus lake, and Spade lake. We then dropped down into waptus, hiked past Waptus, waded the outlet and took Trail Creek back to the Squaw lake trail and returned to the Hyas lake parking lot. The weather was fantastic. The views from Circle and Venus were fantastic. We saw a few people, though not many. Fine trip. TB up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Otter

Otter
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 10:03 am 
sounds like everyone had some great plans! H.B., ya found me! LoL! We thought of you often ... how was LAke Ann? We ended up going to the North Cascades for a first time looksie..and oh my we are itching to get back! It was so darn beautiful. And we didn't even get a chance to hike the high country all that much. We also hit the rock over at Mazama and that proved to be a great day of climbing...once again climbers proved t o be one of the friendliest bunch out there! Met a lot of really nice folks. I am forseeing many a hike in the N. Cascades in the future! I really would love to do the pct from Rainy pass to Harts Pass...but don't know if it could be done still this year without ending up in the snow...the weather was really changing up there allready. But looks doable three days aprox 10 mile days.. mainly ridge walking. Any one ever done this hike?

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 11:50 am 
The PCT from Rainy to Harts is great stuff. It should be just fine for the next month, barring some strange snow dump. Any snow falling this week will melt very fast. The thruhikers are going through now, and make for interesting conversations (short, they are often in a hurry by the end).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 4:17 pm 
Otter, I want to do that route too and perhaps all the way north to Manning.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Otter

Otter
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 5:09 pm 
HB- It's funny you mention that...marmot and I were going over the possibility of doing that rout for the trip later this september.. but it might be tight with only three days. Marmot might be able to get off for part of the day the friday before but to make it work we would all be bushed shuttling cars and so on in a rush Friday night. We did think about it though. One that is a little shorter is the rout from White pass to Chinook pass that is also suposed to be quite lovely..and a little lower elevation and much easier to shuttle cars. What ya think?

strider

strider
PostThu Sep 19, 2002 6:25 pm 
Goona take a stroll up the West fork of the Foss Saturday morning, and wander around up there until Tuesday or so. If ya see a geezer with an umbrella, say Hi. Say Hi even if you don't see an umbrella (grin). Weather's supposed to be great, probably won't need it....

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Sep 19, 2002 6:52 pm 
I'll be there!

Honey Badger Don't Care!