Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 1945 Mountaineers humor
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Aug 21, 2015 12:42 pm 
I ran across this drawing by Florence Sarah Winship in the 1945 Mountaineers annual with a lighter take on the summer outing. Do you think she thought there was too much food?
by Florence Sarah Winship
by Florence Sarah Winship

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostFri Aug 21, 2015 1:27 pm 
I can only imagine the reaction from any of the Parks if the Mountaineers attempted one of their big trips now. Horses,, cookstoves, wood cutting, mounds of food and belongings. Up to 200 people on an outing. Park managers would have a collective heart attack.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Aug 21, 2015 8:05 pm 
There used to be an annual climb of Mt. Adams that saw close to a thousand summit in a day.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 21, 2015 10:08 pm 
Note the knapsack cartoon. When I was growing up we always called them that - as opposed to backpacks. A knapsack was a day pack. Heck, i'm only 62 and don't look or feel it. And after these years I still don't see why they call book bags a backpack. I used to take a knapsack (book bag) to school when no one else did. I owned an old army one that I still have. My backpack was for backpacking and it was at home and not at school. Today one name fits all. Backpack.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 21, 2015 10:43 pm 
I recall reading an account from an outing to Mt Olympus, one of the ways they packed enough food was to have some cattle walk in to camp and slaughtered at the camp. I suppose its stuff like that that lead to the development on the LNT ethic.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 21, 2015 10:54 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I recall reading an account from an outing to Mt Olympus, one of the ways they packed enough food was to have some cattle walk in to camp and slaughtered at the camp.
They also shot at any wolf that came around. The Mountaineers Club?
Sub-species Mexican Wolf in Arizona.
Sub-species Mexican Wolf in Arizona.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 12:06 pm 
Ski wrote:
Snowbrushy wrote:
They also shot at any wolf that came around. Mountaineers Club?
kindly provide citation for above statement.
I'm still looking. It is wrong of me on a history subject to assume that something happened if I can't prove it. Forget about the wolf bounty and the cattle and dog thing, and the hiker culture of those times. I'll find the evidence in Mountaineer history, not that it matters anymore.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 1:43 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
They also shot at any wolf that came around. The Mountaineers Club?
i just want to be perfectly clear about this subject. I mention the Mountaineers Club with a question mark. ?? There were hunters in the Olympic mountains from the old settler times. Those settler/hunter types were responsible for a lot of grief in many of our (now) parks and wilderness areas. In fact, the slaughter of the wildlife is what caused the creation of many of our parks and remaining wilderness. I'm not sure if any Mountaineer Club group shot at any wildlife and that is what the question mark is about.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 6:24 pm 
Ski wrote:
first of all, I'm at a loss to understand why you feel compelled to inject your "wolf" agenda into a thread the subject of which is a 1945
Let there be no doubt that I advocate for, and I will miss no chance to remind folks about the original home in the Olympic mountains of the grey wolf. We're going back home! I'll answer your other stuff later.