Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cady Ridge/Dispan Gap/Meander Meadow
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
feldychi

feldychi
PostMon Aug 17, 2015 10:20 pm 
Hello, Considering a 4-day backpack on the Cady Ridge/Dishpan Gap/Meander Meadow Loop. with a trip to Blue Lake and maybe a day hike along the PCT towards Red or White Pass. Anyone been up there very recently that can tell me how the water possibilities are? Thinking of Day one to Lk Sally Ann, Day two to Meander Meadow with a pack drop dayhike to Blue Lake, Day Three dayhike along the PCT and Day 4 out. Is there water at Meander Meadow? Other suggestions on how to do it so we can get water? Thanks,, Carrie

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Aug 17, 2015 11:19 pm 
There is certainly water at Lake Sally Ann and at Blue Lake. Meander Meadow will have water, but the meadow is 800 feet downhill from the junction with the PCT. So, if you want to spend a day wandering the PCT, you'd be better off starting from a base at Lake Sally Ann or even going over Blue Mtn to Blue Lake, rather than down in Meander Meadow. As of August 2, there was still a trickle stream flowing across the PCT just north of the junction with the Lake Sally Ann trail, but I couldn't guarantee it will still be flowing now. Here's an August 1 report from the area: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8017705

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
feldychi

feldychi
PostThu Aug 20, 2015 9:00 pm 
Thanks so much for the info. I think we will camp at Sally Ann for two nights with a layover day along the PCT north and then the third night at Dishpan Gap or Blue Lk. Ranger says may still be water at the gap.... looking forward to the trip. Hope the fires begin to subside.....

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Aug 25, 2015 11:32 am 
I've camped at Lake SA but probably won't again. The mice are out of control, running all over my tent at night, probably due to all the thru hikers that don't hang food. Isn't that where someone here reported that mice chewed through his tent? It's a pretty busy place and people will throw down right on the lake shore, which they aren't supposed to do. There are plenty of solitary spots in the area, though of course you'll have to haul water to some of them. Definitely go to White and Red Pass, and up Kodak Peak too if you have time. Those are some of my all time favorite spots.

feldychi

feldychi
PostTue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 am 
Thanks so much for the info....change of plans with the fire/smoke. Looking towards the Goat Rocks now.... Someday will do this trip however!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 25, 2015 4:34 pm 
Not sure Goat Rocks is going to be any better. The Cougar Cr fire at Mt Adams and John Day fires are huge. But you gotta try something, right?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
feldychi

feldychi
PostTue Aug 25, 2015 5:08 pm 
Yep, that's for sure. That is exactly how I feel about it!

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 2:35 pm 
There should be water below Ward's Pass on the E side (go N of Lake Sally Ann on PCT; it climbs into a bowl below the pass; should be a stream). North of Dishpan Gap, look for a couple of big rock horns W of the PCT -- there are social trails and a campsite -- look for a small stream back in there, but it might be dry this year. I'd expect water on the E flank of Kodak in a normal year. It gets dry up there. Maybe this recent wet weather will help.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 6:13 am 
lets see some pics of your trip