Forum Index > Trail Talk > "Art" in the Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 am 
re: Ms. Lane Moore's piece in Cosmopolitan: Count me among the many who "didn't get the joke", if that's what Ms. Moore's piece was supposed to be. I've never heard of her before- I don't read "The Onion" (except for pieces cited here), and I pulled the plug on TV when they went from analog to cable. Guess I'm just one of the many unwashed and unhip. I wonder if she'll be doing a tongue-in-cheek humor piece on school shootings too? > ree: she's 21

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Oct 27, 2014 11:14 am 
Morality is a top-down thing. Monkey see, monkey do. It's obvious to a teacher: kids walk into a classroom, look around, and they do what other kids are doing -- which is what the adults allow, and what the adults do themselves. Once, as I was removing a tag on a structure in my neighborhood, I looked up and realized that I was removing graffiti from... a billboard. When we allow the corporations and ruling class to deface our land on an industrial scale for the purpose of venal brainwashing, and appropriate it for the purpose of private looting, it's unrealistic to expect small minds like these vandals' to behave any better. Nobody can grow up in this country and get the message that we care about our land and our future. Yes, I feel nearly homicidal anger at this child's actions, but as I drive to Canyonlands, I have to drive through the astonishingly ugly billboard desert at Salt Lake City, and the depression and despair I feel there makes me wonder if the trip is worth it. We've sold our soul to the greedheads, so we shouldn't be too surprised by our soulless children.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Oct 27, 2014 12:05 pm 
Elephant Snot (really) A ranger posted on trailmob about a product called Elephant Snot that he used in his graffiti-removal program: "I used to work for NPS and developed a graffiti removal program at my park which trained and utilized volunteers to perform removals. If the surface is simply stone, not associated with historic or prehistoric sites/features, there is a great product called "Elephant Snot" (I am not kidding - google it) that works wonders on paint removal and is biodegradable and generally safe to use. I used it on sandstone, concrete, and even on sandston with prehistoric petroglyphs that were tagged with a much nastier enamel spray paint, and it worked wonders." Elephant Snot I'm gonna get some ASAP for my neighborhood. They have several other products.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 27, 2014 12:12 pm 
FTR, I merely pointed out that Ms. Moore's final clause in her final sentence was snark. It is not Onion-worthy snark.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 28, 2014 12:50 am 
BigSteve- re: Lane Moore article: as I already said earlier in this thread, this sort of thing sends me over the edge, so I'll be the first to admit that maybe I've got a propensity for over-reacting to this sort of idiocy, but: perusing through the reader comments below Moore's article, it's evident I'm not the only one who "didn't get it", if indeed it was an attempt at humor on her part. moreover, I think her comments could easily be construed as a "wink and a nod" to some who might take them as a go-ahead signal.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
EnoughAlready

EnoughAlready
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 3:25 pm 
I wonder if those who are offended by this graffiti consider the encroachment of giant WIND TURBINES on natural vistas to be a far worse eyesore? I sure do. A major tragedy is being inflicted on our shrinking landscapes. I'm very disappointed by the number of people who claim they're "beautiful," as if what existed before was dull to look at. A number of Germans saw it coming back in the late 90s, and that smallish country is now infested with about 20,000 of them. See the Darmstadt Manifesto (1998). America needs to stop these landscape-disfiguring skyscrapers before they get out of hand. You'd be able to see them from almost every prominence at some point. The Steens Mountain Oregon project is still being considered, for example. Just one of many.

EnoughAlready

EnoughAlready
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 3:26 pm 
She's a looker and I'm sure some guy will want to rehabilitate her in a nearby resort.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Dec 05, 2014 4:34 pm 
So......... What happened to her?

Chico

Chico
PostFri Dec 05, 2014 6:26 pm 
Brucester wrote:
So......... What happened to her?
As of October 31st no charges have been filed but she was identified as the main suspect. The NPS could be working on building a case, or they might feel the public shaming was enough.

Chico

Chico
PostFri Dec 05, 2014 6:27 pm 
EnoughAlready wrote:
She's a looker and I'm sure some guy will want to rehabilitate her in a nearby resort.
Perhaps that is what she wanted.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jan 26, 2015 12:05 pm 
She's baaaaa-ack. Changed her name to Nick Varga: graffiti vandalism Mt. Pilchuck summit

Badger

Badger
PostThu Aug 27, 2015 11:15 am 
Whatever happened to Casey Nocket?

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Aug 27, 2015 1:51 pm 
I can't find anything new online about her. Probably another case of our fine system that seems to neglect cases where large amounts of money, or publicity, are not to be gained. I am not the judge and jury but it sounded like a slam-dunk. Too bad she got away with it...apparently. It seems like some folks think that because of their status, looks, or abilities, that rules and laws do not apply to them.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 27, 2015 1:58 pm 
Badger: good question. several months ago I sent an inquiry via email to the law enforcement staff person in charge of the investigation, but he was not willing to make any comment or provide any information because it was an "ongoing investigation". it may be that an FOIA request might be required to get the details on this one. Casey Schreiner, of Modern Hiker posted an update several months back but has no new information. I did find this comment submitted by Modern Hiker member "TS" to be interesting: • TS says: July 1, 2015 at 11:07 am Rec’d reply from NPS… This vandalism case is still open. Charges are expected. — Jeffrey G. Olson Chief, Office of Education and Outreach (Acting) Natural Resource Stewardship and Science Directorate National Park Service 1201 I Street NW Washington, DC 20005 Office direct: 202-513-7181 Mobile: 202-230-2088 http://www.nps.gov --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- the original story broke on Modern Hiker October 21, 2014

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 08, 2015 2:56 pm 
On Sep 6, 2015, at 9:18 PM, Ski wrote: Casey Schreiner Modern Hiker Casey - you and I did a few back-and-forth emails about this right after you first broke the story. we had quite a discussion about it (and other similar events) on nwhikers.net (thread title ‘Art in the Parks’) couple weeks ago somebody on nwhikers.net asked about it. the email below from Christopher Smith, NPS, is the last word I got – nada. you know anything new? response received today: 09/08/15 10:56 AM PDT Yup - I’m getting the stonewall, too. After we wrap our crowdfunding campaign I’ll be able to dive into this a little more. Casey L. Schreiner, Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Modern Hiker