Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > hardest dog climb
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Aug 26, 2015 7:00 am 
I was wondering: what is the most difficult ascent a dog has done without someone helping him/her. I often wonder how some dogs managed to get to some summits.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 26, 2015 2:29 pm 
Well, I know a dog and its owner that nearly made it to the saddle between Gooseneck Pinnacle and Gannet Peak in Wyoming, from the Dinwoody Side. Watching the dog hop from talus boulder to talus boulder was impressive. It was quite a display of athleticism! It is not easy terrain for a 4 legger; hands and opposing thumbs are very handy The dog gave up part way up the glacier, past the talus, but I think it was the talus that did the poor guy in. Coming back across the talus we had to coax and carry the poor guy...he was just all petered out and could not make confident leaps from boulder to boulder any longer. The next day, of course, he would leave us in the dust (being all rested up again). Dogs are awesome!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Aug 26, 2015 5:21 pm 
Two of my dogs have made it to the top of the haystack on Mt. Si. One of my current dogs (Jack) made it to the summit of Mt. Fernow though I did have to assist him in one spot where he simply couldn't reach up far enough. He did fine on the way down though. Jack has been up numerous 8K+' peaks though most of those were pretty easy walk-ups (Maude, 7FJ, Fortress, Adams, Ptarmigan, Osceola, Remmel) and a couple lower elevation peaks that were pretty scrambly (all three Mt. Daniel summits plus a couple others I'm forgetting right now).

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Aug 26, 2015 6:36 pm 
It would be hard to top the climbing feats of the late great Biscuit

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Aug 27, 2015 1:54 pm 
We we're surprised to find Timber waiting for us slow humans on top of Del Campo. He looked at us with that "what took you so long" expression. We figured he had given up and was waiting down below for us to get back...wrong.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Aug 27, 2015 5:00 pm 
Wow coldrain, I have not done Delcampo, but I heard it was a pretty 'scrambly' peak.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Aug 28, 2015 1:51 am 
Like many scent hounds, my loyal mutt was a meadow dog. She hated big rocks and steep snow. Had to use raincoat and rig a lap sled for her on early spring Pilchuck descent. No bueno. In parking lot met guy with Jack Russel(like Biscuit). That dog led him up the scramble route. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Aug 28, 2015 8:52 am 
My nephew tried to climb on Jasper's back a couple Christmases ago. That was a difficult climb. clown.gif

Knows literally nothing
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Aug 28, 2015 10:59 am 
Rockfall is perhaps the greatest danger with dogs -- they are stupid about either end of it -- I believe that's why they are no longer allowed on Artist's Point. We could not even have thought about Fortress if anybody else had been on the route that day. Please be hyper-vigilant about this. Al and/or Gwynnie have climbed Daniel, Hinman (summit bivvy), Maude (summit bivvy), Pugh, Buck, Cleator, Fortress, Joker, Three Fools, Iron Cap, Otter Point (bivvy) -- Al made it to 9200' on Glacier Peak and only turned back because there wasn't enough snow, too rocky -- all rather easy ice-ax walkups (and there is this maneuver affectionately known as the "corgi toss") -- but try doing it on 6" legs. There is an advantage to a dog small enough to carry occasionally. Mine stay quite close, seldom leaving the trail and never running off; this is critical. Next to rockfall, I think river crossings on narrow logs are the most dangerous parts -- I have a harness & belay system, but the dog might be safer without it -- once, Al broke his stay and blithely crossed a high scary log whilst my back was turned as I was getting out the belay gear. How to cross a dangerous log is a problem I haven't really solved (suggestions?). Important to make sure the dog is alone on the log, and best walking towards its owner, so there's no confusion or turning around mid-log; I've seen one dog knock another off a log, fortunately in a forgiving place. The worst thing we got into was Chikamin on the north side gully: solo, steep, hard snow, ice ax & crampons & dog belay (hands-free, clipped onto me), the runout got bad, and I retreated too late. Like humans, a dog can climb up more easily than down (esp. on snow), so the descent was tricky: I had to set up directly below him and then pull him downwards to me. He did not like it (me neither). Poor judgement on my part. A pal told about about a fellow who'd leave his dog at the base of sport-climbs. Trouble is, rocks get knocked loose, and they can look a lot like a flying tennis ball. You can see how this could end badly (there was some insinuation that it did). I have a 2nd-hand account of a dog left tied-up at the base of a moderate alpine rock climb. The dog freaked, chewed the leash, and fell to its death. Another tale of a fatal dog fall in the Moab desert canyon country. Esp. if you have a black dog, the Chillybuddy dog-cooling vest actually seems to work. Hot sun with no shade can be trouble. Bouldery terrain is very difficult for a dog. Al got stifled in thick blowdown -- I think he tried to jump a log too high, and slipped back, or got his leg caught in the tangles -- 17-mile evacuation in a sling (see my TR; search "evacuation") -- seemed to heal fairly well without surgery, but it was over a year, and I still feel terrible about it. Be careful.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 28, 2015 11:06 am 
I haven't seen it first hand, but have heard a few accounts of dog vs. mountain goat encounters. The dog will probably lose. Something about getting hooked by the horns and tossed over the closest nearby cliff. Just another thing to think about if you are climbing/scrambling with a pooch in an area known for goat populations. I can't remember the exact grade, but I've heard of dogs climbing low 5th class.

cefire

cefire
PostFri Aug 28, 2015 1:20 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I can't remember the exact grade, but I've heard of dogs climbing low 5th class.
Hmmmm...I'm skeptical about that, where did you hear this?

FJES6
Will Belay for Food

FJES6
Will Belay for Food
PostFri Aug 28, 2015 1:45 pm 
My friends Golden Retriever summited Tomyhoi with us back in 2012.

Sincerely, Franklyn Joseph Esquire Sebille the 6th Http://www.summitpost.org/users/fjes6/68961 Alpinism is the art of suffering-Voytek Kurtyka
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 28, 2015 2:28 pm 
cefire wrote:
Hmmmm...I'm skeptical about that, where did you hear this?
I seem to recall talking to some climbers (maybe at Mt. Erie?) that had a dog with them that claimed it could do some low graded climbs. I've seen all kinds of crazy dog stunts on youtube or facebook climbing trees, ladders, chain link fences. I have no problem believing some dogs can do low 5th class. As a side bar there was a clip circulating a year or two ago of a mama and cub black bear in a remote canyon in Mexico. They scaled up what looked like a moderate class 5 cliff. Their technique looked surprisingly humanoid. Bears are kinda like hugely overgrown dogs, so there's that.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 28, 2015 2:30 pm 
FJES6 wrote:
My friends Golden Retriever summited Tomyhoi with us back in 2012.
Well there you go, Tomyhoi definitely has some 4th class and the line between class 4 and low 5th class is indiscernible.