Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Mosquito Fleet on Puget Sound
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Sep 29, 2015 8:33 am 
For all of you history of Puget Sound buffs, here is a book that might interest you. It's title is "Echoes of Puget Sound" by Torger Birkeland written in 1960. The book deals with the author's career first in the logging camps, then to working on various boats that made up the mosquito fleet. The mosquito fleet were passenger boats that plied the sound prior to the present day ferries. Birkeland ended his career as the skipper of the Evergreen State, the largest double ended ferry of it's time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Sep 29, 2015 10:06 am 
I'd like to read that.
manzanita.
manzanita.
Those old pilings are all that remains of a mosquito fleet dock. To the left of the picture was a small shack called the Provisionary. The foundation is still there. After automobile roads were built to these isolated island and Lake Washington communities the mosquito fleet was no longer needed and ferry boats for cars took over.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 29, 2015 10:45 am 
My grandfather had a blacksmith shop in Port Orchard which was the terminal for one of the last reminents of the mosquito fleet for boats that ran to Bremerton and Retsyl. They had a boom in WWII when there were thousands of workers in the area for PSNS. Last time I checked a boat ran to Bremerton but from a different dock. We had our Senior Cruise on the Virginia V which is still used for tour and has a steam engine.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn