Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Flu Shot season
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 7:07 pm 
I don't get the flu vaccine, due to my mistrust in modern medicine and those who develop the vaccines. If I get sick, I see medicine man and take a few shots of fire water to kill the pain and drive out evil spirits.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 8:41 pm 
cartman wrote:
The only way to become sick from the vaccine made from a killed virus or a live attenuated virus is by an allergic reaction to the adjuvant--the carrier molecule for the immunological component of the vaccine (usually albumin, an egg-based substance).
Cartman- This topic has a tendency to go south, I only request you read my posts with an open mind. I disagree that an egg allergy is the only mechanism for a side effect. For example, the CDC reports the MMR induces a seizure in 1 out of 3000 doses. However does not mention the MMR as having egg protein, only the flu and yellow fever are listed. In my previous post, I wasn't thinking of an illness per say, but more along the lines of a chronic condition, such as an autoimmune disorder. Narcolepsy, which has been implicated with the flu vaccine, has actually been identified as autoimmune disease. I don't think we have enough data to unequivocally state there's no issues with getting the flu shot for 40 consecutive years. My perception is the prior great success of vaccines such as the small pox make questioning any other one off limits.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 8:53 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I'm not reading it that way. It says that CDC uses the R&C deaths in its modeling but I don't see where it says that all R&C deaths are deemed flu-related.
I agree, I misinterpreted that sentence the first time.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
seizure in 1 out of 3000 doses
Febrile seizures - usually harmless seizures that are related to high fevers in young children. Listed as "Moderate" on par with "Temporary pain and stiffness in the joints". These are not epileptic seizures. Vaccines can also help prevent febrile seizures. I wonder how many out of 3000? clown.gif

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 10:03 pm 
Agreed Tom, not trying to imply it's epilepsy. Only demonstrate that it's not induced by an egg allergy. I have run across some opposition to the notion that febrile seziures are harmless. Not saying it's true or anything. Here is a Chinese study I recall in that regard. Another illustration that there's side effects beyond an egg allergy. The Japanese government, which seems generally to be more receptive to their citizens concerns about vaccines, actually discontinued the MMR shot back in 1993 due to side effects. Apparently they developed an "MR" vaccine that proved safer. And give the mumps portion separately.
The Japan Times wrote:
Japan introduced the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine in 1989 but was forced to take it off the shelves four years later after about 2,000 people suffered side effects that included aseptic meningitis.
Vaccination: a choice between two unknowns

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 10:23 pm 
In the rare case (assume 1 in a million for the sake of argument) febrile seizures are harmful that statistic becomes 1 in 3 billion. Not as much shock value as 1 in 3000. Here's the key takeaway from the CDC page you linked to:
Quote:
Severe Problems (Very Rare) Serious allergic reaction (less than 1 out of a million doses) Several other severe problems have been reported after a child gets MMR vaccine, including: Deafness Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness Permanent brain damage These are so rare that it is hard to tell whether they are caused by the vaccine.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostSat Oct 03, 2015 7:35 am 
I don't think I can argue with your above post. I strayed from the flu shot which I probably should not have done. BigSteve makes some good points, and I now agree the initial article was sloppy. But the bottom line for me is this: I'm still not confident in the CDC data, I think they were (maybe still are) misleading. I posted a review of 75 studies that concluded the available evidence is of poor quality and provides no guidance regarding the safety, efficacy or effectiveness of influenza vaccines for people aged 65 years or older. To resolve the uncertainty, an adequately powered publicly-funded randomised, placebo-controlled trial run over several seasons should be undertaken. I posted another review that concluded Studies funded from public sources were significantly less likely to report conclusions favorable to the vaccines. The review showed that reliable evidence on influenza vaccines is thin but there is evidence of widespread manipulation of conclusions and spurious notoriety of the studies. The SA article said “The perception that current vaccines are already highly effective in preventing influenza is a major barrier to pursuing game-changing alternatives.” The concerning thing is nobody seemed to even balk at this. My theory is the majority of Americans believe anything the CDC writes is Gospel, but usually don't have a problem questioning other segments of government. My last thought is if you get a flu shot, make sure they stick you in the right location.