Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 11:54 am 
I wasn't sure where to put this, so here it is in Saloon. If you haven't heard, Lock Miller (Marmot Mountain Works) passed this past week. I met Lock years ago, actually decades ago, when I worked for a competitor of his. He was always interesting to listen to and had some unique insights into the industry. He helped move the outdoor industry forward in the United States. I was sorry to see Marmot Mountain Works close and this is one more step towards the end of that cool 1970s vibe that rang throughout the Mountains back in the days of waffle stompers, long hair, bota bag, and Sierra cups. Rest in Peace Lock

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 12:01 pm 
RIP Lock. I had heard that Lock had no immediately family left when his (adopted) brother died a couple years ago. His family legacy lives on via, among other things, the fine work by the various foundations established by his adopted parents.
Schenk wrote:
He helped move the outdoor industry forward in the United States.
Indeed. He was the original importer of Dynafit bindings into the U.S.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 12:12 pm 
frown.gif RIP Lock. I only knew him a brief time while working for Marmot in '06/'07, but I remember him as a nice guy...with an office that could've used a little sprucing up. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 2:24 pm 
Very sad news. I very much appreciated the slice of community he'd built via his Bellevue store, and it was always fun to watch how some of his extremely loyal staff "managed" him out on the floor (i.e. knew when to get him into the back room). I was always impressed by the dedication he and his team had for matching people with the right gear, including dealing quite generously with after-purchase issues. Too bad he didn't have some more time to see what life is like when not having to keep that store going.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 2:31 pm 
joker wrote:
it was always fun to watch how some of his extremely loyal staff "managed" him out on the floor (i.e. knew when to get him into the back room)
lol.gif So true

gb

gb
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 4:56 pm 
I'm sorry to hear this. I worked with him for years in avalanche courses, etc. I must say I never felt I knew him personally, though - I suspect there weren't a lot of people who did. The service he provided to the outdoor community was a great one and I know that he did this to a great extent out of passion for the industry and service to the community and not purely for profit reasons (especially in the last several years he operated). Marmot is missed and Lock was certainly the lifeblood of Marmot.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 5:11 pm 
I went to Law School with him and was in his study group. The store was a Mecca for backcountry skiing and I got much of my gear there. It is already sorely missed. RIP.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn