Forum Index > Trip Reports > South Ingalls Peak and Fortune Peak - 10.6.2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 pm 
A fun loop trip in the Teanaway Area to celebrate BarbE's birthday... and her completion of the Teanaway Twenty Peaks list. Now she is moving on to work on the Teanaway 54 list. We parked (4240') at the end of the N. Fork Teanaway River Road... followed the Esmeralda Basin Trail for a short distance... then turned onto the Ingalls Way Trail and followed it to Ingalls Pass (~6500')... where we opted to stay on the high trail to hiker's left and started to wrap around Headlight Basin until ~6450 feet... where we left the trail and headed up... skirting a large buttress at 6800 feet... as we continued on an upwardly biased traverse until the north and east summits of Ingalls forced us to take a more direct line up to the col (~7360') between the north and south summits. We crossed over to the west side of the col and gave back 100 feet of elevation on an obvious path that eventually led us back up and over to the South Ingalls summit (7640')... where we found broad views in all directions. There was a couple hundred feet of Class 3 scrambling on the south side of South Ingalls as we worked our way along the ridge over toward Fortune Peak... and the rugged terrain on the ridge did force us to go as low as 7200 feet before we could find a good route up to the Fortune summit (7382'). Needing to beat the 6:00pm rock blasting near Snoqualmie Pass made for a very short visit on the Fortune summit... and necessitated a fairly direct route down to Esmeralda Basin... where we connected with the trail at ~5200 feet and hustled our way back to the car... beating the rock blasting by 30 minutes. Here is a good rock blasting link that can come in very handy now that we are starting to lose daylight hours. A 9 mile loop trip... gaining 3833 feet of elevation. If I did this trip again, I would stay on the trail all the way to Ingalls Lake... then go cross-country up to the col that separates the north and south summits of Ingalls. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track for our trip to South Ingalls Peak and Fortune Peak. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 7:48 pm 
Congrats and happy birthday to BarbE. That is a loop I'd like to do someday. I'm sure your report will come in handy when I do. up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 8:27 pm 
Way to go Barb. I still have a few left on that list. ragman -- That's an interesting Teanaway 54 list and will give me an excuse to keep going back there after finishing the 20. But there are only 51 numbered peaks and 3 half-peaks. What's the criteria for a half-peak? I have a fondness for Fortune Creek pass. While I did some climbs earlier while traveling through the area, it was the first hike my wife and I did after moving to Seattle in 1986. I have no recollection of how I picked it out, but the drive was a lot longer than I expected. It was really beautiful though.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 11:00 am 
puzzlr wrote:
ragman -- That's an interesting Teanaway 54 list and will give me an excuse to keep going back there after finishing the 20. But there are only 51 numbered peaks and 3 half-peaks. What's the criteria for a half-peak?
-------------------------------------------------- Before I answer your question about the "half-peaks" I will give you some background on the list. How does a peak get on my Teanaway Peaks List: 1. The peak has to be on the Wenatchee Mountains Back Court 100 List. Note that currently there are 192 peaks on list. 100 of the peaks are ranked... meaning that they meet the 400 feet of clean prominence rule for the defined boundaries of the Wenatchee Mountains... and the other 92 peaks on the list are unranked... meaning that peakbagger.com considers them worthy to be on the list even though they don't meet the clean prominence criteria to be ranked. 2. The peak has to be defined as being in the Teanaway Area. If you sort the Back Court List by the "Range" column on the list, you can scroll to the bottom of the list and find the 54 peaks that are currently located in the Teanaway Area. Currently there are 28 ranked peaks and 26 unranked peaks on my Teanaway Peaks List... making a current total of 54. -------------------------------------------- One thing I like about the Teanaway Peaks List is that I don't have control over the peaks that get on the list. While the ranked peaks will never change, the hiking community can submit unranked peaks to peakbagger.com to be considered for inclusion on the list. Three unranked peaks (Van Epps Peak, Three Brothers Old Lookout and Peak 5885) were added to the list this year after I had created my original list of 51 peaks... bringing the current total to 54 peaks... and it is these 3 peaks that you referred to as "half-peaks" on my list. To answer your question about the "half-peaks"... I am simply too lazy to renumber the peak list every time a new unranked peak is added to the list by peakbagger.com. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
contour5

contour5
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 11:46 am 
Quote:
I am simply too lazy
Huh. That's basically my response to lists as well. But rock on, you crazy climbers! Fine TR as usual...

BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 7:40 pm 
I can't say, I cared much about lists either, but by hanging out long enough with crazy climbers, I was enlightened to what I was missing. wink.gif Having done many of the Teanaway peaks several times, just South Ingalls was left. A worthy peak to finish a list and celebrate a B-day.
Above Headlight Basin
Above Headlight Basin
Larch madness
Larch madness
Checking out someone's climbing rope left behind
Checking out someone's climbing rope left behind
Last of the Teanaway 20 list on my B-day
Last of the Teanaway 20 list on my B-day
Lake Ann
Lake Ann
Leaving Ingalls
Leaving Ingalls