Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Early Winters Campground
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 5:24 pm 
(moderator note: discussion split from another topic by request) The Early Winters campground was a highway construction camp. There are some remains of an old water pump still there.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 7:04 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
The Early Winters campground was a highway construction camp.
Awesome to know! I love the historical tidbits on this site.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
The Early Winters campground was a highway construction camp.
Awesome to know! I love the historical tidbits on this site.
I'll pull up the article I wrote for WTA's magazine, which includes the citations on this information. I got a lot of info on the building of the highway from Jeff Adamson, who we all love, as he is the one who gives us the Highway 20 plowing reports each spring. He sent me some old newspaper & magazine articles.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 8:48 pm 
OK, so I grabbed this link that Mr. Adamson sent me - 1972 collection of articles. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/8D705E08-4DA8-425B-97ED-96ACE4E4B21A/0/WashingtonHwys_Sept1972.pdf and page 8 of WTA's mag here. http://www.wta.org/hiking-info/magazine/archive/washington-trails-sep-oct-2012-tree-free/view

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 9:32 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
OK, so I grabbed this link that Mr. Adamson sent me - 1972 collection of articles.
Thank you Kim Brown for that report from 1895 about the state wagon road reconnaissance which followed the "old prospector trail." Apparently the original trail was mostly a backpacker trail with ladders. I can see why some minor would want to ditch (cache) heavy gear along the way to the mines.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 9:36 pm 
There was quite a rout there then before the dams. Bolts were driven into the canyon walls to support planks, kind of like the Camino del Roy in Spain. It must have been very cool. cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 10:19 pm 
Thanks for that link Kim. Great stuff. But who knows what other treasures are buried in the /NR/rdonlyres/ subbasement of the DOT website. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow a directory listing.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 10:34 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
what other treasures are buried in the /NR/rdonlyres/ subbasement of the DOT website.
Here is the public info about a state auto south Cascade pass that was actually given a state route number but never built. This was originally an alternate of the old Oregon wagon road (Oregon Trail.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Route_168

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 12:31 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
The Early Winters campground was a highway construction camp. There are some remains of an old water pump still there.
Early Winters Ski Resort (Defunct) was a prospect taken into account for the decision to build the highway, along with the general economic development of the area - tourism. Gold and silver - the outfitters always follow closely and stick around after the gold rush and provide jobs. But they don't sell bacon. wink.gif https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Route_20

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 5:57 pm 
From the above Wiki article. "History: What is known today as the North Cascades Highway was originally the corridor used by local Native American tribes as a trading route from Washington's Eastern Plateau country to the Pacific Coast for more than 8,000 years." The above statement is debatable. The pass used was Cascade Pass. Many canoe were found at the top of Lake Chelan. The Indians didn't have planks and ladders to make a trail over the Skagit Pass. Cascade Pass was easier and involved water travel which was more agreeable. Furthermore, there wasn't much of a trade between west and east. It was more for social reasons of marriage, etc..

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 8:06 pm 
You're right about the social aspect of the route. I understand from a conversation I had with a Sauk Suiattle tribal member that the ancestral tribes that now comprise the Sauk Suiattle had relatives east of the crest. I would imagine there was some trade; if nothing else, trading gifts annually. I enjoy stories about the origins of our modern roads. THe gent who posted about the hunters camp on an old road above highway 20 posted a fine story indeed. Stuff like that is cool.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 11:43 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
trading gifts
Potlatch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch I personally can't find any history to indicate that the highway 20 route was ever used in it's entirety as a trail or wagon road until the modern period. And that was about access to a "destination ski resort" to compete with resort development at Whistler in BC.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 6:37 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I enjoy stories about the origins of our modern roads.
This road is built on or along the oldest white trail through what used to be wilderness between Dupont, Wa. and the upper Cowlitz River. Between Fort Nisqually and the large Cowlitz Farm, and a water trail to Fort Vancouver, all of which were run by the British Hudsons Bay Company. American settlers would later use the trail and complain to the government about how muddy it could be. http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=955
The Granary in Fort Nisqually.
The Granary in Fort Nisqually.