Forum Index > Photography Talk > DJI Osmo gimbal stabilized camera.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Oct 11, 2015 2:37 pm 
Handheld timelapses/long exposures? smooth, cinematic video? slobber.gif
www.dji.com/product/osmo The biggest caveat I can see is the fact that you have to use a smartphone or a tablet to control it, and I can't help but think I'd feel a little nervous sticking my device in the little holder on the side and then running around with it! Perhaps a workable solution might be to nab an old phone off of Ebay for cheap and use it exclusively with the Osmo.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Oct 11, 2015 6:13 pm 
Actually looks pretty cool...I've spent a lot of time stabilizing video, either by mounts or software or a combination of both. This could do the trick....

I desire medium danger williswall.com
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 12:08 pm 
DJI is doing some pretty cool things. Here's a picture I took from a DJI drone/quadcopter with the DJI camera. It's a 2 second exposure from a hovering drone! The camera doesn't have IS ! The stability is just from the hovering capabilities and the camera/gimbal/mount itself. I was stunned it turned out so well.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 12:40 pm 
That's a nice photo, amazing to think that it was taken with such a long exposure from a drone! I've been interested in buying one of their drones for awhile now, but I can't help but balk at the idea of paying so much for a device that might easily crash and be destroyed. However, every time I see some amazing thing someone has done with them I am driven to wonder if maybe the reward is worth the risk!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 6:51 pm 
Ordered it! It was a wrench to spend so much on a device like this, but I can just see so many different uses for this thing! I'm planning on doing a review of it on my blog, and maybe even a video review on Youtube.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 10:56 pm 
Looks pretty sweet. up.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 7:27 pm 
UPDATE: I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to find a device to use with the Osmo. The holder on the side isn't big enough for an a tablet, and I don't have a smart phone. I had thought I could just buy a cheap old iphone off of Ebay and just use it to run the Osmo, but it turns out that the the app that controls the Osmo won't work on older phones. Also, I found out that all the cheap bargains on Ebay aren't as great as they first appear, most are either Icloud locked (probably stolen) or have shattered screens. I could probably get a functional Iphone 5s (or android equivalent) for about $100. However, I really don't want to shell out that much on top of the steep cost of the device. Another option would be to buy a tripod mount for my tablet and use a double ended 1/4 20 screw to attach it to the Osmo, which would cost about 30$ total but might make the device cumbersome to use. I may end up just cancelling my order if I can't find a feasible/affordable way of solving this problem.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 9:53 pm 
What's the minimum version of android does the Osmo requires ? I bought one of these as a "crappy test device" for android development (Kit Kat)-- just a shade under a Ben Franklin. I haven't put any SIMMs in it yet -- but it sounds like you don't need that. It reboots more frequently than I think it should but it seems to run a fair number of GPS enabled apps. Battery life is OK if you just leave it in your pocket -- but drains more quickly than most other phones I've used when you actively use it. This is a slightly new version (Lollipop) Still a bit under a Ben.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 12:19 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
What's the minimum version of android does the Osmo requires ?
Here's what DJI has to say:
Quote:
The DJI GO app is only compatible with devices running iOS 8.0 or later or Android v4.1.2 or later. The following devices are recommended: iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus Android: Samsung S5, Note 3, Sony Xperia Z3 , Google Nexus 7 II, Google Nexus 9, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini
DJI support hasn't been too helpful when I've asked them about device compatibility. The first guy just gave me that list, and I took that to mean that any device with the latest operating system would work. However, when I wrote back to confirm that, the second guy told me flatly that only the recommended devices would work. That had me more than a little bummed out, but this evening I decided to give it one last try, and in response I got this:
Quote:
DJI GO app supports android v4.1.2 or higher,however,we recommend you using the devices in the list as we have tested them before.
So it looks like if the device is as powerful as one of their recommended devices. It should work, but DJI can't guarantee that it'll work without a hitch. I did some googling, and it sounds like the Iphone 5 is as old as it is possible to go, with older devices (such as the Iphone 4S and original Ipad Mini) completely failing to run it.
RandyHiker wrote:
I bought one of these as a "crappy test device" for android development (Kit Kat)-- just a shade under a Ben Franklin. I haven't put any SIMMs in it yet -- but it sounds like you don't need that. It reboots more frequently than I think it should but it seems to run a fair number of GPS enabled apps. Battery life is OK if you just leave it in your pocket -- but drains more quickly than most other phones I've used when you actively use it. This is a slightly new version (Lollipop) Still a bit under a Ben.
Those might work, they appear to be about on a par with the Iphone 5S hardware wise (though it's hard to tell for sure). I've found a few other promising candidates, and with some patience I think I may still be able to get a device to use with the Osmo for less than $50 on Ebay. If that doesn't work out I can just by This and this from Amazon for less than $15 and mount my tablet to the device. However, I'm a little wary of that option, since the mount doesn't look terribly secure, so I think I'll leave that as my last resort short of cancelling my order. Thankfully the device is still on backorder, and will likely remain that way until sometime next week, so I have plenty of time to figure things out.