Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Larches, what's the big attraction?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 9:10 pm 
Schenk wrote:
CJ..so just what do you enjoy about the mountains? Anything special out there for you? We get it that you don't hold larches in high regard. You seem to agree that Gold is just another rock (despite all of its useful qualities). Is there anything in the mountains or woods that isn't "common" to you?
Yes, Gold is highly over-rated imho, as are all colors, rocks, glaciers, ect. What is really special to me about the mountains are places of solitude, hidden trails to high mountain lakes containing Cutts and 'Bows...sometimes even shared with those few worthy of the knowledge of their existence, as long as they are able to keep a "Seekrit". I have not disdain nor hatred for Larch Lovers or Trails Runners either for that matter, I just can't comprehend their way of thinking or their ways. Some have helped me to understand through their eloquent and knowledgeable postings, others have taken it personally, and chose to 'fight' back. I am interested in all viewpoints and am really not all that judgemental, although it may appear so, sometimes I like to "push people's buttons" in order to see where their passions truly lie.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 1:31 am 
CJ - you are one weird dude, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Not trying to belittle or attack you, just expressing my amazement at how a viewpoint can be so different. To me, the mountains are amazing. The ultimate contrast to the man-made world in which I spend the vast majority of my life. Every day it's waking up in my bed inside my house in an area surrounded by similar houses and paved streets that lead to concrete ribbons that stretch for miles and miles, teeming with other people in their man-made coneyances to take us all to some other place where the hand of man has subjugated nature in the name of civilization and convenience. The mountains provide the ultimate contrast to all this. Craggy peaks, glaciers and snow fields, vast forests, endless views and vistas to row upon row of peaks receding into the haze. Man has never made anything like a mountain or a glacier, he has only destroyed them. How can you not be amazed at glaciers? (It's a rhetorical question, of course.) A literal river of ice, flowing so slowly our meager senses cannot perceive it, yet flowing nevertheless, driven by gravity and the falling of frozen water in the same place over and over again. Glaciers are sooooo f)*)#$)(#*$)#&&@gg cool! Then this ball of rock and water we ride around the sun reaches a point in its orbit where our hemisphere is tilted away from the sun and the plants (and weather) react to the change in daylight hours and the Larches turn golden, and the Maples turn orange and red and yellow-gold as well, and the Aspens too, and the huckleberries turn red and we get this amazing display of color that lasts for only a few short weeks before we're subjected to months of gray and white, followed by green again for months more. Fall is possibly my favorite season, and the mountains contain so much magic and mystery that flies in the face of everything man has manufactured that I can't help but be amazed by it every time I'm out. I guess this is why I carry a ridiculously heavy camera and spend so much time trying to capture what is filling my heart and mind in a meager 2D image. Anyway, Larches are awesome for all the reasons people have already said, and glaciers are awesome, and mountains both rounded and forested and pointy and rocky, snow covered or barren, are awesome, and the creeks and rivers that flow in the valleys below, and all the cool animals that live in these wild places, and the myriad of plants that grow there are all amazing to me. Solitude is nice, and I have been known to venture into the wilderness alone in order to find it, but what keeps me going back to the mountains again and again with my friends (or without), to areas crowded or lonely, is the sheer spectacle of nature and the escape it provides from a manufactured world. We need to go fishing some time. I tend to be a creature of habit and somewhat insulate myself so I'm asking you now - hassle me next summer. I know you know some good lakes, and so do I, so let's put a trip together and catch some fish and we can each enjoy the mountains in the way that seems best to us.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 8:57 am 
joker wrote:
Perhaps I just need to invest more time seeking out the larch at peak color in their most impressive spots. But when the weather is nice, I don't find myself sufficiently motivated to make the longer drive to their territory - there is plenty of nice stuff to see closer-to-home. OTOH, I tended to try to make a visit to NH in early October most years ...
After growing up in New England, and spending plenty of time in New Hampshire as a kid ... I'm surprised anyone would be willing to travel there but not to the North Cascades.

gb

gb
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 9:13 am 
Bedivere wrote:
To me, the mountains are amazing. The ultimate contrast to the man-made world in which I spend the vast majority of my life. Every day it's waking up in my bed inside my house in an area surrounded by similar houses and paved streets that lead to concrete ribbons that stretch for miles and miles, teeming with other people in their man-made coneyances to take us all to some other place where the hand of man has subjugated nature in the name of civilization and convenience. The mountains provide the ultimate contrast to all this. Craggy peaks, glaciers and snow fields, vast forests, endless views and vistas to row upon row of peaks receding into the haze. Man has never made anything like a mountain or a glacier, he has only destroyed them. How can you not be amazed at glaciers? (It's a rhetorical question, of course.) A literal river of ice, flowing so slowly our meager senses cannot perceive it, yet flowing nevertheless, driven by gravity and the falling of frozen water in the same place over and over again. Glaciers are sooooo f)*)#$)(#*$)#&&@gg cool! Then this ball of rock and water we ride around the sun reaches a point in its orbit where our hemisphere is tilted away from the sun and the plants (and weather) react to the change in daylight hours and the Larches turn golden, and the Maples turn orange and red and yellow-gold as well, and the Aspens too, and the huckleberries turn red and we get this amazing display of color that lasts for only a few short weeks before we're subjected to months of gray and white, followed by green again for months more. Fall is possibly my favorite season, and the mountains contain so much magic and mystery that flies in the face of everything man has manufactured that I can't help but be amazed by it every time I'm out. I guess this is why I carry a ridiculously heavy camera and spend so much time trying to capture what is filling my heart and mind in a meager 2D image. Anyway, Larches are awesome for all the reasons people have already said, and glaciers are awesome, and mountains both rounded and forested and pointy and rocky, snow covered or barren, are awesome, and the creeks and rivers that flow in the valleys below, and all the cool animals that live in these wild places, and the myriad of plants that grow there are all amazing to me. Solitude is nice, and I have been known to venture into the wilderness alone in order to find it, but what keeps me going back to the mountains again and again with my friends (or without), to areas crowded or lonely, is the sheer spectacle of nature and the escape it provides from a manufactured world.
Brilliantly written, Will.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 9:45 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
What is really special to me about the mountains are places of solitude, hidden trails to high mountain lakes containing Cutts and 'Bows...sometimes even shared with those few worthy of the knowledge of their existence, as long as they are able to keep a "Seekrit".
Yes, Solitude is a great thing when one can find it. The mountains do offer more opportunity for that. BTW..is it the beauty of the Cutthroat that attracts you to them, or is it because they exist in many places of Solitude and have become a part of that Solitude? For the record, I really get something out of finding unlikely trout in obscure places.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 10:23 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
After growing up in New England, and spending plenty of time in New Hampshire as a kid ... I'm surprised anyone would be willing to travel there but not to the North Cascades.
Oh, I travel to the N. Cascades pretty much every year, sometimes more than once. Just not necessarily to go see some yellow needles. I'm up there more often when I can get skis on snow. The larch are cool w/o any needles on them too! Did you backpack at peak foliage in good color years when you lived back east? I have much stronger memories of that experience than simply seeing the color show going off around home or on "country drives." The show added sufficient drama to the plain-compared-to-the-Cascades mountains to make it well worth at least one trip each fall. Here's a shot from one of my most recent trips up into N. Cascades larch terrain (there are plenty-o-larch in this shot - shortly after taking it we skied through a stand of them):
feb 2015 nw cascades ski trip-13
Was also up in the Teanaway a few times earlier in the summer. Saw some larch on those hikes. I just haven't felt the draw to go seek the yellow show - it's pretty enough, but about as exciting to me as the past-peak NH all-rust leaves. A nice enough change from all-green foliage, but not enough to move me off other options. And in MA, NH is just where you have to go to get ANY sort of decent mountain experience (or the sliver of the Whites that punches into ME; any other options like the ADKs or further north in ME is a much longer drive). From where I live, I can get to great hiking with a third of the driving of either MA->NH or from my current house to WA Pass.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 1:47 am 
joker wrote:
(there are plenty-o-larch in this shot - shortly after taking it we skied through a stand of them):
Another good reason to love Larches - they grow in some of the best ski terrain~! biggrin.gif Which leads to another good reason to go see them in their fall color - you can scout lines more easily...

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 7:44 am 
We haven't had too tough a time finding more great lines than we can ski up thattaway even w/o said scouting wink.gif . But I like your thinking, nonetheless biggrin.gif .

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 12:00 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
CJ - you are one weird dude, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Not trying to belittle or attack you, just expressing my amazement at how a viewpoint can be so different.
Back at you Bro', lol...I am equally amazed how how excited people get over trees turning yellow, but whatever floats your boat.
Bedivere wrote:
We need to go fishing some time. I tend to be a creature of habit and somewhat insulate myself so I'm asking you now - hassle me next summer. I know you know some good lakes, and so do I, so let's put a trip together and catch some fish and we can each enjoy the mountains in the way that seems best to us.
Sure, sounds good!
Schenk wrote:
BTW..is it the beauty of the Cutthroat that attracts you to them, or is it because they exist in many places of Solitude and have become a part of that Solitude? For the record, I really get something out of finding unlikely trout in obscure places.
Because they exist in places of solitude and have become a part of it.. I do greatly admire their beauty as well, and that makes it very difficult for me to kill and eat them. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than finding a nearly unknown lake, in a very remote place that holds fish, that would be my own personal paradise.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 12:22 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than finding a nearly unknown lake, in a very remote place that holds fish, that would be my own personal paradise.
Unless the lake is ringed with larches. clown.gif

Knows literally nothing
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 12:24 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than finding a nearly unknown lake, in a very remote place that holds fish, that would be my own personal paradise.
Lol, well as Treeswarper pointed out, they make great firewood! campfire.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 1:36 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
lol.gif Some of my favorite nearly unknown lakes with fish are ringed with Lyall's Larches

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 2:17 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have spent a good deal of the last 30 years doing just that...seeking trout in obscure places. It is one of my greatest pleasures too. I stopped hunting big trout long ago unless I am stocking up for the smoker. I mostly C&R and get a bigger thrill out of finding any trout in remote or unlikely spots. For me, sniffing out trout where nobody else suspects they exist is indeed a great reward. I have a picture of a brook trout I caught in the middle of a mountain meadow with no apparent stream or pond within hundreds of yards. A stream flowed underground through a talus field that had long since been covered with soil and vegetation and was now a big meadow. As I crossed the meadow I came upon a little hole in the turf/vegetation about 18" in diameter and I heard flowing water in it. I dapped a little #18 tentwing caddis over it and a decent brook trout jumped out of the little opening and grabbed my fly. It was crazy wonderful and I have pictures too! (but I can't post them so PM me with your email if you're curious.) Now get out there and enjoy the larches...er, uh, trout!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
gb

gb
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 10:29 pm 
Alas or is that a lass, the Lyall's larches have just about had it. I would put them at from 70 to 90% gone as far as needles go. Still some smaller trees gold and wind-protected pockets mostly on west through south aspects. Only drudgery from now on....... I did find a 4-1/2' Lyall's today. I've only seen a very few that big. No pictures as it was already bare.

gb

gb
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 3:41 am