Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Have you seen all 6 Star Wars films?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Have you seen all 6 Star Wars films?
I've seen 6/6
70%
 70%  [ 28 ]
I've seen 5/6
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I've seen 4/6
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
I've seen 3/6
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
I've seen 2/6
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I've seen 1/6
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I've seen 0/6
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Star wars? When was this war? Are there any others besides me who survived!?
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 40

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 5:01 pm 
I'm not too sure that the substitution of Disney for Lucas will be an improvement--just my $0.02.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 5:21 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
I'm not too sure that the substitution of Disney for Lucas will be an improvement--just my $0.02.
It can't get worse. Disney has a long history of creative, quality film making. Trailers are sometimes deceptive, but from what I've seen so far this new movie has the "look" of classic Star Wars, something that was entirely missing from the prequel trilogy.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 7:17 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Disney has a long history of creative, quality film making.
Eh? aren't a lot of Disney movies basically remakes of The Hidden Fortress???

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 7:29 pm 
I despise what George Lucas became. He took entertaining movies that had a bit of edge to them when he first made them then neutered them in the false belief that children need to be pandered to and coddled (replacing the cops shotguns in ET with radios was just bizarre) The original Star Wars movies (episodes IV-VI) were great action adventure stories and the first two especially had some fairly gritty moments and somewhat dark themes. By the time Empire Strikes back rolled around it was pretty clear what direction Lucas was heading with his filmmaking (is there anyone else who thought the Ewoks were ludicrous but still liked the movie for what it was?) If it matters, I was 8 years old in '76 when the first movie came out and saw it many, many times over the next year. The prequels were nearly unwatchable dreck. Lousy acting, lousy writing, and boring storylines. That kid that played Anakin in the first movie is one of the most annoying screen presences ever and the idea that he built C3PO was just stupid. Lucas had clearly become far too enamored with special effects and lost any pretense of being able to write a compelling story. Episode III was the best of them, and that aint saying much. I still love me some Star Wars and am eager to see what Disney/JJ Abrams can do with it. Abrams has spent a lot of time on the look and feel of the film (using lots of models/miniatures and set construction as in the original and foregoing CGI where possible) but without a compelling storyline and good actors it will just be another boring special effects fest. That said, I can't imagine how this movie could be any worse than "Episode I" as it has no lousy child actor as the primary character, no CGI racist caricature as a comic (though entirely unfunny) foil and whatever you may think of JJ Abrams movies, he's no George Lucas. Thank God. And yes, a pox on Peter Jackson's house too. The Hobbit movies were awful and as a died-in-the-wool fan of the Hobbit and LOtR books (I used to correspond with my older sister who was also a fan when she lived overseas by writing letters using Dwarvish runes) as well as the LOtR movies I just cannot understand what he was thinking.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 pm 

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 8:39 pm 
I still think this is the best version ever! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 9:25 pm 
Ski wrote:
I still think this is the best version ever! up.gif
That is AWESOME! Dang, people have a lot of free time on their hands.... up.gif up.gif ykm.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 10:02 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
The original Star Wars movies (episodes IV-VI) were great action adventure stories and the first two especially had some fairly gritty moments and somewhat dark themes. <snip> The prequels were nearly unwatchable dreck. <snip> I still love me some Star Wars and am eager to see what Disney/JJ Abrams can do with it.
This pretty much covers it for me, other than to add this:
I thought Return of the Jedi was a bit too much of an ad for the stuffed space creature merchandise, but still enjoyed it. I'll see the new movie, but am hoping to go in with low expectations.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 28, 2015 12:21 am 
Sir Bedivere - that's the third time I've watched it all the way through - looks like they've done at least another episode as well. up.gif (gotta love the scene from Bergman's "Seventh Seal" inserted in there!)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Oct 28, 2015 1:20 am 
Randy: Saw Empire Strikes Back (SW5) at the UA 150 as well. That was such a cool theater....Only got the Cinerama left from those great downtown theaters. Abrams is talented. I thought the first reboot of Star Trek was very well done but the sequel (Wrath of Khan redo) was disappointing. I suspect the talent we have seen in the first one will be on display for the new Star Wars film... The trailer for the new film is dope (my teen age son is quoted there!)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 28, 2015 4:18 am 
The most entertaining (and sadly disturbing) reaction to the trailer for the new film are some people's negative reaction to the black storm trooper. I thought Abrams did a good job on the Trek reboot, including giving Kirk cheesy one-liners and having him bang alien babes. So I'm hopeful that episode 7 will regain some of the fun of episode 4.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Oct 28, 2015 10:19 am 
I don't know how anyone could have avoided seeing any of the Star Wars movies, especially the original trilogy. Now the prequels, those I can certainly see why someone may have skipped some or all. The first prequel movie wasn't too bad, everyone complains about Jar Jar Binks and too much boring galactic politics, but I never did find that these were the worst things about the movie, and I can still enjoy rewatching it. The worst things about it were the horrendous acting by the actors who portrayed Princess Amidala and young Anakin Skywalker. I've heard it said that Lucas's terrible scripts and direction were partly to blame for the poor acting throughout the prequel trilogy, but I also thing the actors themselves should share some of the blame. Episodes II and III were just terrible, their only redeeming qualities being a few isolated action sequences.
RandyHiker wrote:
The most entertaining (and sadly disturbing) reaction to the trailer for the new film are some people's negative reaction to the black storm trooper.
Yeah, but I can kind of see why really serious Star Wars fans might have been upset, because aren't Storm troopers all clones of Jengo Fet (from the second prequel movie), or am I thinking of Clone Troopers? Is there a difference? Anyway, I don't think he's actually a storm trooper at all, and that the scenes in the trailers where he is shown in storm trooper armor are probably from a part in the movie where they infiltrate an imperial ship dressed as storm troopers. See, if storm troopers are the same as clone troopers, then as they showed in episode II they are altered to be loyal to the empire and to have no free will. Therefore, you couldn't have a storm trooper change sides and become one of the good guys. My theory is that they have been intentionally misleading us into believing him to be a storm trooper to stir up discussion and controversy about the character. All publicity is good publicity after all.
RandyHiker wrote:
I thought Abrams did a good job on the Trek reboot, including giving Kirk cheesy one-liners and having him bang alien babes. So I'm hopeful that episode 7 will regain some of the fun of episode 4.
ditto.gif I'm more a treky than a star wars fan, and the Star Trek reboot movies were a better adaptation than I could have hoped for. It must have been one heck of a job to make movies that stared the beloved characters of the original TV show, but played by new actors. However, Abrams may be brilliant, but didn't we think that Lucas was brilliant before he made the Star Wars prequels? Though there are some good signs in the trailers we've seen so far (classic yet spectacular visuals, the return of original series characters), but everyone was just as excited by the trailers for the first prequel, and look how that turned out........ I think I'm much more excited for the "Rogue Squadron" coming next year. Apparently its about the Rebel mission to steal the Death Star schematics. A Star Wars spy movie? Yes please! up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Oct 28, 2015 3:42 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
I was 8 years old in '76 when the first movie came out
The '76 date stuck in my head after I read this, as I was pretty sure I saw this in the summer right after graduating high school in June of '77 (thus a somewhat notable summer for me...). Wondering if my memory was really that off finally got the better of me, so I looked it up on IMDB - indeed it was released in May of '77.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Oct 28, 2015 3:52 pm 
Quote:
I don't know how anyone could have avoided seeing any of the Star Wars movies, especially the original trilogy.
I have managed not to see them. UnAmerican, I know. I'm not much of a movie person, too short of an attention span or something I guess.