Forum Index > Partners > Looking for partner for Mt Adams climb in summer of 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FRED BRANYAN

FRED BRANYAN
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 10:11 am 
Greetings I am a 67 year old retired US Army helicopter pilot. I attempted a climb of Mt Adams in August of this year with a guide which my wife insisted on. In her opinion a fossil should not be on the mountain alone. I had a cheap pair of crampons so I had to abort once we made it to the Lunch Counter. The experience left me convinced I have a good shot of making it to the top by taking off for 24 hours or so of altitude adjustment and R and R at the LC. This would convert into a 3-4 day exercise. I live in PA so hanging out at the LC for about 24-36 hours would probably decrease the potential for altitude issues. Having had this experience I would like to make another attempt next summer. This time with good crampons. Any fellow fossil or younger person with patience for a slow mover willing to go with me would be great. I am pretty crazy but not nuts enough to attempt it solo. If anyone out there is interested, please let me know. In case it does not show up my email is fredb1048@aol.com Thanks and enjoy the Great Pacific NW

FRED BRANYAN
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 11:25 am 
You definitely won't be alone on Mt. Adams during the summer. There's always a crowd. Some of them will be climbing as a day trip. But there will be plenty of other campers at the Lunch Counter. Not sure what type of crampons you had, but I've seem them all on the route. Don't need to spend lots of $$. An ice axe would come in handy, too. When your climb gets closer, post for a partner. Probably will get some responses.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 11:48 am 
My wife did Mt Adams with Team Survivor Northwest four years ago -- they used a four day schedule, breaking up the trek to the LC over two days and spending the night at the LC after summiting. The goal was that everyone be successful -- even those dealing with some physical limitations. The plus side of more relaxed pace is getting to watch sunsets from the LC -- which can be pretty amazing.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 pm 
Fred, are you a skier? LC is a pretty damn cool place to hang for a couple nights in May or June.

FRED BRANYAN

FRED BRANYAN
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 2:26 pm 
Sorry, I have not skied since moving back here in 92. I used to take the family to Snoqualmie when we lived in Redmond. Fred

FRED BRANYAN
FRED BRANYAN

FRED BRANYAN
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 6:28 pm 
Mtn Climber Thanks for the info. I had cheap crampons designed for hiking boots vs mountain boots. Big mistake not to be repeated. I still have the real boots I used to climb Rainier 2X in 74 and 75, hopefully they still fit and I will use them plus rental good crampons for any future attempt. I was on the mountain 8/5-6/15 weekdays and there were a fair amount of climbers. However rather than trying to latch on to folks already with friends or family I would prefer to do this with someone else also OK with a 3-4 day liesure schedule. Fred

FRED BRANYAN
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 11:16 pm 
FRED BRANYAN wrote:
However rather than trying to latch on to folks already with friends or family I would prefer to do this with someone else also OK with a 3-4 day liesure schedule.
Fred, check your PM inbox.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 10, 2015 2:17 pm 
Fred, hope this works out for you. If this happens next May or June, feel free to PM me and maybe I'll rendezvous with your party at camp. (I'll be on skis.)