Forum Index > Trip Reports > WA & OR coast sunsets & whatnot
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 2:19 pm 
Most are familiar with the Long Beach Peninsula including Oysterville, Leadbetter State Park, Cape Disappointment, the Astoria Column, Ft. Steven’s State Park (OR), Beard’s Hollow, the North Jetty, and the Pacific Ocean and sunsets, so I won’t go into detail. JimK, Jonathan and I headed out on Friday for the weekend. We took the fun road through Pe Ell - we wanted to visit Willie Keil's grave. We didn’t stick with Leadbetter State Park for long; the salt marsh was un-get-toable because of the high winter tides, and we opted for more beach instead. No offense against Leadbetter, but we only had 2 days to fit in all the wonders. I finally got to see beyond the vestibule inside of the church at Oysterville. Apparently I’m the only person who reads “This door must be kept closed” signs as This door must be kept closed. The last 2 times I was in Oysterville, I didn’t open the church door beyond the vestibule, because had I opened it, it would not be “kept closed” as per the church’s desire for it to be kept closed. I had also run into this at the UW with a sign that said “This door to remain closed at all times” and was late to the very first class because of it, while others apparently felt either “closed at all times” didn't mean what it said, or that it did not pertain to them, and there they sat, while I was on the outside, looking in. Story of my life; I do the right thing and pfft. I feel I should have gotten bonus points, given this was an English degree program and I honored the sign for what it said. But instead, I missed half the talk about the syllabus. But I digress. So anyway, Jonathan & Jim are of the “kept closed”-doesn’t-mean -“kept closed” camp, and so they made the decision to open the door and voila! The beautiful church and some antique organs inside were there for us to see and enjoy. Seems being a ne’er-do-well has its payoffs. We did all the stuff one does while in Long Beach and restricted the criminal activity to the church in Oysterville. I also have been keeping a running list of those water faucets which “hot” and “cold” are opposite, and found another at the ladies’ restroom at the Hispanic grocery store in South Bend. I would need to use my hands in order to tell the entire story, and may be convinced to do so at the next social. It is varied and interesting. More than one would think. I’m considering doing a combo expose and coffee table book on the subject. Photos:
46 cents
46 cents
A rock and its shadow
A rock and its shadow
Beard's Hollow wave
Beard's Hollow wave
sand pattern
sand pattern
Jim
Jim
Patterns
Patterns
Rock and sand ribs
Rock and sand ribs
Setting sun, sunglint on water, sunglint on sand
Setting sun, sunglint on water, sunglint on sand
Setting sunburst, sun reflection on water, sun reflection on sand, rock and shadows3
Setting sunburst, sun reflection on water, sun reflection on sand, rock and shadows3
Starburst, Beard's Hollow
Starburst, Beard's Hollow
Wild North Jetty
Wild North Jetty

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 7:31 pm 
Quark wrote:
Wild North Jetty
Wild North Jetty
that's a pretty cool pic!

Eric Eames
Damian

Damian
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 8:42 pm 
Sheesh. More time off from Purgatory for JimK & Jonathan.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 10:24 pm 
Damian wrote:
Sheesh. More time off from Purgatory for JimK & Jonathan.
That makes absolutely no sense. I think you just think it sounds cool. And it does.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 10:25 pm 
Hesman wrote:
That is some good lookin' whatnot you got there Quark.
I wasn't going to post a report until I saw your bodacious Pitt Passage sunset photo over in that other thread. As you may recall, I think your pictures are the bees knees.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 11:00 pm 
Nuanced. Very nuanced. Subtle. All sandglints and swashripples, right up til the end, and then Pow! Liquid hellscape!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 11:07 pm 
Catches you off guard.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Dec 01, 2015 12:22 am 
Quote:
Catches you off guard
Like to spun me right out of my chair! Best part is that now I know all about Willie Keil, the pickled pioneer; who led a wagon train on the Oregon Trail while dead.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 am 
The Pickled Pioneer. O I bet he likes that nickname. Surely he's got a good sense of humor, because Jim K and I noticed an interesting thing on the interpretive sign. It's all about punctuation...... I'll get Jim to post that soon.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 02, 2015 11:31 am 
I believe "kept closed at all times" means "when not being used for actual ingress or egress". Otherwise the door is really a wall, and would likely be bolted shut. Beautiful pictures, thanks for posting.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Dec 02, 2015 11:36 am 
So does the ingress or egress have to be "actual?" If I change my mind halfway through, then I have done neither and am party to the commission of a crime. And why isn't "commission" of a crime spelled "c-o-m-m-i-t-t-i-o-n?" hmmm.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 7:03 pm 
II
raising3hikers wrote:
Quark wrote:
Wild North Jetty
Wild North Jetty
that's a pretty cool pic!
I agree, beautiful!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 1:57 pm 
Absolutely stunning, Kim.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 2:12 pm 
Ya dern dudes; this picture was almost a throw-away but I decided I like the exposure as-is. The other photos, however, the ones nobody is swooning over, took a lot of time composing and getting right. Hours. And you like the 2 second throw-away. I think I was even in the process of falling after tripping over a log when I took this. embarassedlaugh.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 2:19 pm 
For the record, I was talking about all the photos, not just the last one. And the one that most stood out to me was probably "Beard's Hollow Wave".