Forum Index > Photography Talk > Online forecasts for possibly vivid sunsets & sunrises
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Dec 02, 2015 9:17 am 
Getting the most vivid sunrise and sunset photos depends a lot on being in the right place at the right time, usually with a band of clear sky on the sunset or sunrise horizon beneath a layer of high clouds. Often these factors come together at the last minute, leaving one to take a sunset photo from a less than ideal location. Some meteorologist photographers have devised a forecast tool based on NAM weather model data to predict sunset and sunrise quality (or lack thereof) around the US. Here's the story. Since the story was published, they've added sunrise quality predictions on their website. I haven't used the maps yet, but it will be interesting to see how their predictions for our area compare to reality. If they end up having some reliability, these predictions, considered in combination with current NWS weather observations, may help justify driving or walking in advance to a spectacular location to take the most advantage of the hoped-for sunset.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Dec 02, 2015 9:48 am 
That would be really cool if it can be counted on to some degree. I saw one of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen a couple months ago while out walking my dogs. Of course all I had with me was my cell phone and the camera sucks so the pictures just didn't do it justice. Multiple cloud layers just above the horizon and it must've been clear further West beyond the horizon as the various layers got lit up in a spectacular and changing fashion after the sun went below the horizon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message