Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spider Meadow
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 11:31 am 
I know that Spider Meadow has been talked about a dozen times this year, but something happened on this trip that has never happened to me in the 26+ years I have been hiking. As my hiking partner and I were climbing up to Larch Knob 2 hunters with big rifles over their shoulders came out of the woods about 50 yards ahead of us. As I wear only earth tone colors as does my partner they did not see us! They then turned and started up ahead of us. We followed behind slowly wondering what to do? I finally cleared my throat and one wheeled around and I waved to show him I wasn't a deer. Lots of fun!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 12:09 pm 
On my way back from Malachite Peak I made sure I started whistling a few songs as I neared the road. If I hear anything on the trail I usually greet the trees with a "hello", particularly in hunting season.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 1:15 pm 
Hunters
After all was said and done I maybe should have not done what I did. But at the time I would rather have them in sight and know where they were than let them go on ahead. Also back in camp they made HUGE fires, and after they left we checked out their camp and they had dragged logs-or is it drugged- out of the woods, and laid them across the fire pit. One more thing. Spider Meadow is a beautiful place, but it sure gets thrashed. There are trails everywhere, and the meadows are trampled. Also I found out that the fine for not having a trail pass is $50.00.I did not know that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster