Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Rack & Road... WTF?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Dec 22, 2015 5:18 pm 
So I need to put my Yakima racks on my "new" beater car. The Qclips for the old car don't fit the new car so I'm looking around trying to find the ones that fit and I want to get them ASAP as I'm heading over the mountains on Thursday evening. Amazon has the front clips for $34 and the rears for $40. Even that seems kind of spendy for two small stamped steel brackets, a couple silicone pads, and the box they come in, but not horrible. No one has them in stock locally except Rack & Road up on Aurora but they don't have any new ones, only used that don't come with any pads, just the clips, and they charge $22 for each clip (not per pair) so it would cost me $88 for used parts and not even getting the pads with them. They said the new ones "list" for $78/pair! Man, how do they stay in business? I can order from Amazon and get the new ones delivered Thursday for an extra $4, which all totaled would still be less than R&R wants for the used ones... My fear is there will be some shipping delay and I wouldn't get them Thursday which would make it impossible to take my skis with me.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Dec 22, 2015 8:38 pm 
They stay in business because of people like you who wait until the last minute and need it right now. Good luck.

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Dec 23, 2015 6:42 am 
Have some ratchet tie downs? lol.gif

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 12:38 pm 
I do think it is reasonable for a consumer to expect to find a roof rack part that they need, unfortunately even the store I work at can’t carry everything. The fact that no local store have the clips in stock, and a lot of places sell them, indicates it is either out of production or of such limited demand that the only remaining inventory is kept at the Yakima warehouse, a big retailer like Amazon, or as you discovered used. I hope your trip worked out OK.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 1:28 pm 
I have Yakima rails but I've yet to get all the clips and pads and whatever's to make the conversion from gutter mount to gutterless. After seeing hitch mount racks, they seem to be the way to go (IMO) for bikes anyway. Skis the roof seems best. I got an estimate a month ago for my car. 700 bucks for Curt class 1 hitch, installation (stated 20-30 min) and Thule hanging type hitch mount rack. Initially I was like eek.gif but if there's drilling or trimming required the job could be a hassle. I don't have a shop so if doing mods is a pain (literally) cold concrete outside.... Electricity, lighting, shelter, hospitable work surface and a place to lay stuff out makes a job much easier. Estimates are rarely accurate. Thule did have a sale going at the time of the estimate but it being before the holiday I held off. DIY= 200 maybe less with a used rack. Despite the hassle I'll be headed this route since I don't rack the bike that often. My old rack ($7.99) at Goodwill, hung on the trunk. Pretty stable although the foam pad rubbed at the paint on the trunk lid. Aren't there generic ski racks made by a Portland Company? I thought I saw bike racks made there. Most who bike also ski.