Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hanford National Park?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 12:53 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Claims that the allies fought back too hard are revisionist nonsense
All of those quotes were in a contemporary context. Not looking back through a glass darkly. What was it said? "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
Oppenheimer said that, he was referring to the Bhagavad Gita , Sanskrit literature and the god/warrior Krishna. Another quote seems relevant here
Golda Meir wrote:
We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children. We will only have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.
Hirohito had the sense to stop the war when he did without greater destruction of his nation and people.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 2:23 pm 
RandyHiker wrote: "The essential flaw in CDDestroyers argument is that the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki killed fewer civilians than the firebombing of Tokyo". ya I saw that sight you got the info from....here is the the best data available;;; On a clear night in March 1945, more than 300 U.S. B-29 bombers launched one of the most devastating air raids in history. By dawn, more than 100,000 people were dead, a million were homeless, and 40 square kilometers of Tokyo were burned to the ground. More people were killed in the Tokyo firebombing of March 9-10 than in the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki five months later. Yet it remains one of the forgotten horrors of the Second World War. Between February 13th and February 14th 1945, between 35,000 and 135,000 people were killed by Allied bombing in Dresden. Historians still argue over the number of deaths. However, there were so many refugees in the city at the time that the real figure will almost certainly never be known. The real mortality of the atomic bombs that were dropped on Japan will never be known. The destruction and overwhelming chaos made orderly counting impossible. It is not unlikely that the estimates of killed and wounded in Hiroshima (150,000) and Nagasaki (75,000) are over conservative. not to mention that many are not counted who died later of radiation sickness......

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 2:35 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
135,000 people were killed by Allied bombing in Dresden.
Did they drop leaflets first before the bombing? I don't believe they did with The Bomb. How about a World Heritage Park, partially owned by Japan like diplomatic grounds. A Peace Park?

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 2:56 pm 
(bad word) what do you people use for logic? are you sitting on it? snowbushy says did they drop leaflets before the bombing of japan...the policy makers (idiots in washington d.c.) were pretty pissed off at the "surprise attack" so why would you alert your most hated enemy that you were gonna wipe them off the planet??? oh by the way "surprise attack" I have some info that will set that matter straight... I am loathe to get into a political argument on this site beyond what I have already done. this is supposed to be a nice outdoor bloggy type forum...I doubt that the info I have will make a difference to most of you any way as most of you never think (THINK) about an article instead you post your reply as fast as your emotional attitude will allow.....

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 2:59 pm 
RandyHiker wrote The essential flaw in CDDestroyers argument.... boy am I ever slow....I have never used that cddestroyer in this forum but only on a vet forum on yuku..so I can only guess that this person is also on that site since that is the only place I ever used that nick.... I had my fill of the idiots on that vet site and never go there anymore...

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 3:06 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I am loathe to get into a political argument on this site
Yes, sometimes even Dark Ages political debate is frowned upon here.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 4:38 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
cdestroyer wrote:
I am loathe to get into a political argument on this site
Yes, sometimes even Dark Ages political debate is frowned upon here.
Full moon saloon is an any topic forum.

gb

gb
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 5:06 pm 
On the subject of Hanford NP the one place at Hanford that I would love to have been able to visit is Rattlesnake Mountain but that is not possible because of sacred Native American tradition. I do like the Wahluke National wildlife Refuge.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 6:05 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote: "How about a World Heritage Park, partially owned by Japan like diplomatic grounds. A Peace Park?" there is an international peace park in Hiroshima at the only building left standing after the bombing

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 6:13 pm 
gb wrote:
On the subject of Hanford NP the one place at Hanford that I would love to have been able to visit is Rattlesnake Mountain but that is not possible because of sacred Native American tradition.
You are correct that Rattlesnake Mtn is sacred to the Columbia Plateau nations. It was once a destination for those on a spirit quest but now has a number of antennas on top. But I drove up to the top several years along with a field seminar class studying sagebrush ecology. I don't think it is part of the Hanford Nuclear Reservation. Gable Mtn across the street is also sacred to the First Nations and it is off limits as it is on the Hanford Nuclear Reservation. The First Nations refer to it as Nooksay however.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 6:18 pm 
Rattlesnake Mtn is in the process of being allowed to have access - so far the argument seems to be between Natives, who want no access other than their own, hikers - who want foot access, and regular old out of shape Americans who want to be able to drive to the top.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 7:35 pm 
Seeing as there is already a road and cell phone towers, I can't see how public access would further degrade the mountain. I do think the road should be opened exclusively to foot and bike access, and that no new developments be made to the area. Regarding the National Park, I think it's a great idea, and I'd certainly like to visit it sometime next year.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 8:50 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Regarding the National Park, I think it's a great idea, and I'd certainly like to visit it sometime next year.
I worked for the Battelle National Lab down at Hanford for 3.5 years in the late 1970's early 1980's. My security clearance and ID badge allowed me access to the area where all the old atomic reactors and original town site of Hanford was located. My wife and I went out there on a few weekend outings. I also canoed the last free flowing stretch of the Columbia River that flows past the old reactors. I don't know about now but back then it was a fascinating place.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 8:53 pm 
When I grew up in grade school we would hear the siren and file out of the class room into the hallway where we bent over and closed our eyes tight for the light of the expected blast and waited for the first shock wave. Steven Spielbergs Greatest Generation had bequeathed it's legacy upon myself and other young students. The gym down the hallway was where my cub scout meetings were held. Steven Spielberg was a eagle boy scout. He coined that term. It wouldn't be long before I would have a draft card for the Vietnam War. Somewhere above Two Corps at the top of the jungle river was a special forces officer named Kurtz who said, "Nuke Them All". I learned how to shoot my trainer rifle in the boy scouts.