Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Dec 27, 2015 12:31 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
My suspicion for CL's reason for replacing my cable with copper instead of fiber is that if they used fiber then I would also probably be able to get service from Comcast if I wanted.
Makes no sense. Comcast service uses the cable TV shielded copper wire to provide data service. If century link ran fiber down your street they would be the ones that could provide a fiber connection. Fiber is more complex to layout and connect, so service so far has been limited to high density urban centers where there are folks willing to pay two-three times Comcast /etc rates to have gigabit service. Which I think is mostly about ego, unless they are running their business's server farm in their basement.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Dec 27, 2015 1:32 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
If century link ran fiber down your street they would be the ones that could provide a fiber connection. Fiber is more complex to layout and connect, so service so far has been limited to high density urban centers where there are folks willing to pay two-three times Comcast /etc rates to have gigabit service.
There already is fiber down my street, they just won't bring it to my house (even though they are going to replace the wire anyway).
RandyHiker wrote:
Makes no sense. Comcast service uses the cable TV shielded copper wire to provide data service.
In my region Comcast offers fiber, but not internet through copper wire. Centurylink offers internet through copper wire, but not fiber. Because my house is just slightly too far from the main road Comcast won't lay the cable, and Centurylink won't either, even though they are replacing the copper cable. Maybe there's some logical explanation I'm not seeing, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it might be!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
christensent

christensent
PostSun Dec 27, 2015 5:52 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Surely fiber optic is both faster, cheaper, and longer lasting, so why not install it instead? They'd be able to sell me more expensive faster internet for crying out loud! I'm sure there's some hidden way that they profit from not installing fiber optic, I just can't figure out what it is.
I bet you can pay them to install fiber instead of copper. And I bet they know that if you're likely to pay for the more expensive speed, you're also likely to pay for the install.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat