Forum Index > Photography Talk > Rx100 question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slugsworth

slugsworth
PostSat Jan 02, 2016 4:44 pm 
I've got an rx100 the second version, and I was curious how large I could successfully completed print an image and if anyone has tips for me. I printed a 20x16 and am pretty happy with it but would like to be able to make some much larger prints.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSat Jan 02, 2016 6:42 pm 
16x24 would be approaching the upper limits of print size for a 21 MP camera if you want to print at the highest possible quality. But quality can be subjective and you might squeeze out an adequate 24x36 or even a 30x45. At some point sharpness and clarity will become unacceptable- you'll probably have to experiment to figure out what works for your eyes, camera and printer specifications. Here's a chart and some basic guidelines:
I'd imagine there are a plethora of different charts and corresponding opinions about this subject...

slugsworth

slugsworth
PostSat Jan 02, 2016 11:54 pm 
Awesome, great start, thanks!

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Jan 03, 2016 7:09 am 
Great chart contour, I've never seen that. This resolution thing has been discussed here a number of times. Like all art issues the limits lie in the eye of the beholder, the type of picture, and viewing distance. I'm a sharpness freak and love viewing big nature/moutain prints up close, examining details, which makes me feel like I'm really there. The best of those prints have traditionally made with large format film and view cameras. Top of the line digital, especially when multiple shots are stitched, can now come close to that kind of immersive view. You can even achieve it with your little camera with good technique. On the other hand the top rated photos in a recent show I attended were pretty low resolution and looked quite grainy viewed close (I wouldn't have chosen them).

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jan 03, 2016 12:58 pm 
I've printed a 24x36 from a 6mp camera in the past and it looked fine for what it was (you're not going to be pixel peeping 6 inches from the surface of the image if you print that big). A 21mp camera is more than capable of printing that large. The key is to allow the printer driver to do the resizing for you (at least assuming you're using a lab - I'd be wary of this option if you're doing the printing yourself unless you really understand the nuances of your printer and have it properly calibrated in conjunction with your paper, ink, and monitor). A nice added benefit to this method is this allows you to not have to worry about how to sharpen or post-process for a larger-than-native resolution image.

slugsworth

slugsworth
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 8:01 pm 
Much thanks, I plan on using commercial printing e.g. shutterfly or stretch and staple. I have one really nice print, and would like to do some bigger ones, if anyone has any direct experience with this camera I would appreciate it.

OwenT

OwenT
PostWed Jan 06, 2016 9:38 am 
I printed two of my pictures from my rx100 first edition at 20x30 and I think they look great. I'm not sure what quality they were printed at but you might be able to go a little larger not too much probably though. Of course viewing distance is a huge factor so depending on that you might want to go bigger or smaller. Up close mine look just fine.

slugsworth

slugsworth
PostWed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm 
Awesome Owen, that helps a lot.