Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Bureau of Reclamation Historic Sites
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jan 08, 2016 9:49 am 
They own hundreds of historic places, some posted and others secret. They have a historian who can be emailed. I have a question about a place in Idaho but I don't know yet how they will respond to my inquiry. I shall see.. Here is a page from their website. Interesting stuff. http://www.usbr.gov/cultural/protect.html
tamarackfallssign
tamarackfallssign
tamarackfallsbridge
tamarackfallsbridge
The ancient seasonal fishing village was in those trees. Imagine a Shoshone tepee.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Jan 09, 2016 8:32 pm 
Snowbrushy: Thanks for posting the BOR site. I have also made an inquiry and will see where it leads. I was interested in learning about an old dam here in Central Oregon that the bureau rebuilt back in the late 90's. I was in charge of the field survey work during the reconstruction. At the time the lake was drained an archaeological group from, I think, WSU did a dig just upstream from the dam. I was curious to learn what they might have found. The original dam was built back around 1920 by a bunch of local ranchers to impound water for irrigation out east of Prineville OR. They sluiced dirt from the surrounding hill sides, piled it up across the canyon and covered it with large rock. The BOR finally declared it unsafe and rebuilt it. I would like to get information on how the original dam was built. I belong to a local archaeology society and would like to use the info for a presentation to the group. I will let you know if I get a reply from my request.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jan 11, 2016 6:59 am 
Dick B wrote:
..did a dig just upstream from the dam. I was curious to learn what they might have found.
Good luck. I'm not sure how much info. they can share about a site because of the law(s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiquities_Act The Umatila tribe has a historian who knows a lot about eastern Oregon prehistory. I forget his name. The only luck that I've ever had getting sensitive info. from the Fed's or Indians is to personally speak with them. I would visit here early on a slow day and ask your questions: http://wildhorseresort.com/entertainment/museum Good luck. Let us know.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
mike

mike
PostMon Jan 11, 2016 10:43 am 
Dick, I suggest that you contact Steve at the Bowman Museum in Prineville. (PM for contact info)

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Jan 11, 2016 4:58 pm 
Thanks all for the suggestions. Lynn promptly returned my email and suggested I contact the present BOR archaeologist for this area. I had contacted Chris in the past but she was not able to come up with anything. I will check the museum and I will also go by the irrigation district office and see if they have anything in their records. I know how sensitive the Native Americans are about there heritage sites. They don't want pot hunters coming in or people defacing their rock art. Our archaeology group has always had a pretty good relationship with the Warm Springs tribes. We also have an active stewardship program that monitors a lot of the historical and pre-historical sites here in Central Oregon.