Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bellingham computer repair?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 7:12 pm 
My 89-year-old friend tries to use his PC but doesn't have the savvy to solve problems that he runs into with it. If anyone knows of a good computer repair service in Bellingham that is reasonably priced and has the patience to deal with an elderly person I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.

rhughes Painter Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park RoyEHughes.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 10:37 pm 
Buy the poor soul a Chromebook and call it good.

Badger

Badger
PostMon Jan 25, 2016 2:06 am 
sent mail

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 25, 2016 11:17 am 
I wish I could help, hopefully Badger has hooked you up. I just found a nice frame for that wonderful North Cascades artwork you gave me after my friend Ernie died. I will now have three framed Roy Hughes digital block prints on the wall of my "guy room". cool.gif

reststep

reststep
PostMon Jan 25, 2016 11:53 am 
Just a thought and I don't know if it would work but they may have computer classes at the senior center in Bellingham.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostMon Jan 25, 2016 4:28 pm 
Thanks to those with helpful replies. I decided not to spend a hundred and a half of my money to have him try to learn yet another computer. Bob sent me a very helpful email to which I replied: Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful message. I agree with all that you say and have suggested these things to my friend. To which he responds, "I *want* to." but never acts. The posting is sort of a last ditch effort on my part. It's a "you can lead a horse to water..." situation. I suspect that he needs a techie to come in first as I think he may have a virus in his machine which is causing a basic problem. I supplied him with a list of computer science profs at WWU and told him to contact one to find a student who could help. He hasn't done this. I told him about libraries and senior centers and he hasn't followed up. Exactly what he needs is a knowledgeable high school student who can come in frequently and tutor him but he hasn't pursued this either. Age, I think, is a major part of the problem. He was once an ace math teacher but in the past few years I can detect some mental deterioration.

rhughes Painter Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park RoyEHughes.com
goal20hc
goal20hc

goal20hc
goal20hc
PostThu Jan 28, 2016 10:08 pm 
Have had really great help from Haywire. They are just down from Hardware Sales on James Street. Very nice, down to earth people.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 9:02 am 
FWIW: I've had to "service" a number of technically chalaneged in-laws PCs -- Most of the time it is pretty simple -- but one particular in-law was so adept at installing Malware that after fixing their PC the third time -- I removed "Admin" right from their login account and changed the password to the "administrator" account. Their PC ran for months without any trouble after that -- It was a lot less work to install a few months of updates during a visit that dealing with "Internet Explorer won't lanuch anymore" (With six search toolbars installed - who can blame IE)

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 10:33 am 
My old high school fishy buddy is technically challenged as well and usually the only time he "drops by" he has a problem with his computer. I have had to fix software problems for him many times. He had once mentioned the use of a cell phone for emergencies only to call 911. I gave him an older phone I no longer used and told him that to turn it on you pushed the red button. It was a few days before he decided to give it a try and pushed the red button...Nothing happened so he asked someone how to turn it on and was told you had to hold the red button until it came on.....duh!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 10:44 am 
When my folks were still living in their house (which was across the street from mine) I needed to "Fix the TV" a few times a month. Because they had inadvertently pressed the TV/VCR button on the remote and now the signal was coming from the DVD player instead of the cable box. My dad now lives in assisted living -- the remotes there are very simple -- big buttons too -- no problems. A couple of times he has bought (or been given by my siblings) various cell phones. But he doesn't get the concept of having to charge it. He is 89 now, but more importantly, he had a TBI when he was in his sixties and lost most of his short term memory -- so learning anything new needs to be real simple.