Forum Index > Trail Talk > I made an amazing geological discovery!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 6:02 am 
When do I get my special. wink.gif But seriously, I found a small door through a ridge couple years ago while ski touring.. Maybe about 6 wide, ten feet tall. With a ten foot header(stone above door). Maybe 6 feet deep. Nothing special, but it looks cool, and not likely to be seen much due to its hard to get to location. Sorry I don't have a photo. I'll get some media when I return with film Crews. wink.gif Point of the topic.. You ever make a "discovery"? Either real, or imagined. Something not quite worth blowing up, but special to you? Here is a discovry I call angry man. My native American friend calls it angry injun.
Thunder ridge, looking towards surprise.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 8:09 am 
Do unmarked or unrecorded mine shafts count as geological? Above a certain Snoco reservoir lurks a mine and cofferdam connected by an open wood flue that must have provided a lot of head pressure for a generator? I find all kinds of that sort of stuff. How about a 65 lb railroad bar in Canyon Creek right we used to keep beverages cool? I grew up swimming and wading in the exact spot and one day boom there it was! BTW if you ever need to move a house or dumptruck, I've got your tool.

illegitimi non carborundum!
philfort

philfort
PostMon Feb 01, 2016 11:41 am 
ale_capone wrote:
I found a small door through a ridge couple years ago while ski touring.. Maybe about 6 wide, ten feet tall. With a ten foot header(stone above door). Maybe 6 feet deep.
Was it this one? This is in an area that I think you play in: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7AkuhunCLJTYXFoWjJjUUJTcFU/view?usp=sharing The Hummels and I found a cave a few hundred feet below the summit of Cadet in the couloir on the west face. About 20 feet deep and larger inside - easily big enough to stand up in. I guess it could have been a mine shaft (given the area), but there weren't any noticeable signs of past human presence.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 7:17 am 
Ha! That's the one Phil! Nice.. Z-bo skinned right past it Monday. Not sure if he noticed. Guess that saves me the trouble of going back for some photographic evidence. I know for sure at least a dozen or two people here have snow shoed past it. Jason was talking about returning to that area this winter sometime. I'f I go, I'll see if he can point the cave out. Have to find out if you made a geological, or historical find. I like any kind of find. I could just change the title to."just like Christopher Columbus, I made a discovery!" My favorite personal was discovering the worst alder thicket/ devils club shwack I've ever encountered. After a couple hours of going nowhere I managed to beat my way to some running water. I sat to get a drink, and amused myself thinking. " well, I bet at least I'm in a spot noone else is dumb enough to suffer." Until I went for a drink and found a modern water filtering device.. Not even old enough to be historical.... Fail!

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 8:16 am 
Wait a minute.. Is that a current photo, as in, taken Monday?.. I was basically standing in the same spot sunday..

Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 8:34 am 
I discovered this in the late eighties...... http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/mason-county-salmon-fossils-are-about-1-million-years-old/ figured making it public would just ruin the location. The scientist cut out all of the fossil bearing shale and completely changed the river valley doing it.There is more down stream I am waiting for them to exploit.Was fun to pich through the shale and find the fish fossils every spring.

philfort

philfort
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 10:49 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Wait a minute.. Is that a current photo, as in, taken Monday?.. I was basically standing in the same spot sunday..
Nope, taken several years ago. There's that big door on Mowich Face too, but I assume lots of people have seen that.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 5:37 am 
On, sweet! That means you seen it before me. I'll make sure you get credtied biggrin.gif We'll call it "Phil's hole" oCD kicked in. Yesterday two others, myself and a dog all went up. Little harder to access then in your photo.ice cover rock slab at the front door. The back door is unaccessable, but has the potential for a rowdy ski of 100' . super nice foyer, with a ledge, and room for a dozen.

philfort

philfort
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 11:38 am 
Haha, awesome. We discovered it on 2/5 2006 (OMG ten year anniversary!). I'll await the royalties! (I'll give you a cut, since you actually went up into it)!

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 am 
Little late. Sorting through old photos, and I found these...
Access is a little steep, but not Terrible. Could be possible to do a "through" hike.

gb

gb
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 9:00 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Little late. Sorting through old photos, and I found these...
Access is a little steep, but not Terrible. Could be possible to do a "through" hike.
That may be the same window I saw while touring in the mid 90's in the same area. Given the massive granite in the region it may not be the only one.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 9:25 am 
I would say highly likely the same one, especially if seen while ski touring. You guys are killig my buzz.wink.gif Phil, please forward all royalties to GB.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 pm 
access is a little steep.... lol.gif cool formation!

friluftsliv
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 1:09 pm 
Sweet pix. I love that area winter or summer.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers