Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Yurt camping in Oregon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 10:54 pm 
I just reserved a yurt for a few nights at South Beach State Park in Oregon, near Newport. It'll be the first time staying in a yurt. Also my first time at South Beach. Has anyone stayed in a yurt? Or, can anyone recommend things to do while at South Beach area?

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jan 29, 2016 11:07 pm 
Been a while since I've been to Newport. Looks like the State Park is near the aquarium. It's where Free Willy lived for a while. A bit further south, but if you're already there the Yachats/Cape Perpetua area is cool. Then again any beach on the Oregon Coast is nice.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jan 31, 2016 10:15 am 
We might have stayed at that park a few years ago. It was nice - still kind of cool in the yurts, even with the heaters. the Aquarium is fabulous in Newport, and if you still have time to kill, go to the Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center. My cousin used to work there; they have a smaller aquarium, still interesting. The yurts generally have a small table inside, but you'll want your own camping stove and all utensils. It's nice having flush toilets nearby. up.gif I seem to remember one of the beaches in Newport having exposed fossils on the cliffs? I think there are places to look for agates around there, too, but my memory is fading on these things. When we went, we drove south from there along Hwy 101 and pulled out at all the stops along the way. Really neat trip. We spent another night down by the dunes in southern Oregon, those were really cool. Also, somewhere down there is a cool nature walk just off the highway with some giant pitcher plants. Edit: Here is a link to my old blog with a post about that trip: http://forgetmenotdays.blogspot.com/search?q=newport Looks like we stayed at Beverly Beach SP. But you can see the things we did and see if they interest you.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 31, 2016 8:32 pm 
Take a bike and you can peddle around to the brewery. The brewery and aquariums are in that area. There is also a seafood place on the highway that sells fresh seafood or you can order cooked food there. It used to be pretty good although it looked like a dive. Rogue Ales used to have beer sales on three day weekends. The last one I went to had no good deals. Maybe we got there too late. There are lots of trails around--both official and not. I seem to recall a frisbee golf course also. I was there overnight in November. There are numerous trails to connect with the beach. They get longer as you go north. Old Town Newport is across the bridge and there are noisy seals that hang out on old docks. That area is pretty touristy. Also, if you are there at the right time, you can sign up and go on a kayak tour (state park sponsored) of Beaver Cr. which is a few miles south on 101. Or go on down to Waldport and I think you can rent kayaks to paddle around the bay or go up Lint Slough. There is a kite store on 101 in downtown Newport. You can always fly those on the beach as there is usually a wind. There is also the Yaquina Natural Area on the north side of Newport. There is a haunted lighthouse just on the north side of Yaquina Bay--the other side of the bridge. People fish off the jetty. That's all I know. I think. Except Agate Beach is north, kinda by the Walmart. You can't camp in that Walmart's parking lot. I got stared at by a cop as I was parked and putting groceries in my plastic airstream. Oh, and this...they used to and still might be? hiding locally made glass balls on the beach. You might want to check out and see if they still are. I have a few. One I found on the shore of an island up Alsea Bay while kayaking.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 am 
Wow. Look at the weather prediction for Oregon Coast next week. I'm thinking about a trip that way because of the forecast.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
mike

mike
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 11:43 am 
A yurt sounds like none of the benefits of a motel and all the disadvantages of a tent. Is there a price savings? Anyway I can recommend a small motel right on the beach S of Yachats if the weather sucks. "Sucks" on the coast isn't a bad thing smile.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 1:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Wow. Look at the weather prediction for Oregon Coast next week. I'm thinking about a trip that way because of the forecast.
And this might be a good reason to go take a look also...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 7:06 pm 
mike wrote:
A yurt sounds like none of the benefits of a motel and all the disadvantages of a tent. Is there a price savings?
The yurt is $54 per night. Actually only $44 per night, but I need to pay an extra $10 per night pet fee. We tented it last year on the coast, and my wife would much prefer a different option this season. And, I'll just be finishing a week-long backpack, so I'll be tired of the tent also.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
mike

mike
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 8:12 pm 
Can no longer recommend a place to stay. Sorry to say I just read that the SeeView Motel was bulldozed last year. frown.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Feb 02, 2016 9:20 pm 
South Beach SP has some of the better showers of the parks along the coast that I've stayed at.

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:30 pm 
Yurt camping is OK. The smell of the vinyl is overwhelming. Old town Newport is interesting. I also recommend visiting the Rouge Brewery. Depose Bay is worth a quick stop - the Spouting Horn (during the right conditions) and the bay's entrance are interesting.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 4:24 pm 
My first yurt experience was also at South Beach State Park, the start of my lifelong love affair with yurts. You probably know to bring your own bedding/sleeping bags. Also, bring all your own cooking gear and utensils. A simple electric tea kettle is a nice addition, allowing you to boil water without having to go outside. Visits to Yaquina Bay State Park and Cape Perpetua Scenic Area immediately come to mind. Check the tide tables if you're interested in tidepooling. There is so much to see and do on the Oregon Coast, there are interesting things every few miles. You really should get an Oregon Coast guide such as this one.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 5:16 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
You really should get an Oregon Coast guide such as
I have that one, but I prefer the William O. Sullivan guide. His books are very similar to the Spring/Manning 100 hikes series and cover pretty much every corner of Oregon.

Slugman
It痴 a Slugfest!

Slugman
It痴 a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 6:01 pm 
I went there last year for a few days. I moved on, but for a reason not likely to apply to others: the beach is accessed by descending dunes of soft sand. Not a problem for most, but Daisy the retired wonder dog needs a smooth, firm surface to walk on. When I went for a walk by myself, it was awesome, the dunes give a feel of isolation from civilization.