Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Earth, Wind and Fire. Rest in peace--Maurice White.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 6:45 pm 
The co-founder and a lead vocalist for Earth, Wind and Fire--Maurice White has passed away. Per Wikipedia: Earth, Wind & Fire is an American band that has spanned the musical genres of R&B, soul, funk, jazz, disco, pop, rock, Latin and African. They are one of the most successful bands of the 20th century. Per an article in The Rolling Stone: Earth, Wind and Fire vocalist and co-founder Maurice White died in his sleep in Los Angeles on Wednesday evening. A rep for the band confirmed his passing to Rolling Stone. He was 74. The singer had been battling Parkinson’s disease since 1992, according to TMZ. His health had reportedly deteriorated in recent months. Because of the disease, he had not toured with the pioneering soul and R&B group since 1994. He nevertheless remained active on the business side of the group. White, who formed the group with Verdine in 1969, helped innovate a lush, eclectic style with Earth, Wind and Fire that drew inspiration from funk, jazz, R&B and Latin music – as well as Sly Stone and James Brown – for a unique sound that set the tone for soul music in the Seventies. The springy, elastic soul-pop of “Shining Star,” which White co-wrote, earned them their first Number One, and paved the way for hits like the joyful “Sing a Song,” the percussive and brassy “September,” their swinging cover of the Beatles’ “Got to Get You Into My Life” and the robotic disco of “Let’s Groove.” Rolling Stone included the group’s sweetly smooth 1975 single, “That’s the Way of the World,” on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
Boogie Wonderland with awesome costumes. Some happy folks here. Go Full Screen. Don't miss out. breakdance.gif Thanks Maurice and EWF for some fabulous music and great energy. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 8:30 pm 
Yet another reminder this year... eek.gif frown.gif Back in the day, always enjoyed "Shining Star" merging into "That's the Way of the World" on the LP. peace.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 8:56 pm 
Saw them at a private party at CES in the early 00's and was blown away as I had thought they were passé. Very professional even though I was not a disco guy. RIP

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 pm 
We saw them at the Paramount Theater the year Way of the World came out. Truly amazing performance! RIP Maurice.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Feb 05, 2016 10:24 am 
And do you remember September?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Feb 05, 2016 10:39 am 
Last night I was talking with my friend who I went to the Paramount Theater EWF concert with. We both agreed that when Maurice hit the high notes singing "Reasons" he pretty much blew the top off the building. wink.gif We also heard Joni Mitchell sing her "Blue" album at the Paramount. Simply stunning.. Oh, and BB King And Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays, what a knockout! And many more, don't get me started! dizzy.gif