Forum Index > Gear Talk > Dynafit binding failures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 am 
My Dynafit Speed Radical bindings failed a couple weekends ago and Dynafit is denying the warranty claim since they are more than two years old, even though I have less that 30 days skiing on them. I've been asking around and so far everyone I've asked has either had the same problem or knows someone who has. It seems to me that Dynafit either chose an improper material or the design has severe stress risers causing premature failure. If you or someone you know has had a failure like or similar to the issue below please post back here or contact me directly. I think Dynafit should be recalling or at least replacing these bindings when they fail.
Loren loren@cascadeclimber.com

If not now, when?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 05, 2016 10:09 am 
The first year the Radicals came out there were two problems that got a lot of attention. 1) Defect in the spring pins in the main pivot. These pins were supposed to prevent rotation while the heel piece was in tour mode. When the pins failed the result was that in tour mode the heel piece would easily rotate into ski mode. 2) The plastic pieces on the top of the binding that hold the elevators could crack. In a pair of Radical ST's I had issue #1 replaced by the recall and issue #2 replaced under warranty with in the first year. The damage shown in your photo looks like the plastic broke around one of the spring pins from rotational pressure. It is possible to buy individual replacement heel pieces: http://skimo.co/dynafit-binding-heels FWIW: I gotten rid of all my "Radical" bindings in favor of Dynafit Speed SuperLights and SKI TRAB TR RACE bindings. The lack of length adjustment requires precision in mounting and doesn't allow swapping boots. However I have had zero problems with these bindings.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 08, 2016 9:27 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
If you or someone you know has had a failure like or similar to the issue below please post back here or contact me directly.
Many people have experienced similar failures on gen1 Speed Radicals. See, e.g., posts on TGR Tech Talk. Gen1 Speed Radical w/ anti-rotation pin system design sucked. Gen2 has a different anti-rotation design that does not result in undue stresses where OP's binding broke. Speed Radical gen2 binding is a good binding and is holding up well for most people, although I've seen a few top plate failures, most of which can be avoided by occasionally snugging up the top plate fixing screwing (avoid overtorqueing and breaking them.) (ETA: There was a recall re top plate failures re all gen1 Radical heels.) My favorite tech binding is a Speed Classic heel modded with B&D top plate and volcano (Comfort style) updated with 4-screw Radical toe. (Shim to get proper ramp delta.) The Speed Classic heel is bomber and will last years if you properly maintain it. Randy, do you ever wish you had a flat touring mode with the Trab TR Race binding? I had a similar race binding but sold it because I like having a flat touring mode.

radka

radka
PostWed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 pm 

The future is yard birds
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 9:04 am 
radka, you might consider the Dynafit Speed Turn 2.0, a burly binding without the Radical weak spots, only 1.5 lbs./pair, with a flat touring mode, available from domestic sellers for $280 and available from Europe for <$200. The Speed Turn 2.0 has a 4-screw toe, but without the power towers. The heel body is most recent gen Speed Radical body, but with the tried & true TLT Classic top plate (which I prefer to update with a B&D top plate and B&D Comfort-style volcano). If I were buying new tech bindings, that's what I'd get, with the B&D updates. I've seen too many Radical top plate failures.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am 
To follow this up, after a week of calling, emailing, and posting on the Dynafit Facebook page they told me they weren't going to cover this because the bindings are more than two years old. Someone emailed me from one of these posts and pointed out that there was a voluntary recall of all Gen1 Radicals...something that Dynafit/Salewa didn't tell me, even though they obviously knew about it and that my bindings qualified. Days after I emailed them that info and asked why my bindings didn't qualify, they grudgingly offered to replace them. When I asked them why they hadn't offered this in the first place they non-sensically said this is their busy time of year. This is NOT the Dynafit whose bindings and boots I've been using for 20 years without a single failure. They seem to have too many products (12 different boot liners alone on their web site) and have lost focus, or at least the ability to produce a solid, reliably product.

If not now, when?
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 10:07 am 
Yup, there was a recall of your binding. I'm surprised your gen1 Speed Radicals lasted that long. Everyone I knew with those gen1 SRs broke them early in their first season. It's the same company, just experiencing some growing pains. #1 rule of tech binding purchase decision: Never buy a first generation of any tech binding.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 10:23 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
This is NOT the Dynafit whose bindings and boots I've been using for 20 years without a single failure
It certainly isn't their patent expired a few years ago and they were acquired by Salewa. OTH Their classic binding are now under $300 vs $500 before the patents expired. But yeah the radical heel pieces are like Vista vs XP

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 11:03 am 
Well, lousy story, but I'm glad you finally got them replaced. I was quite pleased to have Marmot still up and running and advocating for me when my Manaslu skis delaminated. Dynafit ultimately agreed to send them a different model (they were out of stock in Manaslu skis in my size) and Marmot gave me a pair of Manaslus off the floor. I really miss having that shop nearby... (also glad I didn't get that particular binding based on what I'm reading here! though perhaps there are lurking demons in my Vertical bindings...)

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 12:00 pm 
Salewa Group bought Dynafit 13 years ago, in Feb 2003. Martin Volken's shop in NB seems to be tight with Dynafit NA.

radka

radka
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 pm 

The future is yard birds
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 12:21 pm 
FWIW: I switched to B&D leashes instead of brakes after I had pair of Radical STs release in a fall and not deploy the brakes and the ski skittered a few hundred feet down the hill. The heel piece twisted during release and stuck in enough of a rotated position that it prevented the brakes from deploying.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 12:41 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I'm surprised your gen1 Speed Radicals lasted that long.
I skied on them two days last year: An approach day to Muir and then a ski from the summit. The year before that was maybe three days like that plus a day or two lift-served: They have been very lightly used since new. My older orange Verticals are fine after much more use, and my Gen1 TLT bindings, which I assembled from a parts bin at Marmot in about 1997, are still fine. Putting a spring-loaded metal pin against plastic like they did for the anti-rotation mechanism is plain dumb and sure to cause failures. Combining that with an inferior/brittle plastic compound are basic engineering and lifecycle testing failures. I mean, there is just no way they could have done any accelerated lifecycle testing on them and not seen these early-onset failures. Classic example of how to alienate formerly die-hard customers. And it's not like 15 years ago when there wasn't an alternative; the expired patent means that companies like Plum are offering competing, compatible products.

If not now, when?
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 1:04 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
B&D leashes instead of brakes
up.gif I've been very happy with my leashes which I've attached via the breakaway zip-ties that they include with them. Among other things, I like that I can leave the leashes on when putting on skins at the bottom of a run when I'm still on a hillside or otherwise have reason to take skis off in spots where a loose ski could take off. The breakaway attachment held fine in the one or two falls where I've released on hardpack, and yet it broke w/o my even noticing the force when I did a not-very graceful fall where my ski was held above me by some xmas trees (I believe that was during my last ski outing with Randy a few years ago, in fact!). Much nicer than the stock Dynafit leashes which you do need to take off when transitioning from downhill to uphill mode. I also find turning the heel post with my ski pole to be quite quick and easy - it's the sort of thing where once you get the positioning and movement down it's just automatic. Well, except when that volcano thing gets filled packed firm with snowball snow - that takes an extra moment to clear out with my pole tip. Another reason they call them "Dynafiddles!" But to each their own...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 2:06 pm 
radka wrote:
I didn't know of these bindings but here is an issue I would have - I really dislike fiddling with my gear and I like to adjust my heel lifters frequently. Having to turn the binding with my pole to adjust the heel lifter would drive me bananas. I want something that flips easily - like the Radicals, but without the failure. Another problems is that these do not have brakes and only come with leashes. I can't stand leashes for the same reason. (And I do need brakes
+1 to joker's comments re B&D leashes in lieu of brakes. Flipper heel risers are a bit more convenient but they put your body weight out on lever off the top plate (thus resulting in many failures as you've experienced) vs. the old twist technology which disperses the forces in compression through the entire binding. I'm a big guy who tours 50+ days/year and I thus favor robustness over all other factors, so I have avoided the flipper heel risers. A few seconds (total) per tour is the price to pay for a more robust design. Having put hundreds of days on various (non-Beast) tech bindings, IME the most bomber combo is the old TLT Classic or Speed Classic heel with the 4-screw Radical 1.0 toe. Turn 2.0 gets you close to that, which is why I suggested it. ETA: Radka, do you occasionally check to ensure that the top plate fixing screws are snug? Any amount of gap will significantly contribute to the risk of the kind of failure you've experience. Note: I say "snug" because overtightening can result in shearing the screws, which have a thin cross section and are quite brittle.
cascadeclimber wrote:
Classic example of how to alienate formerly die-hard customers.
Dynafit binding sales increase year after year, so they are pleasing the masses. The good news is Dynafit makes and sells the Turn 2.0 for those die-hard customers who have had success with TLT Classic and Speed Classic models.