Forum Index > Trip Reports > Union, Jove, McCausland - 2016-02-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Feb 10, 2016 6:19 pm 
Panorama of Alpine Lakes Wilderness from Mt. Stuart to Mt. Hinman (from Jove Peak)
Panorama of Alpine Lakes Wilderness from Mt. Stuart to Mt. Hinman (from Jove Peak)
With the warm weather and moderate avalanche risk ( http://www.nwac.us/avalanche-forecast/avalanche-region-forecast/2078/cascade-west-stevens-pass/ ), I wanted to do a fairly safe snowshoe trip that would also allow me to change my plans depending on the conditions. I decided to go the Smithbrook area, and finish an earlier attempt of Union/Jove. If the snow was efficient, perhaps we could finally even reach McCausland. From the WTA report of EasternImport, I knew that there was a track to Union, which would make the first climb a lot easier. The main avalanche concern to me was Jove, where the ridge is entirely south-facing. To avoid the warmest hours of the day, I started very early (5:30am) and was planning to leave Jove before noon. It turned out that the snow was not a big concern. I've seen people refer to the Smithbrook area as the 'fridge', which was definitely applicable today. This area is remarkably good at capturing cold air, and right over the Stevens Pass the temperature quickly dropped to 25F at the trailhead (it was 54F a bit beyond Skykomish). The snow had a small crust, not enough to hold a person, but enough to keep the sun busy during the day. Starting at 5:30am, we made quick progress on the very packed Smithbrook Road (no snowshoes necessary) to the summer Lake Valhalla / Union Gap trailhead. There was a good track to Union Peak, established by EasternImport, and a party that apparently did a McCausland attempt (the tracks split at the meadow before Union Gap) The climb to the meadows before Union Gap was pleasant, but the section from those meadows to Union Peak was still as steep as it was previous attempt! I was happy once I reached the ridge, and enjoyed the ridge walk to Union Peak. I was a bit too late to enjoy sunrise there, but it was still gorgeous with views in all directions (Chiwaukum, Lichtenberg, Mt Daniel, Hinman, Monte Cristos, Sloan, Mt. Baker, Glacier Peak etc). You do need to strategically walk around a bit on the summit to get all the views. The descent to the gap between Union and Jove was straightforward (500ft down). There is an interesting (non overhanging) cornice ridge there, mostly between trees. At points where it got a bit more narrow, it's possible to just walk in the trees. The ascent to Jove (800ft up) was easier than I expected. The cornices get slightly more dangerous here (they can slide down), but until the very last section to the summit you can entirely walk in the trees, which avoids that risk entirely. We arrived at the summit at 10:15. The views from Jove are awesome. There was a strong, cold eastern wind though, so we staid for only 30 minutes. The 500ft back up to Union was not a big deal. Travel is very efficient, and the amazing views kept me busy. This is were I ran into the only person I saw during the day. A snowshoer drove down from Vancouver BC, and was doing his first snowshoe in the Stevens Pass area. He picked a good trip and day! The descend from Union Peak to the meadows was steep and not my favorite part (just like the way up). Down in the meadow before the gap (at 12:30), I had to decide whether to continue to McCausland. There was a track in that direction, which was the final encouragement I needed to extend the trip. Unfortunately, I soon found out that this party turned around just a bit after reaching the PCT. I wasn't going to give up at this point, so I continued, now breaking trail. My plan for McCausland was to not follow the ridge (which I think is the usual route), but stay on the SE slope, where there are some trees, and this slope is less exposed to sun (loose wet being a concern). Once I reached this slope, I found a cross-country skier track, which I politely didn't crush with my snowshoes. This route worked out great. It was nice to enjoy the views from McCausland as well. It is fairly similar to Union/Jove, but the cliffs of Lichtenberg close by and the different time of the day made it definitely worth visiting. We went back to the Smithbrook road via the creek visible on the topomap, staying north of the creek. It was wonderful snow there, due to the Smithbrook fridge and the shade from Lichtenberg. We were back at the car at 5:30pm. 12.5 miles, 5200ft elevation gain All photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/albums/72157664545222415 Part 1: Union Peak
Lichtenberg (foreground), Daniel, Hinman, Chimney Rocks and Mt. Rainier from Union Peak
Lichtenberg (foreground), Daniel, Hinman, Chimney Rocks and Mt. Rainier from Union Peak
Nason Ridge from Union Peak (left Mt. Howard, right Rock Mountain)
Nason Ridge from Union Peak (left Mt. Howard, right Rock Mountain)
View of Jove Peak from Union Peak
View of Jove Peak from Union Peak
Jove and the Rainy Creek drainage towards Little Wenatchee River (from Union Peak)
Jove and the Rainy Creek drainage towards Little Wenatchee River (from Union Peak)
Wind effects at Union Peak
Wind effects at Union Peak
Sloan, Pugh, White Chuck and Mt Baker from Union Peak
Sloan, Pugh, White Chuck and Mt Baker from Union Peak
Glacier Peak from Union Peak
Glacier Peak from Union Peak
Part 2: Jove
Fog gap between SE ridge of Union Peak and Nason Ridge
Fog gap between SE ridge of Union Peak and Nason Ridge
Foggy Rainy Creek drainage (from Jove Peak)
Foggy Rainy Creek drainage (from Jove Peak)
Labyrinth Mountain (center) from Jove Peak
Labyrinth Mountain (center) from Jove Peak
View west with Olympics in the very far distance (from Jove Peak)
View west with Olympics in the very far distance (from Jove Peak)
Union Peak in foreground, with the vast Alpine Lakes Wilderness in the distance
Union Peak in foreground, with the vast Alpine Lakes Wilderness in the distance
Lichtenberg, Union Peak, McCausland in foreground. Alpine Lakes Wilderness and Mt. Rainier in background
Lichtenberg, Union Peak, McCausland in foreground. Alpine Lakes Wilderness and Mt. Rainier in background
View towards Mt Stuart (from Jove Peak)
Glacier Peak from Jove Peak, with fog due to inversion hanging in the valleys
Glacier Peak from Jove Peak, with fog due to inversion hanging in the valleys
Fog fingers
Fog fingers
Panorama of Alpine Lakes Wilderness (from Jove Peak)
Panorama of Alpine Lakes Wilderness (from Jove Peak)
Panorama from Sloan to Glacier Peak, with in the distance Pugh and White Chuck, and a little bit of Mt. Baker (from Jove Peak)
Panorama from Sloan to Glacier Peak, with in the distance Pugh and White Chuck, and a little bit of Mt. Baker (from Jove Peak)
Panorama of the Nason Ridge, with Mt Howard (left) and Rock Mountain (right). Rightmost is the beginning of the Chiwaukum range (from Jove Peak)
Panorama of the Nason Ridge, with Mt Howard (left) and Rock Mountain (right). Rightmost is the beginning of the Chiwaukum range (from Jove Peak)
Panorama of the Chiwaukum Range and Mt. Stuart (from Jove Peak)
Panorama of the Chiwaukum Range and Mt. Stuart (from Jove Peak)
Foreground: Union Peak and McCausland (from Jove Peak)
Foreground: Union Peak and McCausland (from Jove Peak)
Foreground: Union Peak and McCausland. Background: Alpine Lakes Wilderness
Foreground: Union Peak and McCausland. Background: Alpine Lakes Wilderness
Part 3: Back to Union
The ridge back to Union Peak from the gap between Union and Jove
The ridge back to Union Peak from the gap between Union and Jove
Panorama from Jove Peak to Nason Ridge (from Union Peak)
Panorama from Jove Peak to Nason Ridge (from Union Peak)
Jove Peak from Union Peak, taking during the return trip. If you zoom in you can see my track in the open sections
Jove Peak from Union Peak, taking during the return trip. If you zoom in you can see my track in the open sections
View west from Union Peak to the peaks at the beginning of the Stevens Pass (Gunn, Baring, Index etc).
View west from Union Peak to the peaks at the beginning of the Stevens Pass (Gunn, Baring, Index etc).
Liesl at Union Peak
Liesl at Union Peak
Part 4: McCausland
Surface hoar in the meadow at Union Gap
Surface hoar in the meadow at Union Gap
Panorama west from McCausland
Panorama west from McCausland
Panorama of the Monte Cristo group and Sloan Peak (from McCausland)
Panorama of the Monte Cristo group and Sloan Peak (from McCausland)
Lichtenberg and Lake Valhalla (from McCausland)
Panorama of Chiwaukum range with Lichtenberg in foreground (from McCausland)
Panorama of Chiwaukum range with Lichtenberg in foreground (from McCausland)
Chiwaukum Panorama (from McCausland)
Chiwaukum Panorama (from McCausland)
Union Peak and Jove Peak from McCausland
Union Peak and Jove Peak from McCausland
Frost on the trees in the area shaded by Lichtenberg
Frost on the trees in the area shaded by Lichtenberg
Track and elevation profile
GPS track for Union, Jove, McCausland
GPS track for Union, Jove, McCausland
Elevation profile for Union->Jove->Union->McCausland
Elevation profile for Union->Jove->Union->McCausland

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Feb 10, 2016 6:41 pm 
up.gif Good Stuff Union to Jove on that ridge is fantastic.

Living in the Anthropocene
RichP

RichP
PostWed Feb 10, 2016 9:59 pm 
Great trifecta and a big day. up.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 11:04 am 
I headed straight up from the gap, way back when, that was steep! Nice when all the brush is covered! Looks like a great day!

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 2:44 pm 
Liesel had a big day! up.gif Isabel says Hi!

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 2:55 pm 
By "we" I assume you mean you and your dog? Congrats on getting all three of these in one day.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 3:07 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
By "we" I assume you mean you and your dog?
Yeah, it makes me feel less solo wink.gif.
Snowdog wrote:
Isabel says Hi!
'We' would love to do another trip with you guys! She is such a nice dog! smile.gif
Brucester wrote:
I headed straight up from the gap, way back when, that was steep!
Yeah, straight up from there seems to be even worse! It also seems to cross some more open slopes, right? I got that impression from looking back at Union from McCausland.

BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostThu Feb 11, 2016 10:33 pm 
Nice! The dogzni got a later start and also headed up Union, but one of the dogs was not stoked on the descent to the saddle on the way to Jove so it was a no go and back up to Union. Blame the dog! Thought about McC on the way out, but would have run out of light. Beautiful day out, though, for sure!

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri Feb 12, 2016 2:38 pm 
BlameTheDogz wrote:
The dogzni got a later start and also headed up Union
Oh wow, you were there the same day? Too bad we missed each other!
BlameTheDogz wrote:
one of the dogs was not stoked on the descent to the saddle
There were some pretty steep cornice hills, was that the problem? I had to destroy a few to get my dog over them as well.

BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostSat Feb 13, 2016 4:33 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
Oh wow, you were there the same day? Too bad we missed each other!
Yes, indeed! I had a brief morning commitment, though, and could not leave town until after nine.
mbravenboer wrote:
There were some pretty steep cornice hills, was that the problem? I had to destroy a few to get my dog over them as well.
That was the issue. She psyched herself out, and the 1 year old pup did not help with his careless attitude. Since she get stuck in a tree well some years ago, she sometimes gets reticent on steeper slopes with exposure, and I have not figured out a way to bolster her confidence in such situations.

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy