Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Earliest Trails in the Olympics
Previous :: Next Topic  
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 8:04 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
RR
Bear Gulch - Mount Rose trail.
I was looking at Metskers at Mason Historical. Penciled on the volume was 1941.
It showed Bear Gulch to Mt Rose trail.
I do agree with others that two major fires combined with 75 years are likely to have removed even the "sawn log" old trail sign.

--------------
Keep Calm and Carry On?
               Heck No.
Stay Excited and Get Outside!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 7:23 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
RR
Bear Gulch - Mount Rose trail.
I was looking at Metskers at Mason Historical. Penciled on the volume was 1941.
It showed Bear Gulch to Mt Rose trail.
I do agree with others that two major fires combined with 75 years are likely to have removed even the "sawn log" old trail sign.

Nice, I'll have to go down there and look at it.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:51 pm 
Photo of trail construction, N. Fk. Quinault, ca 1924 1925.

http://tinyurl.com/nfskok-T-C

--------------
Keep Calm and Carry On?
               Heck No.
Stay Excited and Get Outside!
boomheist

boomheist
PostFri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm 
Upon reviewing the comments here (over the years, it now seems) it seems clear that human beings trekked well into the park thousands of years ago. There have been sites found on Hurricane Ridge, out by Grand Valley, Royal Basin, Seven Lakes Basin, and elsewhere. Heck a spear point was found in a 13,800 year old mastadon bone in Sequim not long ago. We have heard that the first trails established followed native paths, like Wood reports in his guide into the Queets, and that when the first whites entered the wilderness they ran into native parties well in.

My guess is that the interior of this park was traveled by natives since the time humans first arrived here,which may have been well over 15,000 years ago. I'd guess, further, that some of the routes were high, not low. Someone could run the high country from the north to the south via the Bailey and then Skyine traverses; or for that matter from Hurricane Hill east and then south via Lake Lillian then Cameron and Lost Pass then padt the Sisters to Iceburg Lakes down into Godkin then up to Skyline or Muncaster to the south....In the late summer the weather is good, game is plentiful, and traveling this way would be easier than working through the forest along the rivers.

There is a cave up by Hart Lake near ONeil Pass, a big one, sheltered, and there are other places as well protected from weather. My point here is only that just as some of us love to wander around up there and explore and see what is on the other side, so perhaps would ancient people here long long ago, not to mention spiritual and religious motives. And this leads me then to ask, are some the the trails way up there perhaps older than anyone thinks? Up high a boot path lasts a long time, built from a game trail, but perhaps some of those paths up there were first trod and made by men and women in leather foot gear when the great ice filled uget Sound to the east and north (the ice was not covering the Olympics, though, and even then perhaps the ridges were pen and clear.)

Just  thought.
Gunga Bucket's Birthday Trip 372
Gunga Bucket's Birthday Trip 372
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:37 pm 
In my opinion, the native's only purpose for travel into the high country of the Olympics would have been seasonal hunting and gathering..
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
mwjake
?

mwjake
?
PostSun Feb 21, 2016 12:38 pm 
I have read reports where the Quinaults and the Hood Canal [Brinnon] Indians met annually, going over Anderson Pass. A sort of social gathering. Jake

--------------
mwjake
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostWed Feb 24, 2016 10:05 am 
Ruby Hult's "Untamed Olympics" describes Indian legends of tribes meeting peacefully in the interior of the peninsula. The meetings stopped however, and the area was shunned, after some unnamed catastrophe.  The Press expedition found numerous blazed trees and concluded they were “threading passes and gorges long accustomed to the presence of man.”
boomheist

boomheist
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 11:44 am 
There is early and then there is EARLY. I went to the little museum in Sequim and saw the mastadon exhibit there, which dated the find to 13,800 years ago. If people were hunting that long ago in Sequim you can be darn sure they were chasing critters into the mountains too.

https://charliesheldon2.com/2016/12/08/manis-mastodon-spear-point/
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Earliest Trails in the Olympics
  Happy Birthday Mark Griffith, manakiah, jfstofiel!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: