Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Death Valley Flower Bloom
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 7:22 pm 
Article: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/25/death-valley-superbloom-california-wildflowers

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Feb 25, 2016 9:13 pm 
Thanks for sharing the link, Snowbrushy. Here's a bit of the text from the Guardian article and the NPS video with it. The ranger narrator is pretty excited about it. Maybe some of our folks are down there now and will post a trip report soon. ~z Parts of Death Valley, the driest place in North America, have exploded in a riot of color with a rare “superbloom” of millions of wildflowers. The flowers have blanketed the desert valley to an extent not seen since 2005. The bloom started in the southern part of the Californian wilderness and is now moving north, displaying colorful species including the golden evening primrose (Camissonia brevipes), notchleaf phacelia (Phacelia crenulata) and fields of desert gold (Geraea canescens). ... The unusual spectacle, unofficially dubbed a superbloom, has been triggered by a series of storms in October that brought heavy rainfall to parts of the park, including a burst of 3in of rain in just five hours. Death Valley normally averages just 2in of rain a year. This rainfall, which the National Park Service has attributed to El Niño conditions that have soaked parts of California, has transformed a landscape that has a beauty usually considered a little more stark, featuring salt flats, sand dunes and scrub.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 7:05 am 
I remember thinking, when El Nino set up and there was so much rain in California in the Fall, that this might be the year for superbloom I look forward to retirement when I can up and go at a moments notice and experience this

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 am 
I wish I could just put everything on hold and go down there to see it!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun Feb 28, 2016 12:41 pm 
We visited in 2005 the last 'superbloom' and it was outstanding. I have been following posts in a Yahoo group "Where to photograph in California" which is really a group focused on wildflowers. They have been talking about the bloom. It sounds like it might be wrapping up right now (moving north and higher). The area right now that is outstanding is the western slopes of the Southern Sierras (Tehachapi north to east of Fresno (hwy 168). The hills are golden with California poppies. Interestingly the bloom forecast for Antelope Valley and east side of the Valley is not so good.