Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 2:33 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 7:05 am 
Those look like fire hoses in picture #3.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 9:02 am 
The Navel shipyard is a National Historic Landmark and will probably have a historian attached to it. I'd contact the local museum for a referral. Also, if those are hoses for shipboard fires the metal attachment may have the letters US or Navy inscribed on them.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 1:10 pm 
The boards make me think of increasing the tower's radar reflectivity - in keeping with the tech of the era. Both the shipyard and the airport are close by. Will have to go exploring - hadn't thought of poking around that hill.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 2:23 pm 
IanB wrote:
The boards make me think of increasing the tower's radar reflectivity
Wood is a poor radar reflector. If painted, they could have been an "aid to navigation" . I'd check to see if the tower appears on nautical charts for the area and era.

ArcDome

ArcDome
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 3:46 pm 
Some info can be found here: http://www.kitsapsun.com/outdoors/lookouts-worth-keeping-watch-over-ep-1247984835-354515841.html According to the article Kresek is aware of the tower:
Quote:
Kitsap Lookout, once located less than a mile east of Bremerton’s Union River Reservoir, was built in 1940 but abandoned about 10 years later. It’s a lookout that has perplexed Kresek for years. “It’s up for discussion if it ever was used as a lookout,” he said. “It had a long wooden wall, maybe 30 feet, on one side, almost like a guide marker for ships.” Overlooking Sinclair Inlet and Bremerton’s shipyard, the structure might have served a naval or maritime purpose, Kresek said.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 6:22 pm 
Congratulations on finding a way to access the tower without trespassing. up.gif I was guilty when I accessed it. My buddy climbed the tower, but didn't take any pictures, despite the view. As far as it's origins, you and Craig are far more knowledgeable than anyone I know.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 9:34 am 
The Aermotor windmill company made the small model lookout towers and cabins for the government. They were 7' by 7' cabins. If that is the measurement at the top of the tower it might mean that it used to be a government lookout. Maybe duel purpose. http://www.nhlr.org/Lookouts/Lookout.aspx?id=736
Aermoter
Aermoter

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 10:32 am 
My guess from the vintage is that it had something to do with WWII air defense of PSNS. During the war there were barrage balloons AA guns and spotting towers all over the area. AA sub net closed Rich Passage. Some of the towers continued into the cold war and were manned by Civilian Air Spotters.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 10:46 am 
Agree. The navel shipyards were vital to fighting the Japanese in the Aleutian Islands, etc.. The US entered the war in 1941 after Pearl Harbor.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 pm 

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jan 12, 2016 11:47 am 
Right Pic. - Behind The McCall, Idaho Ranger Station.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jan 12, 2016 12:57 pm 
The pictured tower and cabin above once sat on a remote Idaho mountain and the Forest Service was going to destroy it until some young fellow with a mule asked to carefully disassemble it and remove it. He apparently spent some time unbolting the whole contraption and hauling it away. Now it sits behind the Ranger Station. It demonstrates that it's possible there was a cabin originally on the Kitsap tower but that it was taken off. Maybe it's now a guard house inside the Navel Shipyard.

Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Mar 03, 2016 6:34 am 
I would not want to see those fine trails taken away because people were using the access to break the law and play in the watershed.The internet is a powerful thing. Just food for thought.