Forum Index > Trail Talk > New Reservation System for Olympic National Park Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Langdon Greene

Langdon Greene
PostFri Apr 12, 2013 7:00 pm 
wolfs wrote:
For somewhere like the Olympics where the possible routes are many and varied and there are dozens of discrete camping designations in one rough area (like Solduc basin) it's challenging for even veterans of the process to provide adequate guidance in the alternates in printed form. It was easy over the phone. Why couldn't they do phone appointments at least (this was de facto anyways, you usually got a callback from the WIC rather than live person the first time.)
True that. Good points.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
legendofmike

legendofmike
PostMon Mar 07, 2016 5:33 pm 
Its bull crap, right? I would rather risk not having a permit and getting fined than submitting to the federal monopoly of nature of what we are all entitled to as human beings.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 12:16 am 
Man. Whiners. Maybe they could keep the phone reservations if they charged more money so they could afford someone to answer the phone. This IS the federal government. They have wars to start and walls to build, remember? Glacier charges a similar fee. All national parks do, and lots of people want to go there. They have to manage it some how. Ironically, I remember my parents freaking out over 5 dollar a night camp spots... the kind with bathrooms and showers and ranger talks and those cute little Jr ranger buttons back in the 80s.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 11:03 am 
NPS maintenance backlog is about 10x their annual budget -- radio spot this morning. They're gonna have to turn the whole thing over to Disney. NPS, Inc.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
contour5

contour5
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 1:31 pm 
Here's the current fee schedule: Entrance Fees 2014 2015 2016 2017 Vehicle (7 days;all park entrances) $15 $20 $25 no change Motorcycle (7 days;all park entrances) $5 $10 $15 $20 Person (7 days;all park entrances $5 $7 $10 no change Annual Pass (good for one year from purchase date;good for pass holder and vehicle occupants at all park entrances) $30 $40 $50 no change Campground Fees Current 2015 2016 2017 $10-$18 $15-$22 no change no change Overnight Wilderness Use Permits Registration Fee (per group) $5 discontinued no change no change Nightly Fee (per person 16 and older only) $2 $5 $5 $7 Annual Wilderness Pass (per person;$15 for each additional household member) $30 $35 $35 $45 So, some hefty increases, but you can still backpack in the park all summer for $85.
Quote:
Is it because it's a National Park and funded differently from National Forests?
Much higher levels of maintainance and administration in the NPs. They're designed for carloads of obese tourists to roll up and have a swell time without getting too far from the vehicle.
Quote:
Its bull crap, right? I would rather risk not having a permit and getting fined than submitting to the federal monopoly of nature of what we are all entitled to as human beings.
Then fined is what you'll likely get. The "federal monopoly of nature" is by consensus. If you don't like the regulations, there are legal avenues for bringing about change. Just flaunting the rules will result in time wasted by park staff who have more important things to do. The NF is mostly free- why not simply go there instead if you find the NP fees too burdensome or morally repugnant/unconstitutional/an affront to the very concept of natural human entitlement? I think the National Parks are still a pretty good deal.

RodF

RodF
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 7:55 pm 
legendofmike wrote:
I would rather risk not having a permit and getting fined than submitting to the federal monopoly of nature of what we are all entitled to as human beings.
I do wish the majority of Americans agreed with Mike. Congress instituted fees and can abolish them and fully fund our National Parks. And National Forests. And the legislature, our State Parks. But most voters apparently don't... frown.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Mar 08, 2016 7:56 pm 
It's 2016. We've got cars that can drive themselves, robots that can walk on their own, and have sent pictures back from Mars. How do we not have the option of applying for a wilderness permit online? ffs.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostWed Mar 09, 2016 8:25 am 

Back to top Reply to topic
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 10:08 am 
Quick question about the Annual Wilderness Pass - that covers all back country camping fees in ONP? But not campground fees, correct? And those are just per person, right?

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Mar 10, 2016 10:25 am 
I really wish we could just fully fund public lands so that we could abolish fees entirely. You'd no longer have to staff entry stations, or have rangers waste time checking passes, and you'd no longer have long lines of people waiting to get into parks.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/