Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Help!!! I need a decent suit quickly for not too much $
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Mar 27, 2016 5:42 pm 
I am retired and typically wear a suit maybe once a year (if that) for weddings or funerals. My son is getting married and just TODAY let me know he'd like me to get a new suit (since my wife has convinced him, possibly justifiably, that my 15 year old suit doesn't look all that great) for his engagement party next weekend (April 2). I had been planning to just wear slacks and a nice shirt, so this isn't a lot of notice! He even offered to pay for it (which of course shames me into doing it and paying for it myself). This suit does not need to be especially durable, since it will rarely be worn, but it should look "decent." Plus I need it by next Friday at the latest. Can anyone suggest where to go to satisfy the above, preferably for not a lot of money?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Mar 27, 2016 6:00 pm 
Can't you rent a suit for the occasion?

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Mar 27, 2016 7:54 pm 
RichP wrote:
Can't you rent a suit for the occasion?
X2. While I have a suit that is sufficient for most weddings, I rented a suit when my brother got married. Look at it this way... the cost of renting a really nice suit is cheaper than purchasing a mediocre suit that you might wear a few times before the moths get to it. You can rent two suits, one for the engagement party and one for the wedding, cheaper than a mediocre suit. But with less than a weeks notice you are cutting it close. You better be browsing the local tux shops online for a rental tonight and sizing for the rental tomorrow. Otherwise you'll have to purchase a new suit from whatever a retailer has in stock.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 27, 2016 8:04 pm 
http://www.menguin.com/ Tux With Tails rental $89

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Mar 27, 2016 8:21 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
http://www.menguin.com/ Tux With Tails rental $89
up.gif I'm going to bookmark that website. But I did notice this...
Quote:
We ship your TuxBox from Menguin (filled with jacket, pants, shoes and everything else you selected) 10-11 days before your event from one of our 6 national distribution centers.
That's not enough time for Navy salad.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSun Mar 27, 2016 8:37 pm 
Mens Wearhouse You should be able to find a suit on sale for under $300 Bellevue Galleria, northgate and downtown wear your good slacks and perhaps you can get away with a new jacket alone

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Mar 27, 2016 10:16 pm 
markh752 wrote:
Quote:
We ship your TuxBox from Menguin (filled with jacket, pants, shoes and everything else you selected) 10-11 days before your event from one of our 6 national distribution centers.
That's not enough time for Navy salad.
Thank you for mentioning that, Mark. But I suppose there may be other rental places that don't have that time requirement. The only thing is -- I don't need a tux or dinner jacket, just a regular suit (most people, aside from the wedding families, will be wearing fairly casual stuff, some even blue jeans; however, my future daughter-in-law is really hoping that the family members dress up to "suit" level.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 7:25 am 
Check Nordstrom Rack before going to Men's Warehouse (mostly junk). Navy Salad, what size do you wear?

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 9:22 am 
check out salvation army thrift store or other similar thrift stores.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 10:20 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Navy Salad, what size do you wear?
Haven't been measured in a while, but probably about a 40 inch chest, 34" waist -- I typically wear a Medium in most things.

mike

mike
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 11:44 am 
suit?? Please refresh my memory.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 12:09 pm 
mike wrote:
suit?? Please refresh my memory.
Its the uniform you wear to a job interview, then put it into the closet until the next time you have to go job hunting, and of course by then, it is completely out of date. I have never understood the need to suit-up for an interview, in an outfit they will never see you in again when you work there. You might get one or two more chances to wear it in the case of weddings or funerals. smile.gif

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 12:32 pm 
A friend picked up a jacket at the thrift store ($3) for his daughter's wedding then passed it to me for mine. I donated it back to the thrift store. A suit around here means either mormons or lawyers.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 1:44 pm 
boot up wrote:
I have never understood the need to suit-up for an interview, in an outfit they will never see you in again when you work there.
In fact I once went to an interview all suited up only to find it was a startup type of company where everyone wore shorts and flip flops literally. Heck if you were wearing a reasonably clean and not too tattered AC/DC rocker tee shirt you were probably among the best dressed in the company. To say it was awkward would be an understatement. I didn't feel comfortable and I could tell they weren't comfortable with me either. I'm convinced the suit backfired in this situation. Needless to say I didn't get the job... From then on for interviews I always find some way to find out about the office dress code in general if I don't know have any doubts or questions. Nothing wrong with dressing up a notch from the typical office attire but.... You have to know what that attire is. I'm pretty sure any suit I have now I'd probably have to lose 30 lbs at least to fit into (the pants anyway), it's been that long since I wore one.