Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What to expect during recovery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Apr 01, 2016 11:35 am 
I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery after ripping it away from its anchor point. Anyone have advice as to what to expect in regards to carrying a loaded pack this summer? I use a McHale pack so I'm able to transfer the weight to my hips. would hate to cancel my high mileage trips planned for this year.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Apr 01, 2016 1:44 pm 
When was your surgery? Normal rehab protocol seems about 24 weeks. I've had RC surgery on both shoulders, and didn't have a problem carrying a pack immediately following rehab, nor in the last 4-6 weeks of the 24 week rehab where you've got range of motion mostly back and you're just regaining final strength. In fact, I was using a daypack prior to being out of the sling - just creatively transferring weight to the good shoulder. Carrying the weight shouldn't be a issue. Just be careful while hoisting / un-hoisting the pack.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Apr 01, 2016 3:52 pm 
I've had shoulder surgery (torn supraspinadus) and ruptured bicep long head tendon in the same injury. IME, getting the pack from the ground to my back was a problem for awhile. Once on my back, no problem.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Apr 03, 2016 3:29 pm 
Thanks for your comments. Looks like the hoisting the pack onto the back will be the biggest issue.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost